Depression

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
mboy

Re: Depression

Post by mboy »

Couchy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:44 am The last bit, self obsessed and entitled. Not sure many do it deliberately but a huge amount of people live life without a thought how their actions affect others. Driving is a perfect example of this human behaviour. Even simple things like parking with a thought to how someone may get by your car, but nope they only care about themselves. I’ve found not giving a fuck and using some of their attitude helps with your own mental health. Problem is if you’ve been bought up to think about and respect others it’s difficult, however it is possible to do what’s right for yourself and still be a decent person. I have found telling people they’re being a cunt helps massively too, obviously in a non angry or threatening way, tbh it is funny when they get angry though cos then you can provoke them a little 👍
100% agreed

I have always approached life with a respect for others. Sadly, as I have got older, the more that respect isn't requited, the more it affects my mental health. And with the current state of the government, economy and the endless promotion of self serving being the way to get ahead in the world, it has really affected my mental health over the years.

Then roll forward to September this year, when I fell out with my best mate because he has become the epitome of a self serving arsehole, 30yrs of friendship thrown down the toilet because he no longer cares about anything except himself and his kids. Not only did he tell me in no uncertain terms that 30yrs of friendship meant nothing to him, but he also gave me shit for not being greedy/ambitious enough myself and that I should already be in the bigger house that me and my GF are aspiring to purchase at some point in the future if I hadn't been wasting my time...

I have spent 6 months off work in the last 15 due to complications with various cancer surgeries and recovery.

He can't even process that Cancer might possibly have affected me at all mentally, not just physically.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Daughter came off her meds two/three weeks ago. She is slowly surfacing and showing some glimpses of her true self, but sadly her darkness is also descending again. She has brilliant days of bright gaiety and is truly herself, and then it all comes crashing down as her anxiety kicks in and she loses all sense of self worth and interest in life again. Exhausting for my wife and I. My wife gets the worst of it, and it affects our relationship as well as she cannot cope with everything happening in work and life herself.

We are getting by, but it can be utterly exhausting. Walking the dog helps, but that does not happen as often as I would like as I'm busy with two parishes and all that that life entails. It is not about me, but my beautiful darling daughter who is not able to enjoy life to the full because her anxiety and autistic exhaustion leave her gutted and with no energy to face what comes next.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Mental health problems like that must be so worrying and draining for all concerned - you and your wife, but also for your daughter herself. I haven’t anything to offer except my concern and good wishes, if they help at all.

On a tangent, I’ve always wondered what influence someone’s faith would have in this situation. It must either help and support you, or leave you wondering about the “justice” of what your daughter is having to go through. Difficult…understatement.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I've been on Esidrex 25 Mg for a couple of years for high blood pressure.
Just been Googling the side effects..
Anxiety and tiredness. Fark.
Some mornings I can't get off the sofa.
Anxiety or insane tiredness. Sometimes both.
Not had one yet and feel better than normal.

I'll be down the doctors soonish to have words.
Hope something good comes of this :)
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:57 pm I've been on Esidrex 25 Mg for a couple of years for high blood pressure.

I've been on meds for high blood pressure since 2006, a few different ones. Not one of them has had those side effects.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yambo wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:35 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:57 pm I've been on Esidrex 25 Mg for a couple of years for high blood pressure.

I've been on meds for high blood pressure since 2006, a few different ones. Not one of them has had those side effects.
I also have the horror dreams and poor early morning sleep.
Screenshot_20240101_124842_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240101_124842_Samsung Internet.jpg (561.88 KiB) Viewed 480 times
Screenshot_20240101_124903_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240101_124903_Samsung Internet.jpg (478.81 KiB) Viewed 480 times
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Reserpine is only one of several meds used for high BP, but it seems to have a fairly wide range of quite nasty side effects. I’d have a chat with your dr about alternatives if some of them are troubling you. FWIW, I’m on Bisoprolol and Lisinopril with no problems (tw).
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

I had some issues with Lisinopril (apologies if spelling is incorrect) so changed to Losartan potassium, which strangely I worked on years ago, and I have had no problems at all.

You might have built up an intolerance to either the active or the incipients.
BartonBKing

Post by BartonBKing »

Is depression becoming more easily talked about? I’ve tried to type this three times now. I think the OP has some big balls and I respect and admire that. I think I’ve suffered since a teenager. I go to somewhere dark and it can take a few days to come out but it’s always lurking. Suicide has often crossed my mind, as if this all there is, what’s the point? Misery after misery. Why not be free from it all? I was made redundant before Christmas and I’m terrified of not finding another job. I feel useless enough as it is. The missus has too much stress with her work that she’s so tired that I can’t tell her any of this. I try to keep busy but there’s only so much to do and motivation and energy goes out the window. Took me all my effort to walk out of my house and get a fucking haircut today. How sad. Just how do you tell your doctor? Does anybody really care or are we just another burden/statistic?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Letting it out is the first step.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

BartonBKing wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:17 pm Is depression becoming more easily talked about? I’ve tried to type this three times now. I think the OP has some big balls and I respect and admire that. I think I’ve suffered since a teenager. I go to somewhere dark and it can take a few days to come out but it’s always lurking. Suicide has often crossed my mind, as if this all there is, what’s the point? Misery after misery. Why not be free from it all? I was made redundant before Christmas and I’m terrified of not finding another job. I feel useless enough as it is. The missus has too much stress with her work that she’s so tired that I can’t tell her any of this. I try to keep busy but there’s only so much to do and motivation and energy goes out the window. Took me all my effort to walk out of my house and get a fucking haircut today. How sad. Just how do you tell your doctor? Does anybody really care or are we just another burden/statistic?
Actually going out every day is a massive thing sometimes. So kudos for doing that whilst feeling as you do. It's hard.

