Depression

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
MrLongbeard

Re: Depression

Post by MrLongbeard »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:10 am
MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:06 pm Noticed I've started to slip, so ordered myself a therapy light :wtf:
By buggery it's ruddy bright.
Comes with 3 modes, 'relax' (very warm yellow light) for first and last thing, 'active' (cold white light) for morning working and 'therapy' (white blue light that rivals the output of 1000 suns) to imitate normal daylight.

Been using it a week, and yeah, but nah, but maybe it's doing something, oh sure it may be no more than the placebo effect, but if a placebo fools the body into working is it really a placebo.....

The effect it's having on me is interesting, to me at least, physically I can feel the side of my face getting warm as if I'm outside on a summer day, which is an odd sensation when sat next to an open window in winter, will keep using it and see what happens, if owt, long term.
@Potter was wondering if this worked in another thread, so as it's about time to put it away and after 4 months what are my thoughts, have I wasted 60 quid, am I more stable, happy, sad or whatever?

First the money, the least important part in my opinion, but it does cost, is it wasted? not in my mind, it was suggested I try this by my GP and a telephone / online mental health therapist, so why not, the cost is around 6 - 7 months worth of SSRI or other happy pills on prescription (if you don't prepay, which I do).

Did it work? For me, yes I think it did, especially as I didn't get it until my mood was starting to slip so it had an uphill battle to start with, rather than being used before I was in a low mood.

Don't get me wrong, it's no magic bullet, I haven't been farting rainbows and seeing unicorns, I still have bouts / periods where I need to take myself off alone for fear of what I might to to others or property, but they were very few and that alone is an improvement where the year before I'd be afraid to be on my own for fear of what I'd do to myself.

Long story short, mostly because I have no idea how to express my results / feelings, I think it has improved my mood and will pull it back out of the drawer next autumn and continue using it.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:37 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:10 am
MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:06 pm Noticed I've started to slip, so ordered myself a therapy light :wtf:
By buggery it's ruddy bright.
Comes with 3 modes, 'relax' (very warm yellow light) for first and last thing, 'active' (cold white light) for morning working and 'therapy' (white blue light that rivals the output of 1000 suns) to imitate normal daylight.

Been using it a week, and yeah, but nah, but maybe it's doing something, oh sure it may be no more than the placebo effect, but if a placebo fools the body into working is it really a placebo.....

The effect it's having on me is interesting, to me at least, physically I can feel the side of my face getting warm as if I'm outside on a summer day, which is an odd sensation when sat next to an open window in winter, will keep using it and see what happens, if owt, long term.
@Potter was wondering if this worked in another thread, so as it's about time to put it away and after 4 months what are my thoughts, have I wasted 60 quid, am I more stable, happy, sad or whatever?

First the money, the least important part in my opinion, but it does cost, is it wasted? not in my mind, it was suggested I try this by my GP and a telephone / online mental health therapist, so why not, the cost is around 6 - 7 months worth of SSRI or other happy pills on prescription (if you don't prepay, which I do).

Did it work? For me, yes I think it did, especially as I didn't get it until my mood was starting to slip so it had an uphill battle to start with, rather than being used before I was in a low mood.

Don't get me wrong, it's no magic bullet, I haven't been farting rainbows and seeing unicorns, I still have bouts / periods where I need to take myself off alone for fear of what I might to to others or property, but they were very few and that alone is an improvement where the year before I'd be afraid to be on my own for fear of what I'd do to myself.

Long story short, mostly because I have no idea how to express my results / feelings, I think it has improved my mood and will pull it back out of the drawer next autumn and continue using it.
I'm no expert but maybe some remedies are like a placebo? You want it to work, so it does.

Is that a goer?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Yorick wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:39 pm I'm no expert but maybe some remedies are like a placebo? You want it to work, so it does.

Is that a goer?
It's a perfectly good alternative explanation, it may well be the placebo effect.
When it comes to actual physical medications then it's a different story, but for this, shining bright lights in your eye to regulate brain chemistry, as I said in my other post 'if it's working then does it matter if it's placebo or not'
Potter

Post by Potter »

Thanks for the update :thumbup:

If I go for a strenuous walk in the sun, with shorts/vest on, then it usually puts me in a better mood for the rest of the day.

Years ago I used to go on sunbeds, I'd do ten minute sessions and close my eyes and imagine I'm on a beach somewhere, that used to help as well.
I could smell the sun on my skin and I'd get that 'first night on holiday' feeling.

I take Vit D now, both me and my wife, every evening we take a bunch of stuff but the ones we never miss is two or three 1000iu Vit D's and 400mg Magnesium Glycinate, both from Pure Encapsulations and it's expensive but I can definitely tell, it's had a big effect on my mood and anxiety. I've tried other makes but only Pure Encapsulations or Thorne seem to do the trick.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Every morning I do 3.5 mile dog walk. Including a mile on beach front.
Lovely scenery and sunny.

