Which motorcycling Jeans?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
MrLongbeard

Re: Which motorcycling Jeans?

Post by MrLongbeard »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:24 am
Which is better than almost all their other kit as far as I can see. Most of their Textile especially is rated to the French standards rather than EU I noticed but I think is generally rated as A.
FR EN?
Maybe because they're a French company? Either way it's still an EN.

Or maybe because they were using the provisional FR EN standard before it was finalised, it's usually easier to get hold of the French version of provisional standard before anyone else
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

I like the look of this hoodie :thumbup:

Furygan's Brad hoodie asks a lot of questions of a few leathers. Some expensive Italian leathers only manage an AA-rating, yet Furygan can make an AAA-rated top for under £200. It shows that proper gear doesn't have to cost the French earth. Merci Furygan!

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:38 am Or maybe because they were using the provisional FR EN standard before it was finalised
Have you seen what Superbike Freaks' investigation found about this?
Superbike Freaks wrote: Furygan replied with: “Before the new standard was validated and published we were using a protocol validated by French government and French independent laboratory. This protocol is quite similar to the EN13594, but as a protocol it has no number attached. Now the standard officially exists we use it to approve our gloves. Little by little, they will all become EN13594.”
Mascagman

Post by Mascagman »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:24 am Seems Furygan have a hoodie rated to AAA
https://www.motolegends.com/reviews/Fur ... die-review

Which is better than almost all their other kit as far as I can see. Most of their Textile especially is rated to the French standards rather than EU I noticed but I think is generally rated as A.
Fair play to them, aim high :D There is a trick to achieve AAA, that is to fully line the garment with a good weight of Kevlar. Outer materials dont need to pass abrasion, seam and tear strength, just the Kevlar.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Could you have explained why Dainese leathers commonly have just an AA-rating? The stretch panels aren’t lined with Kevlar, and Dainese uses lots of stretch material. For instance, check out this sexy-looking Tuono jacket (rated AA and £1,350 :shock: ). With unlined stretch material in the middle of the chest, a slide on your front could be a massacre!

The contrast with Hideout is marked: both brands use incredibly supple leather that feels blissful. And both make good use of stretch panels. But Hideout uses Keprotec for its stretch material, and lines it with Kevlar to boot. You were right about British manufacturers leading the way in the protection field ...
Mascagman wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:54 pmGood old British manufacturers who have been making them for years would have excelled through higher standards as they are such a high quality.
Mascagman

Post by Mascagman »

Hot_Air wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:39 am Could you have explained why Dainese leathers commonly have just an AA-rating? The stretch panels aren’t lined with Kevlar, and Dainese uses lots of stretch material. For instance, check out this sexy-looking Tuono jacket (rated AA and £1,350 :shock: ). With unlined stretch material in the middle of the chest, a slide on your front could be a massacre!
AA is what i would say the "go to" class is. Requirements are not too high, they are also not too low, this is what a bog standard textile jacket or trouser should be achieving, hence why the stretch fabric manages to pass without backing. Never in a million years should a suit be going under AAA, let alone having the audacity of charging £1350. These are the same kind of brands that lobbied for the Level 3 to be dropped from EN 13595 because their products were not good enough.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Mascagman wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:04 pmNever in a million years should a suit be going under AAA, let alone having the audacity of charging £1350.
I totally agree. But what can anyone do about it?
Mascagman wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:04 pmThese are the same kind of brands that lobbied for the Level 3 to be dropped from EN 13595 because their products were not good enough.
And lobbying by these Italian companies (resulting in lower standards) has disadvantaged British companies. It's bad for British manufacturing and riders alike :sad: Could Brexit present any opportunities to address things?
Mascagman

Post by Mascagman »

Hot_Air wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:34 pm
I totally agree. But what can anyone do about it?
Sadly, nothing. it is ultimately down to the company how they want to certify and market their products. The best way to combat it is just get educated about what to look out for when buying and learning about what all of the European standards mean. If you stumble across anything dodgy, report it to UK trading standards and they will look in to it.
Hot_Air wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:34 pm And lobbying by these Italian companies (resulting in lower standards) has disadvantaged British companies. It's bad for British manufacturing and riders alike :sad: Could Brexit present any opportunities to address things?
When the UKCA mark comes in to affect next year, i know there are a few that are attempting to make the withdrawn EN 13595 a British standard, so that brands are able to certify against it again from UK notified bodies.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Mascagman wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:48 pmi know there are a few that are attempting to make the withdrawn EN 13595 a British standard, so that brands are able to certify against it again from UK notified bodies.
Fingers crossed! It would benefit British manufacturers – who have always been at the forefront of rider protection – and UK notified bodies alike :thumbup: Also, a British Standard that's rigorous could have some international influence too.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

This months Adventure Bike Rider has a review of 14 different pairs of jeans.

