MCN Yamaha Ténéré World Raid brings more range, extra suspension travel, and more gadgets

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

MCN Yamaha Ténéré World Raid brings more range, extra suspension travel, and more gadgets

Post by weeksy »

Yamaha have unveiled a long distance, off-road adventure focused version of their Ténéré 700, which joins the BMW F850GSA in the land of the supertankers.

Until now, if you wanted a really long range middleweight you had to go for the BMW, or opt for something with slightly less fuel capacity such as the KTM 890 Adventure R, both of which are considerably more electronically bedecked.

Now Yamaha are hoping those who want to go a long way without too much of a fuss will be tempted by this new big-tanked World Raid edition.

The biggest change comes in the bodywork and running gear, with most focus on the new tanks. Gone is the previous single 16-litre tank in favour of dual side-mounted items, which boost overall capacity to 23 litres.

Terrain and riding style dependent, a fuel range of around 300 miles isn’t inconceivable. Despite the additional weight, Yamaha say weight distribution and centre of gravity remain the same, while the new shape helps riders move around.

The additional range will be a welcome change for many riders – we’ve had the fuel light on in as light as 120 miles on our test bikes – although the additional weight might not please everyone.

The other big chassis change comes in the suspension, with new forks and a new piggyback shock both increasing suspension travel by 20mm.

Up front, the 43mm KYBs are adjustable for preload, rebound and compression damping while a new coating is claimed to reduce internal friction.

At the rear a revised linkage along with that new piggyback shock (also fully adjustable) should provide a more progressive feel to the rear wheel travel, while a new rubber bump stop ought to reduce jarring if you bottom it out.

For a little more front wheel stability, Yamaha have kitted the new machine with an Öhlins steering damper, with a full 18 clicks of adjustment.

Despite it being known as a back-to-basics, pure adventure bike, Yamaha have boosted the electronics on the new World Raid model. For a start the bike now has a 5in colour TFT dash, which can connect to a smartphone for notifications, although it stops short of music or navigation control.

The Raid also brings a new three-mode ABS set up, cycling through On, Rear Wheel Off and Fully Off, which you can choose based on your skill and the terrain.

KungFooBob

Re: MCN Yamaha Ténéré World Raid brings more range, extra suspension travel, and more gadgets

Post by KungFooBob »

I like that, I thought the council one was a bit wee and nesh, but that one is much more butch.
porter_jamie

Re: MCN Yamaha Ténéré World Raid brings more range, extra suspension travel, and more gadgets

Post by porter_jamie »

i think i'd struggle to reach the ground on the standard one but that looks pretty cool.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Looks :thumbup:

Anyone know anything about the engine? Hopefully better/more engaging than the F800.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

It's an MT-07 engine

Bike looks good, I didn't realise the normal one had a 16 litre tank, I thought it would be bigger.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Meh.

I've no use for the ugly thing. :P
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Love it. Now I know what a peach the CP2 engine is and that the Tenere has it, I may well get the ordinary one as the riding position would suit me better than the MT-07's. but I'll need a new knee first! :think:
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

PAH! I’d rather have a Ducati DesertX for nipping across the Sahara to Aldi.

Couchy

Post by Couchy »

I loved the MT07, the tenere 700 I had didn’t make me feel the same, it was a bit disappointing tbh. The extra weight etc blunts the performance, the handling wasn’t as good as an Africa twin and the front end was vague. Shame really
dosruedas

Post by dosruedas »

OK, a long range is great but so is light weight. Add fuel capacity with something like Desert Fox fuel bladders, not dirty great petrol tanks. The time taken to refill the OEM tank from the bladder will be much needed downtime and if you want an adventure, you need to slow down.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

weeksy wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:01 am

Now Yamaha are hoping those who want to go a long way without too much of a fuss will be tempted by this new big-tanked World Raid edition.

Despite it being known as a back-to-basics, pure adventure bike, Yamaha have boosted the electronics on the new World Raid model. For a start the bike now has a 5in colour TFT dash, which can connect to a smartphone for notifications, although it stops short of music or navigation control.

The Raid also brings a new three-mode ABS set up, cycling through On, Rear Wheel Off and Fully Off, which you can choose based on your skill and the terrain.

I don't get it myself,it looks more like a bike the posers ride to the local bike meet/coffee shop,at least they've not stuck a beak on it. :wtf:
I'd love Yamaha to make a MT07 engined basic bike with 19 front wheel,250 mile range,minimal electronics,switchable ABS & a options catalogue for extras,a sort of modern Transalp / V Strom,they'd sell loads of them.
How much of a price hike compared to the T7 is this bike?
I'd rather have a Himalayan or CB500X & spend the money I've saved on actualy going traveling on a long tour again.
Adventure riding?
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid
No need for fancy electronics or lots of weight. :thumbdown:
Felix

Post by Felix »

Hot_Air wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:33 pm PAH! I’d rather have a Ducati DesertX for nipping across the Sahara to Aldi.

That is nice. White does it no favours though.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Indeed. Why isn’t it Ducati red?