It is much easier to talk to doctors about this nowadays, and if you aren't sure you can, print out what you wrote and if you dry up when face to face, show it to him?

I think younger people talk about it a lot more than my age group, I get funny looks sometimes from people my age (50's) if I mention it, but younger people seem more open to talking about it and sharing thoughts/experiences.

Talking about it here is a big first step and people are pretty bloody awesome on here, so keep talking at us :D

Hugs to you - it sucks, but the fact that you've written this is huge and you also have a load of people here that understand xx
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The OP hasn't logged in since April. :(

Anyone in contact with @Scud ?
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

BartonBKing wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:17 pm How sad. Just how do you tell your doctor? Does anybody really care or are we just another burden/statistic?

I'd never talked to my wife about how I was but she knew I wasn't right. She booked a double appointment with my GP and simply told me to get dressed, we're going out.

It was an uncomfortable time for her, that doctor's appointment and she was in tears when we left but it was a wonderful thing she did. It was a huge first step on my road to recovery. You don't necessarily ever get rid of depression and it can drag you in at any time but being aware of that can help you keep it at bay.

My doctor reckoned I'd had depression since my mum died when I was 16 and he may be right but I'd always been active, maybe not a workaholic but I didn't sit around much. Being active was key to not suffering too much when my wife and saviour died in 2011. I know it'll help me now and I'm becoming more active, more positive but the last year (after my son died), was awful, no motivation, no desire to do anything. Was I in depression? I'm the only person I know that thinks I wasn't, just grieving.

There are no new year resolutions here but I'm fuckin' sure I'm not spending another year like that. I have great support from friends and whilst I'm not raring to go I'm certainly on the mend.

Talk to your wife BK, she'll probably know you're nor right then book a doctor's appointment (if you can!). Talking about it is good, the first and most important step.
BartonBKing

Post by BartonBKing »

Yambo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:50 pm
BartonBKing wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:17 pm How sad. Just how do you tell your doctor? Does anybody really care or are we just another burden/statistic?

I'd never talked to my wife about how I was but she knew I wasn't right. She booked a double appointment with my GP and simply told me to get dressed, we're going out.

It was an uncomfortable time for her, that doctor's appointment and she was in tears when we left but it was a wonderful thing she did. It was a huge first step on my road to recovery. You don't necessarily ever get rid of depression and it can drag you in at any time but being aware of that can help you keep it at bay.

My doctor reckoned I'd had depression since my mum died when I was 16 and he may be right but I'd always been active, maybe not a workaholic but I didn't sit around much. Being active was key to not suffering too much when my wife and saviour died in 2011. I know it'll help me now and I'm becoming more active, more positive but the last year (after my son died), was awful, no motivation, no desire to do anything. Was I in depression? I'm the only person I know that thinks I wasn't, just grieving.

There are no new year resolutions here but I'm fuckin' sure I'm not spending another year like that. I have great support from friends and whilst I'm not raring to go I'm certainly on the mend.

Talk to your wife BK, she'll probably know you're nor right then book a doctor's appointment (if you can!). Talking about it is good, the first and most important step.
Damn. Life can be so shitty at times. Puts things into perspective. Thanks for the kind words from everybody. I have plucked up the courage and I managed to get a doctors appointment for today at 4pm. Shitting myself already….
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

BartonBKing wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:15 am
Damn. Life can be so shitty at times. Puts things into perspective. Thanks for the kind words from everybody. I have plucked up the courage and I managed to get a doctors appointment for today at 4pm. Shitting myself already….
Good man. If possible, take the wife then you can show her that you're aware of her issues and help her to realise what's happening to you hasn't overshadowed her issues.

Just tell the truth to the doc, you don't need to embellish anyhing, but try to leave nothing out. Depression can manifest itself in different ways and medication for one may not be suitable for another. If you are given meds, be aware they ain't gonna cure you but should help you get on with life until you can find something not drug related that'll help.

For me that's keeping busy and physical exercise. For you it could be the opposite.

Good luck.
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Well it’s been 12 months since my op for bowel cancer . Had a ct scan last week....... 2 days later I have a phone call saying I need another one. A set scan . Something we need to have a good look at.

Sometimes a dark cloud comes down and I’m done for the rest of the day.

Anyway... the days are getting longer. One foot in front of the other each day😎
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Wscad wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:24 pm Well it’s been 12 months since my op for bowel cancer . Had a ct scan last week....... 2 days later I have a phone call saying I need another one. A set scan . Something we need to have a good look at.

Good hunting mate, either way, kick it's arse!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Wscad wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:24 pm Well it’s been 12 months since my op for bowel cancer . Had a ct scan last week....... 2 days later I have a phone call saying I need another one. A set scan . Something we need to have a good look at.

Good luck. I have my first op soon.
katana

Post by katana »

That is posh, just go for the camera and ask for lots of sedation.

What bit did you have removed?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:12 pm The OP hasn't logged in since April. :(

Anyone in contact with @Scud ?
Just got a reply :) he's all good, just avoiding the internet.. so yeah, he's cool. He may check in soon.