They say the best budget ones are Roadskins Easyrider Jeans @ £139 and the best on test is a draw between Hood K7-AA Infinity @ £159 and RST Reinforced Tech Pro Textile Jeans @ £169.

They tested A* at £239 and BMW ones @ £259, do people really pay that much for jeans?
Skub

Post by Skub »

The RST can be had for 120 quid,if you shop around.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... gKrvvD_BwE
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

These look quite interesting.

https://www.roadskin.co.uk/product/easy ... cle-jeans/

No lining at all, makes them cooler and more like normal jeans.

and check out the gloves, you get them free if you order at the same time as the jeans!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Skub wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:00 pm The RST can be had for 120 quid,if you shop around.

Man , you have to love that look to bother wearing them :eh:
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:02 pm These look quite interesting.

https://www.roadskin.co.uk/product/easy ... cle-jeans/

No lining at all, makes them cooler and more like normal jeans.

and check out the gloves, you get them free if you order at the same time as the jeans!
I will be looking at these with interest - have just bought some bargain Roland Sands one - but if the are rubbish, might be in for some of these ...
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:07 pm
Skub wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:00 pm The RST can be had for 120 quid,if you shop around.

Man , you have to love that look to bother wearing them :eh:
I have had other brands (Draggin) and so forth,but they are shapeless bags,horrible fit and anyone's guess as to where the armour would end up,if shit did go wrong.
I find the fit great with the RST,I was about to give up on the idea until I found them.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Wore my knox jeans to ride to Hunstanton on Monday, cooler around the knees than vented A* leather jeans but warmer round the crotch. All this working from home I've got to fat for the leathers to stay fastend and the Knox are a size bigger and I can use a belt, but the pocket for the knee armour is way to big. The blurb states the armour is adjustable but it just sinks to the bottom of the pocket as there is nothing to hold it in place if your leg isn't bent. I tried double sided tape but it would grip the rubbery armour so ended up sowing it in place through some vent holes already in the armour, not very good but at least it stays over my knees when I walk at the petrol station or straighten my leg when riding.
Did wonder about velcro but don't think that will stick to the pads and I would have to sow one side to the jeans
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Yorick wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:45 am
MrLongbeard wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:35 am
Yorick wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:20 am

Most track crashes are below the UK speed limit. I'd call 70 a fast off.
It's not all about the speed, on the road you are more likely to meet kerbs, road furniture and cars etc than slide for a long distance.
That's why leathers with better armour.

But I still have no problem riding into town in t-shirt, shorts and sandals.
There are sandals made for the job.

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

JackyJoll wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:28 am
MrLongbeard wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:35 am

It's not all about the speed, on the road you are more likely to meet kerbs, road furniture and cars etc than slide for a long distance.

That's a pisstake, right? Can anyone honestly believe that those sandals realistically offer anything in the way of protection? The only protection it offers is against contact with the gear lever.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You're forgetting the integrated safety sock they come with.
Hot_Air

Motorcycling jeans — knee armour

Post by Hot_Air »

GuzziPaul wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:12 pm knee armour ... there is nothing to hold it in place if your leg isn't bent.
I've worn various Kevlar jeans but could never keep the knee armour in place. I gave up on them, as I found the armour movement uncomfortable and doubted it would protect my knees in a crash.

But have you seen 4SR’s solution to keep knee armour in place in their jeans? I'd like to know if anyone's tried 4SR biker jeans.
4SR wrote: we invented and patented an elastic leg that holds the protector on the knee and shin. We built this patented system into our branded Kevlar jeans to keep the protectors in place.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:57 am
JackyJoll wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:28 am

That's a pisstake, right? Can anyone honestly believe that those sandals realistically offer anything in the way of protection? The only protection it offers is against contact with the gear lever.
This is pretty convincing!