Online competitions for cars, bikes and tech goodies.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Online competitions for cars, bikes and tech goodies.

Post by Taipan »

Anyone else buy tickets for these? We know Craigyboy one his Tuono on revcomps and I buy a ticket or two on them now and again, normally for the top end prizes as I'd be looking to cash the prize in tbh. If I did win a Lambo or such like i'd have to own it for a month or so first! I like the way Revcomps offer a choice of either higher ticket/lower odds and lower ticket price/longer odds on the 2 M4s they have. Thee is certainly a growing buzz for these comp sites with many new ones emerging. Some of the new ones seem to be committing financial suicide to get themselves out there. Aspire comps must have lost a few quid on their last two vehicle ones and their R1 looks like it will be woefully undersold, so crazy odds on that.

Look at this lucky lucky lucky...

weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Online competitions for cars, bikes and tech goodies.

Post by weeksy »

Not something i've ever done, but there's an equivalent cycling one too, i know a couple of guys who've won big (in a cycling context) on them.

It's certainly tempting.

For the sake of entertaining the thread, i've just entered :)

https://thedreambikecompetition.com/pro ... rigin-2021
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:22 am Not something i've ever done, but there's an equivalent cycling one too, i know a couple of guys who've won big (in a cycling context) on them.

It's certainly tempting.

For the sake of entertaining the thread, i've just entered :)

https://thedreambikecompetition.com/pro ... rigin-2021
Good point. A few of the online ones do MTB comps in their line ups, quite a few e-MTBs too.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

I won Foxy's first comp which was a set of Fox 36's and I know a few of the other winners. I still enter as I'd like the new Curtis Pinion drive hard tail and Mrs M says I've enough bicycles and need to spend money on the house.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

I’m still not sure that most of these are even legal in the UK which means if you get ripped off there would be no legal remedies ..
Craigyboy9

Post by Craigyboy9 »

On RevComps you have to answer a question as well, but it’s along the lines of “Where is Aprilia from?” And the drop down box gives you 3 options For example Slough, Fort William or Italy. I’m sure this must have something to do with the legalities of it all.

When I was chatting to Pete last week, he said that lockdown has been great for them as people are obviously stuck at home and a bit bored and it gives them a bit of buzz to enter. He also said they could afford to do a big high value draw for a Lamborghini or similar, but it would move away from their ethos of making the draws for machines that working class people would have an option to keep and enjoy rather than just have to sell on because the insurance/running costs were so prohibitive. That’s the main reason I entered their draws over anyone else’s.
Craigyboy9

Post by Craigyboy9 »

Simple maths on the Aprilia would be 1999 tickets at £9.70 is £19,390. Buying the bike could be anywhere between £10k and £13k Depending on the source. That’s £6-9k profit minus expenses And delivery costs. Not a bad return.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

The question, is there to turn it into a game if skill and chance rather than just a game if chance but there are some previous cases ( eg TV competitions) where the question was deemed so simple that it doesn’t represent a skill and so the competition was purely chance and therefore needed to be licensed as such a lottery ( but no current lottery type covers a lottery which is open to anyone nationally and doesn’t require membership , except Lotto which has its own legislation.)

I think they have been left alone as Gambling Commission is the only body with a national responsibility and they don’t cover any lotteries except Lotto and I doubt any single local authority has enough interest to be the one that’s pursues the matter.

I suppose it’s no more harmful than doing Lotto and with better odds.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

If I won this for a 99p ticket, i could afford to fix it when it eventually went wrong, as do all my KTMs lol!

https://www.7daysperformance.co.uk/prod ... superduke/
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:45 pm If I won this for a 99p ticket, i could afford to fix it when it eventually went wrong, as do all my KTMs lol!

I'd enter, but the question is too hard!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:03 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:45 pm If I won this for a 99p ticket, i could afford to fix it when it eventually went wrong, as do all my KTMs lol!

I'd enter, but the question is too hard!
Lol, check this one out then. It'll be the best odds going for a bike comp I reckon...

https://www.aspirecomps.co.uk/competitions/yamahar1/
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

That's what I was thinking when looking at the cars, if people are buying tickets for a second hand car they can't possibly afford then they are going to get a nasty shock when the brake pads wear out.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mussels wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:09 pm

That's what I was thinking when looking at the cars, if people are buying tickets for a second hand car they can't possibly afford then they are going to get a nasty shock when the brake pads wear out.
I doubt people worry about that side of things. Own a supercar and when a warning light comes on, sell it to a dealer. You'll be tens of thousands of pounds upon your ticket price and have a hell of a memory.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Couldn't decide on whether to buy tickets for the SuperDuke or the R1, so I went for the house instead! :? :lol:

https://raffall.com/26540/enter-raffle- ... -dale-tate
G.P

Post by G.P »

They're just raffles. I haven;t won a raffle since I won a meat pack at Clarke's beach Golf club about 25 years ago!

I keep seeing the BOTB adds on YT, I do fancy the Idea of a mid range Porsche with £30k cash in the boot. they use spot the ball as the "game of skill" to pick the winner.

I occasionally buy a Lottery ticket and haven't won anything for a while but did manage a £1500 win around 18 months ago.

might go for a bike on BOTB..
G.P

Post by G.P »

G.P wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:04 pm They're just raffles. I haven;t won a raffle since I won a meat pack at Clarke's beach Golf club about 25 years ago!

I keep seeing the BOTB adds on YT, I do fancy the Idea of a mid range Porsche with £30k cash in the boot. they use spot the ball as the "game of skill" to pick the winner.

I occasionally buy a Lottery ticket and haven't won anything for a while but did manage a £1500 win around 18 months ago.

might go for a bike on BOTB..

So I put a couple of crosses to win an Alpina 110 instead..... :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I'd never buy one, but would like to have one sitting there only owing £6.99!

https://dreamcargiveaways.co.uk/current ... rna-fe350/
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Nah, zero interest in raffles.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Not something I usually do, except for the Gadget Show, although I think I had a couple of goes to win a house a few years back.

But sod it, my bank account is flush due to Covid so I've chucked 25 quid at a Rolex, A kTM Superduke and an Audi R8 :o
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Just bought a couple for the R1. No idea why, as i don't really want one! :wtf: :lol:

https://www.aspirecomps.co.uk/competiti ... 1ylttJwQ0A