Trading Standards take action at London Bike Show

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Trading Standards take action at London Bike Show

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Last week on my Elevenses webcast I mentioned that the organisers of this weekend’s Carole Nash MCN London Motorcycle Show were reminding retailers of motorcycling clothing about their legal obligations - specifically the need for all clothing to be in conformity with the CE regulations.

Paul Varnsverry commented on his LinkedIn page that "The usual suspects understood to be purveyors of non-conforming clothing are listed as exhibitors, so it’s down to London Borough of Newham Trading Standards to visit and set them off on the straight and narrow."

Well, it appears that's just what's happened.

Paul told me yesterday that he spent Friday at the show working with officers from London Borough of Newham Trading Standards and assisting with market surveillance and enforcement activity.

PHOTO SHOW

And here's the count, according to Paul's LinkIn feed.

26 stands were spoken to.

And there was an intervention on 11, ranging from words of advice, through a requirement to put up a large sign stating “Fashion wear only - not for motorcycling use”, to taking goods off display.

Even more extreme - some goods were confiscated and one stand was closed.

And fairly remarkably, one stand was reportedly trying to sell products which they had been instructed to take off sale, while Trading Standards were still on their stand!

In case you're interested... I covered the story on my Elevenses webcast this morning.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

Re: Trading Standards take action at London Bike Show

Further quick update - Paul Varnsverry informs me that approaching 50% of the stands (presumably those selling clothing) were retailing goods that were non-compliant.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:32 pm Further quick update - Paul Varnsverry informs me that approaching 50% of the stands (presumably those selling clothing) were retailing goods that were non-compliant.
Hardly a surprise
non quod, sed quomodo
The Spin Doctor

Not to Paul, that's for sure.
Skub

Post by Skub »

So,did ya blag any cheapies? For fashion wear,of course. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Always amazed at the amount of mickey mouse kit that was sold at "bike shows" in the past 20 years and the majority of it would disintegrate on first contact with tarmac.

Nice to see the authorities actually try and do something about these sellers at an actual big event
wull

Post by wull »

One thing I’ve never done is purchased stuff from bike shows, main reason being I’m terrible at making decisions, as soon as there is choice in front of me that’s it, done myself a favour there maybe 👀