Rack
76%
Scoot
24%

Total votes: 17

Taipan

Which one should I choose?

Post by Taipan »

I often have to carry equipment on my bike, but I really hate luggage on a bike like my MT-07. Okay, I could remove the top box when I'm not using it, but I'm still stuck with the rack ruining the looks. But is buying a scoot with its luggage carrying ability going too far as an alternative? :think:

Rockburner

Re: Which one should I choose?

Post by Rockburner »

Interesting that the rack is 'all-one-piece'. If it's only 4 bolts doesn't that make it easy to remove if you want to ponce about the Brighton shorelines?

On the Rockster the TopBox is mounted onto the OE rack, so it's only 4 bolts to remove - takes 5 minutes. :D
non quod, sed quomodo
G.P

Post by G.P »

Depending on how much you want to carry how about a tank bag? I used one for years for carryinh laptop and shoes when commuting, only using top box when needing to carry other stuff, Main reason fro not using topbox is the aerodynamics, following vans on the motorway would make the bike get a wobble on.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

G.P wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:04 am Depending on how much you want to carry how about a tank bag? I used one for years for carryinh laptop and shoes when commuting, only using top box when needing to carry other stuff, Main reason fro not using topbox is the aerodynamics, following vans on the motorway would make the bike get a wobble on.
Depends on the bike - some are actually more stable with a topbox! My Rocksters have all been a little weavy at speed with just the panniers on, but stable as a rock with the topbox on.
non quod, sed quomodo
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Choose life.
Choose a job.
Choose a career.
Choose a family,
Choose a fucking big television.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Get some panniers.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Probably not the best person to ask seeing as I'm about to ruin the Gixxus with a top box. But IMO yeah whilst they spoil the looks they are so bloody useful I'll put up with that. Going out for the day? I can take a spare pair of gloves, waterproofs, lock, choccy bar and drink, wallet and phone so no bulk in my jacket etc. Or even just visiting somewhere I can leave my lid and gloves in the top box and not have to cart them about town. Going to work, laptop and sarnies in the top box.

And whilst they don't look cool, neither do we to 99.9% of people :lol: And you can't see them when your riding and ridings more important than looks to me.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Depends how much your lugging about. I bought a small tail bag the other week, up to 10 L i think for day riding and have a rack and top box to fit when more stuff required. Tank ring bags are good aswel.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-M ... 635-2958-0
Yamaha rocket 3
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

If it doesn't need to be a top-box necessarily, have you seen the SW Motech Blaze panniers?
Skub

Post by Skub »

MT + rucksack,or SH300. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Because I want to use my bike for useful journeys, I bought one which would look ok with a top box.

If it'll piss you of on the Yamaha, get a scooter. Or a bike which will look ok with a top box. The X-Adv looks good with the genuine Honda one IMO. ;)
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Anyone know about topboxes and fittings tell me if that rack only takes a Yamaha topbox? It looks like it clips in and locks to the rack itself rather than fit plate onto it? :?:

Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Taipan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:16 am Anyone know about topboxes and fittings tell me if that rack only takes a Yamaha topbox? It looks like it clips in and locks to the rack itself rather than fit plate onto it? :?:

Yes - it looks like it's been designed to fit a topbox directly onto it - but you'd need to find the correct topbox to try it first.
non quod, sed quomodo
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:43 am Probably not the best person to ask seeing as I'm about to ruin the Gixxus with a top box. But IMO yeah whilst they spoil the looks they are so bloody useful I'll put up with that. Going out for the day? I can take a spare pair of gloves, waterproofs, lock, choccy bar and drink, wallet and phone so no bulk in my jacket etc. Or even just visiting somewhere I can leave my lid and gloves in the top box and not have to cart them about town. Going to work, laptop and sarnies in the top box.

And whilst they don't look cool, neither do we to 99.9% of people :lol: And you can't see them when your riding and ridings more important than looks to me.
^^^ It's his fault Guv. Nothing to do with me! Mofo is right, I don't see it when riding and I only look at it when I approach it to ride it, so a top box and rack makeI've smuch more sense than the expense of a 2nd bike.

Scored a 2nd hand rack off of eBay and have my eye on a 2mnd hand top box, but I'll buy new if it doesn't pan out. :thumbup:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

What have I created!!! :lol:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:43 am Probably not the best person to ask seeing as I'm about to ruin the Gixxus with a top box.
*plonk
Taipan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:59 pm Scored a 2nd hand rack off of eBay and have my eye on a 2mnd hand top box, but I'll buy new if it doesn't pan out. :thumbup:
*plonk
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Another advantage of the rack is, it gives you good strapping points for roll bags etc if/when required.
Yamaha rocket 3
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

So you've got a perfectly good 'man logic' excuse to buy another bike/ped and you don't use it!

N+1 man, N+1!!!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:07 am
G.P wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:04 am Main reason fro not using topbox is the aerodynamics, following vans on the motorway would make the bike get a wobble on.
Depends on the bike - some are actually more stable with a topbox! My Rocksters have all been a little weavy at speed with just the panniers on, but stable as a rock with the topbox on.
My T100 used to feel less than happy at around 90 mph, especially on a windy day. A big topbox cured that.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:59 pm
Supermofo wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:43 am Probably not the best person to ask seeing as I'm about to ruin the Gixxus with a top box. But IMO yeah whilst they spoil the looks they are so bloody useful I'll put up with that. Going out for the day? I can take a spare pair of gloves, waterproofs, lock, choccy bar and drink, wallet and phone so no bulk in my jacket etc. Or even just visiting somewhere I can leave my lid and gloves in the top box and not have to cart them about town. Going to work, laptop and sarnies in the top box.

^^^ It's his fault Guv. Nothing to do with me! Mofo is right, I don't see it when riding and I only look at it when I approach it to ride it, so a top box and rack makeI've smuch more sense than the expense of a 2nd bike.

Scored a 2nd hand rack off of eBay and have my eye on a 2mnd hand top box, but I'll buy new if it doesn't pan out. :thumbup:
You are following the democratic will of the people. 60% voted in favour. :D

I thought the panniers recommended up there ^ looked rather nifty too - and a reasonable price.

A bike with carrying capacity is a Business vehicle, without is Domestic and Pleasure/Leisure. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire