Spa 24 Hours

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Spa 24 Hours

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Noggin wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:58 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:09 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:11 pm

Blimey, that's some challenge :o
That's the point of it, you have to make a race engine capable of lasting 24 hours of race use, at Le Mans lap times were similar to MotoGP (according to the Eurosport conpetitors).

Le Mans 24 Hour car race next weekend.
I understand. Only asked cos the endurances I did, we had our own bikes and swapped transponders (and it was only 3 hours!). I went to the Le Mans 24hr in 2003, but TBF, didn't know much about it then and haven't kept up with it since.

Pretty awesome that they do have race bikes that can do 24 hours, especially with different riding styles - although maybe the differences in styles helps? (Or makes no difference!)

cheb wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:31 am
Noggin wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:11 pm

Blimey, that's some challenge :o
And it used to be, possibly still is, no assistance to the rider when they are on the track, if they fall off or the bike breaks they have to push it back to the pits themselves.

Bike magazine ran a team at Le Mans back in the late 70's or early 80's. Howard Lees wrote some excellent pieces for the mag on creating the bike etc.
Even more blimey! I couldn't pick up any of my bikes before or after the 390! I could push some but not part way around a circuit!! LOL

Much easier to run back with the transponder! LOL But damn, even more awesome a race!! :D :D :D
Greg Black binned the Suzuki at high speed in the wet, picked it up using one handle bar because the other one was broke, dropped it, picked it up again, then rode it back to the pits with no brakes, the bike was rebuilt, he went straight back out on it and was lapping quicker than everyone apart from Gino Rea on the Honda.

And this was nothing unusual over the weekend, plenty of other riders with similar tales to tell, one poor sod pushed the bike all the way from the lowest point of the circuit up to the pits.
Honda Owner
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:26 pm

Greg Black binned the Suzuki at high speed in the wet, picked it up using one handle bar because the other one was broke, dropped it, picked it up again, then rode it back to the pits with no brakes, the bike was rebuilt, he went straight back out on it and was lapping quicker than everyone apart from Gino Rea on the Honda.

And this was nothing unusual over the weekend, plenty of other riders with similar tales to tell, one poor sod pushed the bike all the way from the lowest point of the circuit up to the pits.
I honestly didn't realise it was 'that' much of a challenge. Will be much more likely to watch it next year now!! :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:23 pm
lostboy wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:52 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:09 pm

That's the point of it, you have to make a race engine capable of lasting 24 hours of race use, at Le Mans lap times were similar to MotoGP (according to the Eurosport conpetitors).

Le Mans 24 Hour car race next weekend.
Both you and the Eurosport commentators need to take a moment - the MotoGP boys are an average of 5 seconds a lap quicker around Le Mans.

The ability to produce an engine that can go that quickly and reliably for 24 hours is brilliant. But let's not get bogged down in the usual nonsense about how fast Superbikes are. It was also great to see Sylvain Guintoli on the winning bike.
Feck me, wind yer neck in, I did say that I was repeating what the commentators said, I wasn't interested enough to check.
Yeah but you ride bikes, you should know better ;)
Le_Fromage_Grande

I don't take much notice of lap times so I didn't really think about it, most of the commentary was bollocks, nearly as bad as Neil Hodgson.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

I've got the Le Mans 24 Hour car race on the telly, it's dull compared with last week's Spa bike race.
Honda Owner