Cutting up veg

Anything from pizza to pasta, from steak to cake.
Mussels

Cutting up veg

Post by Mussels »

I'd like to find a motorised device that chops up salad and veg without pulverising them.
This is for someone who can't use a knife easily, mandolines are out bacause we are too far away from the nearest hospital.
All the chopping aids I look at have photos of them full of neatly chopped veg to the size I want but clearly weren't cut up by that machine. I've seen professional kitchen stuff that does what I want, is there anything for the domestic market that doesn't cost much more than £100 and doesn't need 2' of counter space?

I'm looking for something that does this, the reviews say this doesn't produce what the photo shows.
https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/ninj ... 89c266f492
Felix

Re: Cutting up veg

Post by Felix »

Bang, bang, bang, bang, check. Bang, bang, bang, bang, check. Bang, bang, bang, bang, check. Bang, bang, bang, bang, check. Kind of thing

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

That would probably do it but I'm looking for something that doesn't involve such a workout, there are loads of slicers and pulverisers around but not much seems to be able to dice no matter how many of them have marketing photos of them full of perfectly diced fruit & veg.
This looks good for the job but is a little spendy at £500.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/sage ... -peel-dice
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mussels wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:35 pm I'd like to find a motorised device that chops up salad and veg without pulverising them.
This is for someone who can't use a knife easily, mandolines are out bacause we are too far away from the nearest hospital.
All the chopping aids I look at have photos of them full of neatly chopped veg to the size I want but clearly weren't cut up by that machine. I've seen professional kitchen stuff that does what I want, is there anything for the domestic market that doesn't cost much more than £100 and doesn't need 2' of counter space?

I'm looking for something that does this, the reviews say this doesn't produce what the photo shows.
https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/ninj ... 89c266f492
How about something like a paper guillotine but with a knife edge? I could design and make one.

It wouldn't be motorised (!) but with a long handle and constrained blade motion, a person with limited mobility could safely use it.
“The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.”
Plato
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Thanks for the offer but I do most of the cooking anyway so it wouldn't get enough use to be worth it, that's where I'm at with the expensive thing above (as well as it not being dishwasher safe).
I was hoping someone would recommend one they have that does a great job and I'd get use out of as well, I think unfortunately what I want doesn't quite exist.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mussels wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:04 am ...I think unfortunately what I want doesn't quite exist.
Yes, I think I just said that.

I might make one anyway. :hmmm:
“The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.”
Plato
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mussels wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:04 am Thanks for the offer but I do most of the cooking anyway so it wouldn't get enough use to be worth it, that's where I'm at with the expensive thing above (as well as it not being dishwasher safe).
I was hoping someone would recommend one they have that does a great job and I'd get use out of as well, I think unfortunately what I want doesn't quite exist.

IIRC my Mum had something that might help, made by a French company, Moulinex or something like that.

It was basically a vertical mill with assorted blade, you opened up it's folding legs to stabilize it, chose your blade, dropped the veg in a small hopper, closed a lid to push them down (and to keep your fingers safe) and then turned a rotary handle. Chips or slices of veg came out the bottom. As I recall it it got used to chip up potatoes and swede for pasty making, but I think it had 3 or 4 blades for different sizes of bits. They probably make an electric version today.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

There was a thing called an 'autochop' possibly made by Zyliss back in the 70s? They were utterly rubbish!

It's quite a difficult process to automate for a range of veg. Probably needs a 2 stage process with adjustable blades if you want regular, uniform sized bits of different shaped ingredients (probably why good ones are chunky and expensive).

(There was a whole course dedicated to this sort of thing at uni - covered a bit more than veg though. One of the problems they were set was to sort ripe and unripe tomatoes - non-destructivley - as part of a high throughput process. The range of solutions students came up with, compared to the actual method usually used*, was hilarious).

*Incredibly simple, no moving parts apart from the conveyor/tomatoes.
Ant

Post by Ant »

I've got a Tefal Fresh Express, love it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:28 am *Incredibly simple, no moving parts apart from the conveyor/tomatoes.
Minimum wage Polish immigrant?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:34 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:28 am *Incredibly simple, no moving parts apart from the conveyor/tomatoes.
Minimum wage Polish immigrant?
Possibly watching in case something went wrong...but no, the tomatoes dropped a very short distance off the belt onto a slope with a small ridge across. The firm ones bounce over without bruising. (I think the slope tilted sideways so the others rolled off at 90°). Something like that anyway.

The blokes (it was all blokes) on the Industrial Engineering course came up with complicated things that checked the colour, gently prodded or squeezed them etc etc etc.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

:thumbup: