Riding in France: Hi Viz and reflective stickers

Anything you like about motorbikes
Mr Moofo

Riding in France: Hi Viz and reflective stickers

Post by Mr Moofo »

Is it still the case for travelling through France ? What about any thing else ??
DefTrap

Re: Riding in France: Hi Viz and reflective stickers

Post by DefTrap »

I live there and have never bothered.
12 years lucky?
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Ridden through France a few times recently. Did not see any riders on French registered bikes with reflective helmet stickers.

I carry a hi-viz on all my bikes as it is a legal requirement in Spain, but makes sense if you breakdown on an unlit road at night.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

This was one of a bunch of measures that were mooted by the French govt a few years back, but faced such opposition that they were quietly dropped. Being forced to carry personal alcohol testing kits was another idea that got shelved. In our area of France the smoking ban isn't really enforced either, despite being on the statute book.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

I never bothered with the stickers, although I've not ridden over there in the last couple of years, but I do have a hi-vis under the seat - it's a requirement if you break down. It's a XXS mesh one so it takes up zero space - doesn't fit of course, but that's not the point :)
Advanced trainer since 1997
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskills.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I've been stopped half a dozen times (car and bike) over the years, not for any wrongdoing just spot checks and breath testing and such. Le Plod are very keen on paperwork and tyres by default, not so much anything else, they've never bothered checking me for any of the long list of hi Viz, spare bulbs, warning triangles etc.

That said, if you're stopped for being naughty it wouldn't surprise me if they went through the lot.

You're better off worrying about speeding. Poorly marked fixed cameras are common and they love early evening speed traps on the exits of villages and similarly from dual carriageway flyovers for commuters.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Helmet stickers are only for helmets SOLD in France.
Hi Viz is for breakdowns on the autoroutes.
As for bulbs/first aid kit, never been asked but I have a band aid in the tool wrap, just in case!
The Spin Doctor

Demannu wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:55 am Helmet stickers are only for helmets SOLD in France.
There was some debate about that when the rule - which dates back to the 80s at least - was resurrected, and there were stories of riders from the UK landing at Caen IIRC and also German riders getting pulled up for not displaying the stickers. Although I never bothered, it was being said that the rule applied to anyone RIDING in France, not just on French plates.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskills.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I bought a Shoei helmet in Andorra in the early 2000s and that had a reflective oval on the chinguard and back of the helmet. I've never been stopped for not having a reflective sticker on the helmet though. There were rumblings about making hi-viz armbands or clothing mandatory a few years back but the FFMC (fédération française des motards en colère) soon put a stop to that. If you're driving you do need to have two hi-viz jackets/waistcoats on board, but I'm not sure if that applies to bikers. Same applies to warning triuangles, I believe.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

In Spain you MUST have a HiViz for every occupant in your car. Also you had to have two warning triangles too. You still can do, but the authorities have approved a magnetic light for cars that emit a light that can been seen from a kilometre away.

The police here will not fine a motorbike rider who breaks down and not have two warning triangles, but they will if you don't have a hiviz for youself (and passenger). As Spin says, it doesn't have to fit, but as long as you can get it on......

Glove wearing for all motorcyclists was going to be introduced as law but that seems to have fallen by the wayside.
The Spin Doctor

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:01 pm I bought a Shoei helmet in Andorra in the early 2000s and that had a reflective oval on the chinguard and back of the helmet. I've never been stopped for not having a reflective sticker on the helmet though. There were rumblings about making hi-viz armbands or clothing mandatory a few years back but the FFMC (fédération française des motards en colère) soon put a stop to that. If you're driving you do need to have two hi-viz jackets/waistcoats on board, but I'm not sure if that applies to bikers. Same applies to warning triuangles, I believe.
That was a hi-vis patch that had to have a certain surface area. And yes, you do need one hi-vis for each person on the bike, but you don't need a warning triangle.

I wrote an article a few years back for a magazine on all this... can't remember who it was for, now.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Just a quick update.
Since 2016.it has been law for bikes to carry a hi Viz per person, with an €11 fine for non compliance or €135 if you have broken down and not using it according to CdlR.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

If you were riding this would you still need to wear a hi-viz?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334343243394

(yes I'm joking)
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

What colour is daytime hi - viz. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Before my last trip to Europe, I tried looking for my hi-viz vest but couldn’t see it :mrgreen: