Broken Tooth

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
the_priest

Broken Tooth

Post by the_priest »

Broke my tooth. Front half of the molar behind canine sheered off. Filling then dropped out, so left with gaping hole in my erstwhile beaming smile.

Phoned the local dentist to be told they are not open and need to go to pharmacy and get a self repair home kit. Popped to pharmacy, no such thing on their shelves. Went to Amazon and £7.99 later I have a kit to plug the hole until they can repair or stick a crown there. No real pain, just annoying gap and now a gleaming white patch where the tooth used to live.

What other dental adventures have you had recently.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Noggin

Re: Broken Tooth

Post by Noggin »

Eek! Hope it stays painless. My SiL is a dental hygenist and has been getting fitted for some serious sounding PPE in the two practices she works in!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Druid

Post by Druid »

I had a root canal done about 12 years ago, first lower left molar. A few months ago the inside back corner of the tooth broke off, leaving a sharp edge. There's no root, so no pain and I never quite got round to booking a dentist's appointment. It's been that long that I mostly don't even notice it but I still catch myself poking my tongue into the gap occasionally
Skub

Post by Skub »

I lost a filling/broken tooth just after lockdown began. I have an appointment for 22nd July,but who knows whether dentists will be working by then or not.

For months the advice has been,if you are in pain go to A&E,or munch a few painkillers.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

I had a rotten tooth pulled out last September, bottom row right in the middle, it looked effing awful.

In February I finally managed to get it replaced €700 is a lot of cash but it's totally worth it !
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Jody wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:07 am In February I finally managed to get it replaced €700 is a lot of cash but it's totally worth it !
Where was that ? The Brit dentist wanted £2000 so I have a gap and a single useless tooth in the back of a drawer somewhere.
Brian
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

hilldweller wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:01 am
Jody wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:07 am In February I finally managed to get it replaced €700 is a lot of cash but it's totally worth it !
Where was that ? The Brit dentist wanted £2000 so I have a gap and a single useless tooth in the back of a drawer somewhere.
Courchevel, you know that cheap little ski town in France (sic)

It would have been more like €2k if I'd had the implant in my jaw bone with the tooth screwed in the top. But that wasn't possible as there isn't enough bone to screw into !

I don't know the technical term for what I had but essentially they put a line of 'cement' across the back of the tooth and it's neighbours.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

My dentist is a small diminutive lady who's enthusiasm for her craft is evident in everything she does, I had a back tooth out a couple of years ago and it was hard to remove, She virtually straddled me with her knee on my chest to get enough leverage to pull out the offending root I like her a lot! despite the constant drain on my pocket there's a game she plays around delivering treatment which goes something like "Well you need a filling here, do you want to make another appointment" "I'm here aren't I" "so you are" Pass me the needle please"
Horse

Post by Horse »

the_priest wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:43 am What other dental adventures have you had recently.
Neither recent, but both relate to removal of wisdom teeth.

They wanted to do them under local, I wasn't too impressed with the idea, so they compromised on a dose of valium - I would know what was going on, but wouldn't care. Exactly the case: wow - look at that needle (length of thread out of my mouth and huge (so it seemed) curved needle, or: "We're going to have to break this one up to get it out" OK!

The frightening thing is that people drive while taking that stuff . . .

Next was a couple of days later. I had the week booked off work. Teeth out Monday afternoon. By Tuesday it was all fine and I was thing 'great!'. Then the clot came out of one socket. A tad painful. Off to dentist, the void was cleaned out then packed with some sort of wadding, which gradually fell out as the space healed up.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I reckon I'll be loosing another tooth. My dentist loves pulling out teeth, she enjoys the challenge and absolutely delights in doing it. Shows on her face as well. I just like the injection that numbs the experience.... Crowns in this country are so expensive!!
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

I went for a check-up two weeks ago. Nothing needs doing.

I suppose that isn't really a dental adventure but I was feeling left out.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I was quoted over £400 for a crown about 10 years ago so decided on a DIY job.

I got the imprint and gave it to Pen's brother, who made it as a freebie.

Took it back to the dentist and they fitted it
Skub

Post by Skub »

A crown costs around 100 quid here,I'm amazed other parts of the UK are so expensive.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

the_priest wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:43 am Broke my tooth. Front half of the molar behind canine sheered off. Filling then dropped out, so left with gaping hole in my erstwhile beaming smile.

Phoned the local dentist to be told they are not open and need to go to pharmacy and get a self repair home kit. Popped to pharmacy, no such thing on their shelves. Went to Amazon and £7.99 later I have a kit to plug the hole until they can repair or stick a crown there. No real pain, just annoying gap and now a gleaming white patch where the tooth used to live.

What other dental adventures have you had recently.
Oh my! You're lucky it's not painful. Mr WD had an issue late last year. 4 dental appointments and many hundreds of pounds later it was solved but was he in pain. I hope you stay pain free.
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Cheers. I've done the dental paint thing earlier this year, solved by having the offending molar extracted (in seconds by the enthusiastic dental practioner who practically paraded the tooth around the room).
Greenzeph

Post by Greenzeph »

3 weeks ago the side of a molar snapped off.. Im not in pain,,, yet.. Dentist said if it hurts he will yank it out... or wait till they are up and running to see if it can be crowned...
I hate going to dentist but it looks awful with half a filling exposed and a rotten tooth.. where have my lovely milky white pearly teeth all gone.
:-( :D