Which motorcycling Jeans?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
G.P

Which motorcycling Jeans?

Post by G.P »

I tried a pair of Draggin Jean on when they first came out yonks ago, I thought they were heavy too wide in the leg and didn't seem to be the right shape so I have stuck with my Levi's of invincibility (including a weeks touring round France).

Seems there has been a lot of progress and now there is loads of choice with Kevlar, Aramid, etc etc.

So what do you recommend? I 'm after a straight leg so they don;t flap about the place, I don;y want them to be too bulky and be comfortable off the bike

TIA :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Which motorcycling Jeans?

Post by weeksy »

Resurgence from SBS.... that's my day to day jeans you've seen me out in.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... t_cat/1898

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/239679
G.P

Post by G.P »

For that kind of money I'd want something that's got built in protection rather than having to put hip and knee protectors in - look good though 8-)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

G.P wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:09 pm For that kind of money I'd want something that's got built in protection rather than having to put hip and knee protectors in - look good though 8-)
They kinda do.... the hip and knee stuff is D3O and can be removed/inserted into the pouches as with most armour these days... I have it out myself. But with it in, you can barely notice it... I can show you at the w/e if you like.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I've got some Hood ones, but TBH I prefer my Dainese leathers, they're more comfortable and not as hot.
Honda Owner
Skub

Post by Skub »

G.P wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:57 pm I tried a pair of Draggin Jean on when they first came out yonks ago, I thought they were heavy too wide in the leg and didn't seem to be the right shape so I have stuck with my Levi's of invincibility (including a weeks touring round France).

Seems there has been a lot of progress and now there is loads of choice with Kevlar, Aramid, etc etc.

So what do you recommend? I 'm after a straight leg so they don;t flap about the place, I don;y want them to be too bulky and be comfortable off the bike

TIA :thumbup:
Draggin jean make you look like a skinny man in a fat man's clothes,shapeless and hotter than leather on a warm day.

I have a pair of RST armoured jeans which are a good fit and comfy on and off the bike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RST-2327-Ara ... j64wSW-v6A
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

I have some Knox ones complete with armour I would agree with G.P and Julian B. They are pretty shapeless and warm and preffer my A* leather 2 piece (Dianese Jacket) jeans with all the ventilation holes. I got them for riding my Le Mans re living my 80s youth, when I went everywhere in jeans and a leather jacket (and germany army para boots). I reckon I've worn them no more than five times in two years, got a good deal as the shop was closing down, maybe should have gone for some others but they were recommended.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:24 pm I've got some Hood ones, but TBH I prefer my Dainese leathers, they're more comfortable and not as hot.
I have some early Hoods and tbh they're too damned hot. I tend to wear them only in winter/spring/autumn now.
In summer I wear a pair of BMW Summer trousers - need to get a new pair tbh, I've had them ages.
non quod, sed quomodo
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

My mate got some from xl moto online recently. £40 down from £100. Went out with him yesterday and they look great. Bit stretchy aswel. Hip n knee protection sold separately. Good fit, no flapping. Might get some myself.
Yamaha rocket 3
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

I've got some early Hood Jeans, still going strong, as others have said they are hot in summer.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I've got some older Bull-it SR6 jeans which I prefer to my old draggins but which are lined so not as cool as normal jeans. Later Bull-it jeans looks much better in terms of fit and style. They now also do a double AA rated single layer jean which should be cooler than lined jeans or a AAA jean which is single layer with lined knees/hip/arse area. I ordered a 34 waist which I am but I should really have ordered a 32 as they come up big so I'd go a size down unless you is a fatty boom boom init. They are water repellent too.

Currently down to 100 quid for some pairs
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/429011
Mascagman

Post by Mascagman »

inewham wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:28 pm I've got a couple of pairs of Bikers Paradise jeans. https://www.bikersparadise.co.uk/Men's- ... Jeans.html
They fit well, they adjusted the length while I waited. They're not fully lined only bum, hips and knees but they are a bit cooler, maybe. Being a straight fit the armour seems to stay more or less where it should be (I have a pair of Red Route where you could wrap the knee armour around the back of your knee)
Make sure you are buying g reputable jeans that are certified. Bikers paradise seem to claim their garments meet the standard but are they actually certified?
Mascagman

