Daft Qn time, shift shaft arm bolt torque?

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
weeksy
Site Admin

Daft Qn time, shift shaft arm bolt torque?

Post by weeksy »

Imageshift by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

When replacing my footrest assembly earlier i was wondering what i need to do up the bolt that holds the shift shaft in place.

3 on the diagram above.

It's a 5mm Allen bolt, the clearance is very tight for getting a tool in.

Anyway, it seems to be 14Nm from the service manual, but i have no way of getting the allen head socket and torque wrench on it.

As you'll know, the bolt goes in the dipped our ridge in the middle of the shaft with the splines.

So, if you fit it and start tightening the bolt you still get a bit of wiggle/play in there, until you tighten a bit more.... but the 'more' feels to me like it may be more than 14Nm from testing on other things i have.. So should it have wiggle/play or is it basically tighten until it stops wiggling?
cheb

Re: Daft Qn time, shift shaft arm bolt torque?

Post by cheb »

For that just use a normal allen key, you be hard pressed to get it badly wrong. M6 thread I presume.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

cheb wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:39 pm For that just use a normal allen key, you be hard pressed to get it badly wrong. M6 thread I presume.
Yeah but, until there's no lateral wiggle in it? Or is it supposed to 'float'
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Is it just the clamp (item 3) that's wiggling? Or is there movement in the shaft it clamps to?
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Lutin wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:44 pm Is it just the clamp (item 3) that's wiggling? Or is there movement in the shaft it clamps to?
Just the clamp, shaft is secure. Basically the cut out in the shaft is bigger than the diameter of the bolt, so if you don't do it tighter it can wiggle about. But I don't know if that's normal.
I checked the zx6 and that has no wiggle so I'm assuming no is the answer, but wanted to check
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Curious. On my Transalp, the gap in the equivalent of item no 3 never closes up. But there is a little bit of lateral movement of the gearbox shift shaft.
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Lutin wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:14 pm Curious. On my Transalp, the gap in the equivalent of item no 3 never closes up. But there is a little bit of lateral movement of the gearbox shift shaft.
tiny bit if i give it a tug, minimal though
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

inewham wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:06 pm If its loose you knacker the splines on the shaft which is a bigger issue, so tighten it until it grips snug. If you go mad the worst that happens is you strip the thread in part 3 in which case put a nut on the other side but in years of cranking down cast number 3s on 70s bikes I've never stripped one and they have a lot less give that one which from the drawing looks like a mild steel one with the arm welded on.
+1

This is one where commonsense can prevail. You'll put a bit of spring tension on the clamp which will help keep the bolt in. Snug her up, and move on with life.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

If you are doing the nut up tight, and the shift still wobbles on the shaft, you may me putting the bolt in from the wrong side.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

chillitt wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:35 pm If you are doing the nut up tight, and the shift still wobbles on the shaft, you may me putting the bolt in from the wrong side.
It's threaded on one side, so can only go in 1 way.