Chinese chef knife

Anything from pizza to pasta, from steak to cake.
Screwdriver

Chinese chef knife

Post by Screwdriver »

I blagged an old circular saw blank to play with. 1.75mm mystery metal but it is hard!

chop chop...

It has an awkward looking end but I kinda like it because it looks a bit "wrong". I may square it off...

It is a good size but I left the handle large so I could whittle it down to fit.

Modeling clay to find the right dimensions.

Then make it happen.

Also gives me a few ideas for the handle scales, probably hexagonal.

Getting the primary bevel in was the most onerous task but I am happy with the result.

Next step, drill the fixings and decide what to do with the final handle shape before hand sanding, make up some Corby bolts etc.

Might play with some offcuts to see if it is actually a decent knife making material! It is not a chopper. It will be way too delicate for that. More like an oversize razor...
Screwdriver

Re: Chinese chef knife

Post by Screwdriver »

Well I am slightly gobsmacked. Couldn't make my mind up between turning up some Corby bolts or hand sanding the blade. So I had a rummage around for some suitable material for the scales....

Many years ago I chopped down a plum cherry (or cherry plum suit yourself) that had a dodgy looking base and kept leaning over my van. It sort of went up for a bit then turned 30 degrees leaning over.

Lots of splits and cracks, it had to go.

But I saved most (if not all) of it.

Because: wow!

I have a fair bit of it...

...and today I decided to pop one open. Just a little 18 inch long log, now 2x9 inches.

It's beautiful in there.

Pictures do not do it justice.

Beautiful figuring and nice colours which just keep getting better the more I flatten it out.

So assuming 2-3 years has done it's job, this should make some super nice handles.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Now I come to look at some of those back catalogue of pictures. Looks like the wood pile is laburnum, not plum. I did use some of that for my last knife.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

That's gorgeous! The knife and the plum/laburnum!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Really enjoying that you are doing these amazing threads again. Please keep it up!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

I have a cleaver shaped thing like that. It's one my sister got me from when she was working in Malaysia and only has a single bevel on the right side.
It's a fair heavy thing but I use it for smashing (with the side) then chopping garlick mostly.
I'll fire a pic up but its not a pretty thing to look at, the handle cracked and I stuck it back on with epoxy potting compound.

Seems like quite a few people make Ulu's from old circ sawblades as well.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I used laburnum for the other knife because it is poisonous. That did appeal to my darker side! (Still does). The cherry plum is unbelievably gorgeous. Looking forwards to getting some fine wood stock out of that pile.

I really ought to be making YouTube vids for this stuff, I have assembled all the equipment, just need motivation.

I have amassed a HUGE collection of recyclable knife/tool making steels. Everything from bearing shells, leaf springs, coil springs and even plough shares! Can't remember if I ever posted a thread about the Burke bar I made: this thing.

Half inch thick leaf spring at one end, devil of a job bending that. It's for moving mountains.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Burke bar eh?
There's an interesting bloke on that there Youtube who's a real fan of them.
Essential Craftsman.
Fair tool for stripping formwork/shutters and a beast of a tool.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yes I've been a long time subscriber of EC but that's not where I got the idea to make one. If I remember I'll update and maybe create a thread for my own effort. EC did actually make one for Andrew Camarata, another long term favourite youtuber of mine.

Camarata promptly broke it which really ought to be impossible but you know, Andrew Camarata...