Post by Mascagman »

inewham wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:48 pm
Mascagman wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:00 pm Make sure you are buying g reputable jeans that are certified. Bikers paradise seem to claim their garments meet the standard but are they actually certified?
Certainly. You pays your money you takes your choice,just saying what I'm happy with

To be fair Jeans getting certified is a relatively recent thing - the Red Route jeans I have certainly weren't, they're hopeless. At the time i bought them most jeans weren't certified and just had kevlar bum knees and hips.
From memory CE1 doesn't really guarantee that much abrasion resistance, 4 seconds over most of the leg where there isn't body armour.
Although in 4 seconds you've probably already smashed into a kerb / lamp post / bus stop. CE1 is no substitute for being careful :thumbup:
Level 1 and 2 will be a thing of the past soon. Standard will be withdrawn by 2023. I get that people don't like the new AAA - C rating system but it is now the norm. Just remember that because they claim to meet the standard or have had materials tested for slide times 5 years ago does not mean the garment is road worthy. Every single garment needs to go through a full CE process to be valid on the EU market.

I dont like the sound of crashing in to a bus stop mind you. :wtf:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I would imagine, to give any sort of protection you need all the inserts. Not sure Kevlar or whatever works well with moving tarmac. But for sunny day riding with short brown lace ups, looks pretty smart. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

inewham wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:48 pm
Mascagman wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:00 pm Make sure you are buying g reputable jeans that are certified. Bikers paradise seem to claim their garments meet the standard but are they actually certified?
Certainly. You pays your money you takes your choice,just saying what I'm happy with

To be fair Jeans getting certified is a relatively recent thing - the Red Route jeans I have certainly weren't, they're hopeless. At the time i bought them most jeans weren't certified and just had kevlar bum knees and hips.
From memory CE1 doesn't really guarantee that much abrasion resistance, 4 seconds over most of the leg where there isn't body armour.
Although in 4 seconds you've probably already smashed into a kerb / lamp post / bus stop. CE1 is no substitute for being careful :thumbup:
CE1 guarantees a LOT more abrasion resistance than the new level A rating which is what virtually all the new 'armoured' jeans are rated to.

The worrying thing is that ordinary Denim fashion jeans can meet the A rating.

If you want to see the results of independent tests, check out https://www.motocap.com.au/products/pants

I interviewed Dr Chris Hurren, the materials scientist behind the tests a few weeks ago.
it's quite long, but it's comprehensive.
Advanced trainer since 1997
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskills.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Why not discuss which pom pom hats give the best protection in a crash ?

I was around the tracks for nigh on 30 years and saw hundreds of crashes. Only leathers will save you in a fast 'off'.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Yorick wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:16 pm Why not discuss which pom pom hats give the best protection in a crash ?

I was around the tracks for nigh on 30 years and saw hundreds of crashes. Only leathers will save you in a fast 'off'.
Is it because a " fast off " on a race track bears sod all relation to a typical off on the road.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:16 pm
Me too, but not for as long ....... a "fast off" leather is the go to no doubt.

At UK legal maximum speed my thin Dainese Goretex wore through but the armour saved me injury on my skin ...... hence the discussion on jeans etc as something to ride in and walk about in without full leathers. I prefer full leathers myself but have looked at airmesh jackets and kevlar jeans for teaching at sub 70 mph speeds during summer.

Remember a lot of people actually ride at 70 mph or below most of the time with the odd punt up to more ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:12 am
Yorick wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:16 pm Why not discuss which pom pom hats give the best protection in a crash ?

Is it because a " fast off " on a race track bears sod all relation to a typical off on the road.
At 70 I'd rather crash in leather.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I'd rather crash in the ones that are better than leather

Not every manufacturer test its jeans for abrasion; in fact, by far the majority do not. But a weave like Resurgence’s Pekev records a ’slide’ time of 10.83 seconds. Now that’s impressive, because that’s twice as long as leather. And leather is way over the top for normal road riding. The slide time on leather is normally between 4-5 seconds

The Resurgence Gear jeans and cargo pants both have the PEKEV liner that has now been tested to the EN 13595-2 standard.

The standard calls for a minimum 2 second abrasion resistance and the Resurgence Gear material lasted 23.2 seconds in the test.

UPDATE (November 2014): The Resurgence Gear PEKEV men’s and women’s jeans have now been certified to CE Level 2 standards by SATRA.

Technology moves on, leather hasn't got worse, but man made materials have got better