New lid day

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Skub

New lid day

Post by Skub »

My Arai RX-7GP is many years old now,though still fits well and is very comfy.

Due in part to the cost of the equivalent Arai,I thought for the first time since the early 80s I'd try something different. (and cheaper!)

An HJC RPHA 11 duly arrived today. Sportsbikeshop are doing them for about a 100 quid off,bringing the cost down to £419. Half an Arai.

Fit is very snug,especially the cheek pads,but I'll live with it for a while to see if it beds in before I go a size lower on the cheek pads. I haven't ridden with it,so don't know about noise levels yet.

It feels lighter than my Arai and for those bothered by Arai's visor removal and installation,this one is a doddle. Pull a lever,it pops off,push it back in when refitting. It comes with a clear visor,smoked jobby and an antifog insert.

Plenty of vents and schitt,though over here they are seldom in the open position anyway. :lol:

Further updates after a few rides.

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
KungFooBob

Re: New lid day

Post by KungFooBob »

Looks a bit H.R. Gigery.
Skub

Post by Skub »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:06 pm Looks a bit H.R. Gigery.
Yeah,I'm a stoopid Xenomorph fan. :lol:

Mrs.Skub hates it,so that's a plus. :thumbup:
Walt Whitman
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

That's cool.

Given that both my lids are quite old (minimum of 7 years), although neither has exactly been used in the last 5 years, I really should be looking for a new one. But each time I've looked, I can't believe how much more expensive they are now! I know I paid about 400-500£ for the race helmet, but that was a bit scary even back then!

When I've look at equivalents here, they've been 600-900€ :o :o :o

I will have to stump up soon, well, in the spring/summer. But it's a bit scary!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Noggin wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:11 pm That's cool.

Given that both my lids are quite old (minimum of 7 years), although neither has exactly been used in the last 5 years, I really should be looking for a new one. But each time I've looked, I can't believe how much more expensive they are now! I know I paid about 400-500£ for the race helmet, but that was a bit scary even back then!

I will have to stump up soon, well, in the spring/summer. But it's a bit scary!!
If your lids haven't been used in the last 5 years,I can't see them needing replaced,unless they've been sitting in direct sunlight or some such.
Walt Whitman
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Skub wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:32 pm

If your lids haven't been used in the last 5 years,I can't see them needing replaced,unless they've been sitting in direct sunlight or some such.
They've been in a garage. TBF, one did take a small hit but it's the one with the black visor, so I'm using it anyway!! And just trying not to fall off!! It fits better than the shoei, so I prefer it :1 :1

I need to find somewhere that will scan it to make sure it's ok before I commit to getting a new one :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

900 € :eek:

Edit: Out of curiosity, I glanced at SportsBikeShop and saw several lids cost a thousand pounds :o And Arai’s carbon RX7V costs three grand! Who on earth buys these lids?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Hot_Air wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:48 pm 900 € :eek:

Edit: Out of curiosity, I glanced at SportsBikeShop and saw several lids cost a thousand pounds :o And Arai’s carbon RX7V costs three grand! Who on earth buys these lids?
Yup - scared the wotsits outta me when I idly started looking!! Gonna have to make the current Shoei (the undropped one!) last next year I think! Once I've invested in a black visor for it for the summer!!!

These three Shoei go down in price to 599€ - the Arais I looked at were more expensive and generally around 900-1000€ :o :o :o (I need boots too!! But I've stopped looking for now!!! LOL)

https://www.icasque.com/casque-integral ... u-tc5.html

https://www.icasque.com/casque-modulabl ... t-tc7.html

https://www.icasque.com/casque-integral ... e-tc7.html
Skub

Post by Skub »

I remember one of the lads I served my time with in the early 70s spending 20 quid on a new Bell helmet. He was the talk of the place. :lol:

Now a visor costs more than twice that.
Walt Whitman
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

@Noggin Out of the three Shoei lids, I think the cheapest is best. (Albeit, I’m not sure you can call any Shoei “cheap”.) It’s the NXR2, which is new. It meets the latest - and much improved - ECE safety standard. And it gets glowing reviews, e.g.: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... xr2-review
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Hot_Air wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:57 pm @Noggin Out of the three Shoei lids, I think the cheapest is best. (Albeit, I’m not sure you can call any Shoei “cheap”.) It’s the NXR2, which is new. It meets the latest - and much improved - ECE safety standard. And it gets glowing reviews, e.g.: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... xr2-review
Thank you

I'd probably go for that one (once I'd been to try them all on!).

The middle one isn't ideal as the front lifts up - I've never been too confident on those. I do prefer the graphics of the expensive one but can't afford to buy based on graphics!! LOL I think the one i have is an XR1000. Was an emergency purchase a few years ago, but it's pretty good - the Arai is just a bit 'tighter' and feels better for that.

So, need to spend some time trying them all on again!!!
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Noggin wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:09 pm the Arai is just a bit 'tighter' and feels better for that.
The Shoei is available with different-sized cheek pads to adjust the fit. The ‘head liner’ may also come in more than one size. However, not all retailers stock them and a very few offer non-stock pads free with the helmet purchase.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I started looking into this a few months ago - my FF MTB helmet is 12 years old and worn twice.
But carbon construction and the same stories of “needs replacing after 5 years because of UV degradation “
Some research brought up a study that had been done by someone not aligned to the helmet industry - and a 15 year old helmet was just as strong and protective as a new one.
Obviously if it has been dropped , used every day, sweated in day after day in the Sahara you may have issues.
The foam inside my Shoei xr1000 feel apart after 5 years making it unusable. And that was with it stored in a bag, in a cool dry place
Skub

Post by Skub »

I had a sail out for an hour and a half today,primarily to see how the new helmet felt,but it's a lovely day too.

I'm glad I held off before ordering smaller cheek pads,because on the road it was fine. Very snug yes,but helmets bed in and I think if I'd gone with the smaller pads it may have been too loose after a while. Nothing was hurting or annoying during the ride,so I'm happy enough for now. It felt nice and secure without feeling like my head was in a vice. It does trail the ears off me taking it off,maybe that'll ease over time.

Being a long term Arai wearer I've had to get used to things like the visor catch being in the centre rather than the side. My first few attempts to open it missed and opened the chin vents instead. By the end of the ride I'd got the hang of it!

The HJC is lighter than the RX-7 and I really noticed the difference. Another plus point was the increased side vision. Coming up to junctions the HJC allows me to see much more without having to dislocate my neck.

It came with a pinlock,but I wanted to try it first without. With the visor and vents closed on a warm day (17°) the visor only started to mist at a standstill.Opening the chin vent helped,but eventually the visor needed to be cracked open. On cold or wet days it will be a different story,but it's nice to have a new clear visor without any of the distortion a pinlock brings.

Noise wise,it's a helmet with vents,so I don't see much difference between the two,if anything the HJC is a little quieter due to the chin curtain at the front and a snug fit all around,but it wouldn't be a deal breaker with either lid. Earplugs are still required.

The Zed is a naked bike,so I'm out in the breeze anyway. On a private piece of land I dialled in three figures and no buffetting or whistling noises came to spoil the party.

I still feel like I've made a mistake by not buying another Arai,but in all honesty I can't blame HJC for that. Recommended.
Walt Whitman