About half hour after I get home is when I drop. If I've summat important to do, then I'll do it.
Otherwise I'll wait till the cloud lifts mid afternoon then get on with things.

Seems the sun doesn't do me much good.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Vitamin D makes a massive difference. If the light is one that helps create VitD (create might be the wrong word) then that will be part of the improvement for sure x
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

If I feel down I listen to some speed garage in front of a mirror with my shirt off.

If that doesn't work I try some gabba techno
Potter

Post by Potter »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:50 pm If I feel down I listen to some speed garage in front of a mirror with my shirt off.

If that doesn't work I try some gabba techno
I know you’re being a wag but whatever gets people feeling better has to be a good thing, we’re all different and sometimes it can be good just to do something simple like sorting my tool chest out in the garage to take my mind off things and wind down.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I came up with a new (to me) phrase last night whilst talking to a mate about some life issues -
I'm a functioning depressive

Kinda like a functioning alcoholic - most people have no idea I suffer with depression and if I say it they are shocked. I've spent all my life pretending to be ok, and it seems I do a damned fine job of it!! :lol:

Another mate this morning said that he needs to learn to be more functioning! But at least I've got him talking to me about it, little steps make it easier to deal with. Never easy for some but easier sometimes
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MyLittleStudPony

I remember when I was at my worst, rapid cycling between depressed, anxious and manic states, fighting repeated urges to kill myself and others. It felt like I would never be ok again. At that time I promised the stars and any heavenly beings and deities if they could get me out of this I would clean up my act and dedicate the rest of my life to god and helping others.

I'm a long time me better now and fuck that promise, helping others and god. And if I could get some drugs I'd happily take them. Lovely, lovely drugs. 👍
Potter

Post by Potter »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:47 pm I remember when I was at my worst, rapid cycling between depressed, anxious and manic states, fighting repeated urges to kill myself and others. It felt like I would never be ok again. At that time I promised the stars and any heavenly beings and deities if they could get me out of this I would clean up my act and dedicate the rest of my life to god and helping others.

I'm a long time me better now and fuck that promise, helping others and god. And if I could get some drugs I'd happily take them. Lovely, lovely drugs. 👍
I did find that going through my own experiences (and still going through them) I do have a lot more sympathy/empathy with other people, and now I have a bit more insight into what other people might be going through, so I've tried to put more effort in where I could to try and help.

It could be anything from a few quid, to a bit of advice or a shoulder to cry on or an ear to listen.
MyLittleStudPony

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:47 pm I remember when I was at my worst, rapid cycling between depressed, anxious and manic states, fighting repeated urges to kill myself and others. It felt like I would never be ok again. At that time I promised the stars and any heavenly beings and deities if they could get me out of this I would clean up my act and dedicate the rest of my life to god and helping others.

That said, it looks like I've got gallstones or kidney stones now. I don't think they'll kill me but there's probably a lot of pain ahead. I know what I said before but if the stars and any heavenly beings and deities out there are listening and get me out of this, I will clean up my act and dedicate the rest of my life to god and helping others. Helping the poor if necessary. The northern poor even! Just get me out of this stones business!
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Kidney stones: I do hope that you don't.

Had them for forty years, often twice per year. Agony ensues.....bastard things.

Get yourself checked out pronto.
MyLittleStudPony

Buckaroo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:55 pm Kidney stones: I do hope that you don't.

Had them for forty years, often twice per year. Agony ensues.....bastard things.

Get yourself checked out pronto.
Thank you. I did have one many years ago.

Whatever it is now, it hurts when it happens. I've been to A&E twice, had blood tests twice, GP once and have a scan booked.
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Good luck with the outcome. Either are unpleasant, so I hope you have neither :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Gallstones can be easily fixed with a keyhole op. Mrs had it done a couple of years ago. Not sure about kidney stones.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:14 pm Gallstones can be easily fixed with a keyhole op. Mrs had it done a couple of years ago. Not sure about kidney stones.
Lithotripter, laser, physical extraction via the urethra or percutaneous extraction.....or pass them. I've been through all bar percutaneous.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Buckaroo wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:53 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:14 pm Gallstones can be easily fixed with a keyhole op. Mrs had it done a couple of years ago. Not sure about kidney stones.
Lithotripter, laser, physical extraction via the urethra or percutaneous extraction.....or pass them. I've been through all bar percutaneous.
After a few cheeky Spanish beers, that came out as gibberish.
No offence meant
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Yorick wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:57 pm
Buckaroo wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:53 pm
After a few cheeky Spanish beers, that came out as gibberish.
No offence meant
To think I wrote this after a couple of beers and a glass or two of wine. Surprised I managed to get some of it right :obscene-birdiedoublered: