Tyre pair deals.

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Dodgy69

Tyre pair deals.

Post by Dodgy69 »

These seem the cheapest. Reviews seem OK. I'd imagine they'll work fine but possibly not last too long. Possibly my next purchase. 👍

https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/cst-ri ... rs-2628603
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Tyre pair deals.

Post by weeksy »

Ummmmmm :shock: :wtf:
Ant

Post by Ant »

I don't buy tyres anymore, too expensive.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Ant wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:31 am I don't buy tyres anymore, too expensive.
constructive answer as always
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Well they are cheap, but I suspect looking on M&P for your sizes I'd be paying £25 more and getting these Pirelli's. They are old hat now and I suspect not the best in todays world but not sure I'd trust me staying upright to an unknown tyre company. But that's just me, they might be fine.

https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/pirell ... w-ptp-0017
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:41 am Well they are cheap, but I suspect looking on M&P for your sizes I'd be paying £25 more and getting these Pirelli's. They are old hat now and I suspect not the best in todays world but not sure I'd trust me staying upright to an unknown tyre company. But that's just me, they might be fine.

Either that yes or spend another £50 on top of his and get something brilliant... i mean sure the ones above are cheap.. but cheap is only good if they actually work well.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

You should definitely get some..... and let us know what they are like :)
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

I'd never heard of them so looked them up. turns out that CST stands for Cheng Shin Tyre and they're the same company that used to make knock-off Comp III BMX tyres in the old days!

Also, I think this is their only road motorcycle tyre and it launched more than two years ago - I reckon if it was a 'bargain but actually pretty good' I'd have heard about them by now. I'd spend a bit more.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:45 am
Supermofo wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:41 am Well they are cheap, but I suspect looking on M&P for your sizes I'd be paying £25 more and getting these Pirelli's. They are old hat now and I suspect not the best in todays world but not sure I'd trust me staying upright to an unknown tyre company. But that's just me, they might be fine.

Either that yes or spend another £50 on top of his and get something brilliant... i mean sure the ones above are cheap.. but cheap is only good if they actually work well.
Yeah, when I looked on there I'd be paying over £200 at least and getting something much better. Having had recent experience of OK tyres (not total rubbish) it's just not worth it for the extra you get for good tyres and by good even a gen or 2 older from current gets you good tyres.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

This place got them cheapo's for £147 pair posted. I am a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to tyre's, 🤔 well most things actually. I'm in no rush, so plenty of thinking time.

Not sure how their prices hold up on better brands. 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://tyretectrading.co.uk/tyre-finde ... ycle-tyres
Yamaha rocket 3
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I used to run Maxxis on my supermotos, loved 'em!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Tyres are cheap compared to bike bitz,etc. I'd rather spend a few quid than be a guinea pig.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Dodgy69 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:39 pm This place got them cheapo's for £147 pair posted. I am a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to tyre's, 🤔 well most things actually. I'm in no rush, so plenty of thinking time.

Not sure how their prices hold up on better brands. 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://tyretectrading.co.uk/tyre-finde ... ycle-tyres
To be fair mate you rocked up for a trackday on some Maxxis tyres you bought on a pair deal and they didnt exactly hold you back ........ i need new tyres before Pembrey as my current GT2's are knackered but they have done 6000 miles of local work, touring and a couple of trackdays. If i want to replace them like for like then its 320 quid shopping around for the tyres plus fitting, i can get Michelin PR5's for 280 plus fitting
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yamaha rocket 3
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

TBH, I'd rather work on value
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Well i ended up getting the GT2 for the Ducati and glad i did as a decent new pair reminded me just how good they are :thumbup:

For the auld Fazer i went cheaper and got a set of Contimotion for 190 quid off Ebay from the tyre guys as i have used a rear one them in the past on the Fazer and they gave decent grip and wear. Its not like i will be using it for trackdays so just commuting and instructing ;)
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I've been using cheapo's a few years now and find them absolutely fine. Maybe not for commuters clocking up the miles as longevity is possibly their only let down.

For part-timers like me, all good. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:04 pm I used to run Maxxis on my supermotos, loved 'em!
Used to run them back on my ratty commuters back in the 90s. People swore there would be immediate death but they seemed no different to the Bridgestones I was already using. Subsequently I had mainly Avons for decades because they seemed ok and why not?

I recently bought some never-heard-of-brand fairly cheapo front tyre for my current ratter (there was nothing else available locally and I needed one pdq for a longer trip) and tbh it's been absolutely fine as well.

Overall I don't think I'm that sensitive to tyres, unless they're really worn or the pressures are funked.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I've done track days on Maxxis sport touring tyres, I think they were called Super Diamonds, they were fine, gave loads of warning before sliding and were better than a lot of sportier tyres in the wet.
Honda Owner
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Maxxis tyres are from CST who are hardly unknown... they are Cheng Sing Tyres, the largest manufacturer of bicycle tyres in the world. They also make tyres for all-terrain vehicles, cars, trucks, forklifts, agricultural and lawn and garden equipment... and motorcycles.

On the contrary side, I had to fit a Maxxis rear - from the Diamond range - after my 600 Hornet picked up an unrepairable puncture on a trip away from home.

It instantly produced weird steering characteristics (it felt like the rear tyre was flat - it wasn't, I double-checked), was slithery on wet surfaces (my usual ContiMotions wouldn't even have so much as twitched), wore fast (by around 2000 miles it was halfway through the tread) and finally the tread showed some big splits down the grooves - I suspected the tyre was beginning to delaminate.

To be honest, I was glad to chuck it in the bin.

I'm not precious when it comes to tyres and have been happily using the less-than-expensive ContiMotions - they were the same price and in a different league. As the ContiMotions have been discontinued, I've been using Pirelli Angel GTs for the last year or so and have no bad things to say. They're not knee-down trackday tyres but they work fine in all conditions on the road and look to be lasting about 8k on the rear.
Advanced trainer since 1997
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskills.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills