£41.99 for CE level 2 waterproof gloves

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Hot_Air

£41.99 for CE level 2 waterproof gloves

Post by Hot_Air »

In case it's helpful, Garibaldi Motion gloves are among the few waterproof gloves certified to CE level 2. XLMoto currently has them reduced from £65.99 to £41.99 (but in a limited range of sizes): https://www.xlmoto.co.uk/product/gariba ... PM-2732716

MCGearHub gave them a highly positive review, but I’ve not handled them personally.

The other waterproof gloves certified to CE level 2 are much more expensive (Five's RFX WP and TFX1 GTX gloves). However, it appears we’ve got a growing number of CE level 2 gloves.
The Spin Doctor

Re: £41.99 for CE level 2 waterproof gloves

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Ta

Since my current gloves aren't in the least waterproof (nor CE approved come to that), I've just bought one of the few remaining pairs... hopefully they'll be a fit but worth a punt at £39.99 plus a fiver delivery.
Advanced trainer since 1997
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskills.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

@The Spin Doctor Let us know what they’re like in reality!
The Spin Doctor

Hot_Air wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:46 pm @The Spin Doctor Let us know what they’re like in reality!
Will do!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskills.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

If anyone’s interested in CE Level 2 summer gloves under £100, Oxford Nexus 1.0 gloves are just out:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... s%20gloves

And an extra tenner gets you kangaroo leather with Lindstrands Bergby gloves (CE Level 2, too). I wonder how much longer Dainese can get away with charging 3-4 times this price for non-kangaroo race gloves that are only Level 1.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Hot_Air wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:26 pm I wonder how much longer Dainese can get away with charging 3-4 times this price for non-kangaroo race gloves that are only Level 1.
Until Oxford can get away from the 'cheap shit that'll do for a CBT' reputation
Until Oxford feature on the starting grid in BSB, WSB, MotoGP

75% of riders couldn't give a flying hoot about safety levels, and buy for brand, looks etc.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

I agree that 75% of riders bought their gear because of the brand, looks etc. Nonetheless, 25% is a significant consumer segment (and likely growing thanks to Bennetts, MotoCAP, etc.). And Dainese’s main rival, Alpinestars, is way ahead in CE and MotoCAP ratings.

@The Spin Doctor suggested growing awareness of MotoCAP, and I suspect he's correct (slowly but surely).

Regarding reputation, Lindstrands is part of Halvarssons, which has a reputation for being "near Rukka levels of quality for half the money".
The Spin Doctor

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:20 pm
Hot_Air wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:26 pm I wonder how much longer Dainese can get away with charging 3-4 times this price for non-kangaroo race gloves that are only Level 1.
Until Oxford can get away from the 'cheap shit that'll do for a CBT' reputation
Until Oxford feature on the starting grid in BSB, WSB, MotoGP

75% of riders couldn't give a flying hoot about safety levels, and buy for brand, looks etc.
Dainese have been trading on their support for MotoGP and punting out over-priced, poor quality riding kit for getting on for thirty years.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:29 pm Dainese have been trading on their support for MotoGP and punting out over-priced, poor quality riding kit for getting on for thirty years.
You’re paying for the design and the name, but the products are a mixed bag. Some Dainese leathers get 4-star MotoCAP ratings.

But I’d be more protected smeared in margarine than wearing Dainese Galveston trousers: https://motocap.com.au/product/galvestone-d2-gore
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:29 pm Dainese have been trading on their support for MotoGP and punting out over-priced, poor quality riding kit
In a change of heart, Dainese launched over-priced, high quality kit: the latest Full Metal 7 gloves are CE Level 2.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/914900

However, who pays nearly £400 for a pair of gloves? :o

Considering they’re gloves for warm and dry conditions, they wouldn’t be much use for British summer weather :roll:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

My favourite summer gloves are Triumph branded, about 20 years old, not waterproof, not CE approved but comfy. They were black, the backs have faded to silver grey in the sun. No armour either.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!