Stuff you've cooked/baked/made today

Anything from pizza to pasta, from steak to cake.
ChrisW

Re: Stuff you've cooked/baked/made today

Post by ChrisW »

Noggin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:32 pm I will add a pod to the sugar jar!! LOL
Do! Vanilla sugar is ace - I made my girls basic little sponge cakes with it for their lunch boxes throughout high-school.It's a little change that makes a big difference.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

ChrisW wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:37 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:32 pm I will add a pod to the sugar jar!! LOL
Do! Vanilla sugar is ace - I made my girls basic little sponge cakes with it for their lunch boxes throughout high-school.It's a little change that makes a big difference.
I will try it. I mostly make brownies, ginger cake/biscuits and bakewells!! But will try putting a pod in the jar (or two, it's a big jar!) .

I don't really eat cake, I'll try what I make, but then share it with friends rather than keep it to eat. So probably don't have the taste for it (I'm also embarrassed to say that I miss Mr Kiplings Iced Fancies and a couple of other things, which are, as my BDad would have said, plastic versions!! LOL)

Didn't make the viennese things today as the girl I want to share them with is away until end of the week, but I'll look forward to using proper pods/flavour in them as I am pretty sure the bought stuff doesn't have the best ingredients/flavours :D

Actually, that was another answer to @Mr. Dazzle - making my own vanilla essence means I know exactly whats in it, and the plastic bottle in my fridge is very very old!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Actually, anyone know if custard freezes and defrosts ok? I could make custard for one and freeze the rest if it does!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Noggin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:59 pm /biscuits and bakewells!!
Ideal for both!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Noggin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:00 pm Actually, anyone know if custard freezes and defrosts ok? I could make custard for one and freeze the rest if it does!!
Frozen Custard goes by another name, one you've probably heard.

Ice Cream :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:00 pm Actually, anyone know if custard freezes and defrosts ok? I could make custard for one and freeze the rest if it does!!
Wouldn't freeze it for long (high fat content) and have never done it for the same reason. (I wouldn't try and freeze full-fat milk) but if it's thoroughly heated/sterilised it should keep in the fridge for a few days in a sealed, sterile container. ie Tupperware that's had boiling water in it. (M&S do 'fresh' custard that lasts a while).

Can't believe I'm contemplating an excess of custard...I'd just drink it. :lol:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:31 pm

Doesn't reheat quite the same tho :lol: :lol: :lol:

Count Steer wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:31 pm
Wouldn't freeze it for long (high fat content) and have never done it for the same reason. (I wouldn't try and freeze full-fat milk) but if it's thoroughly heated/sterilised it should keep in the fridge for a few days in a sealed, sterile container. ie Tupperware that's had boiling water in it. (M&S do 'fresh' custard that lasts a while).

Can't believe I'm contemplating an excess of custard...I'd just drink it. :lol:
See, I probably could have just drunk it a while ago, but have reduced my excess consumption in the last few years so I do try and freeze excess for another day. I have 'pudding' so rarely that custard would go off before I needed it again if it was in the fridge!!

I'll have to find a friend to share it with!! :mrgreen:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:31 pm

Sir has a very good point but most commercial ice cream is mainly sugar, how long does 'proper' ice cream freeze for?

However, I am now transfixed by the idea of vanilla custard ice cream with those thin crispy wafers in.....want!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yeah tis good point.

I make my own ice cream quite often (got a machine) and I've actually used shop bought fresh custard as a base from time to time. If you've got people coming round you can whip up something which knocks the socks off any shop bought ice cream even with shop bought custard as the main ingredient!

It doesn't keep...it ices up and goes grainy after a couple of days in the freezer.

But if you're gonna heat it up / melt it...does that matter?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:45 pm Yeah tis good point.

I make my own ice cream quite often (got a machine) and I've actually used shop bought fresh custard as a base from time to time. If you've got people coming round you can whip up something which knocks the socks off any shop bought ice cream even with shop bought custard as the main ingredient!

It doesn't keep...it ices up and goes grainy after a couple of days in the freezer.

But if you're gonna heat it up / melt it...does that matter?
I really don't know. I just have this thing in my mind that something that's mainly full fat and egg yolks isn't really for freezing. I'll have to look at M&S 'fresh' custard and see if that says 'do not freeze'. I may just be running on out of date ideas so it will be interesting if anyone in the custard business can enlighten. Formula400 or Mr Moofo maybe?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My mum used to have a book - I bet she's still got it actually - titled simply Will it Freeze?

Sadly she's not at home right now.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Viennese Whirls -

I think these are called Viennese Fingers?? Not sure. But also know that I haven't mastered the chocolate bit! I just melted some choc and spread it on the biscuit. I think something should have been added so I could have 'poured' it on!

Seems I should have made a batch of the biscuit mix for each type of biscuit - definitely not enough of either! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

It just happened that I had a courgette still in my garden so today I made chocolate courgette cake. 600 calories a slice. Now the courgettes have all been used, I'm back to making parsnip scones and parsnip cake.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

IMG_0125.jpeg
IMG_0125.jpeg (492.84 KiB) Viewed 272 times
Tarte Tartin. Just getting some practice in for Christmas desserts
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Dammit, that was something I wanted to have a go at - forgot to buy apples!! LOL

Looks good :D
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Pink Lady apples are the best according to James Martin. He did one of his master class sessions on Saturday morning a few weeks ago, it’s still on ITVX, I think it is the episode with the Fletchers on it.

From memory, he used whole apples in his on the show, I tried but couldn’t find my corer. For Christmas, I’m toying with quartering the apples, prepping them in advance in foil pie dishes as individual servings then reheating them on demand rather than attempting to turn out an larger one.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Silly Car wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:49 pm Pink Lady apples are the best according to James Martin. He did one of his master class sessions on Saturday morning a few weeks ago, it’s still on ITVX, I think it is the episode with the Fletchers on it.

From memory, he used whole apples in his on the show, I tried but couldn’t find my corer. For Christmas, I’m toying with quartering the apples, prepping them in advance in foil pie dishes as individual servings then reheating them on demand rather than attempting to turn out an larger one.
It was seeing his master class thingy that made me think of doing it. Just doesn't seem worth it for one!!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Obviously it makes a terrible dessert, but Beetroot Tarte Tartin is a brilliant autumn dish :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Over the weekend I made carrot cake, mainly for my young colleague who's birthday I'd missed :( But, it turned out a bit big, so other friends got to share it!

Then I made some Viennese Whirls - shared them out, remembered to photo the last one, before I tried it!!

Then I made some sausage rolls - think it's the first time I've done that. Half with apple :D :D :D - shared those too :D

Also made a black cherry and apple crumble and custard for some friends as they cooked the roast :D :D

Today - I made fish pie. Bloody hell that took all bloody afternoon!!! But it did taste very very nice!! One for me and six for the freezer!! :D :D :D

The new-to-me second hand freezer arrives thursday or friday, so I'll be able to batch cook more ready for the winter :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I misread that and was wondering why there are peas in your crumble.