Domio helmet audio

Anything you like about motorbikes
rodbargee

Domio helmet audio

Post by rodbargee »

interesting! not a game changer but might appeal to some.
dern

Re: Domio helmet audio

Post by dern »

Looked interesting until I saw this... https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.domiosports.com

I'm out.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

94% feedback giving 1*

Doesn't get more damning than that really
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

dern wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:13 pm Looked interesting until I saw this... https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.domiosports.com

I'm out.
Quite!
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

wouldnt have posted this if i'd done more diligence
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

rodbargee wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:15 pm wouldnt have posted this if i'd done more diligence
IT's good in a way as someone else may not read the reviews.. but may read here..

Bad feedback is just as important as good :)
dern

Post by dern »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:49 am IT's good in a way as someone else may not read the reviews.. but may read here..

Bad feedback is just as important as good :)
Couldn't agree more. They're marketing this pretty heavily so I'm sure that this thread will be useful :)
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

This device seems reminiscent of the chap who was trying to sell us at YTV'S Sound dept, a stereo set up that only had one speaker Holophonics I think he called it, we asked for him to bring a demo set up but he never turned up he just sent some stereo tracks on DAT that were obviously dummy head recordings and nice, but you still needed two headphone speakers to derive the stereo, how he thought he could get a stereo from one point source eluded us ( and I suspect him) snake oil. this chap but he swore he could do it with one speaker...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holophonics
Last edited by rodbargee on Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Is it two Dolmio jars and a piece of wet string?
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:11 pm Is it two Dolmio jars and a piece of wet string?
If you're lucky I should think.
Horse

Post by Horse »

rodbargee wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:08 pm This device seems reminiscent of the chap who was trying to sell us at YTV'S Sound dept, a stereo set up that only had one speaker Holophonics I think he called it, we asked for him to bring a demo set up but he never turned up he just sent some stereo tracks on DAT that were obviously dummy head recordings and nice, but you still needed two headphone speakers to derive the stereo
There was 'something' used on a few CDs in the mid-90s that gave a pseudo surround effect from stereo. Guessing, they simply built in an echo/delay. Or summat.

Anyway, I borrowed one CD, it was convincing. That was the last I heard if it.

That said, how do tv sound bars give the 'surround' effect? [If they do?]
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

see below
Last edited by rodbargee on Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Horse wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:31 pm
rodbargee wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:08 pm This device seems reminiscent of the chap who was trying to sell us at YTV'S Sound dept, a stereo set up that only had one speaker Holophonics I think he called it, we asked for him to bring a demo set up but he never turned up he just sent some stereo tracks on DAT that were obviously dummy head recordings and nice, but you still needed two headphone speakers to derive the stereo
There was 'something' used on a few CDs in the mid-90s that gave a pseudo surround effect from stereo. Guessing, they simply built in an echo/delay. Or summat.

Anyway, I borrowed one CD, it was convincing. That was the last I heard if it.

That said, how do tv sound bars give the 'surround' effect? [If they do?]
the pseudo surround is a simple phase trick the further out of phase a stereo source is the more it appears to come from behind you a sound source behind you arrives at the ears slightly after the sound from the front thus if the source at the front is very out of phase it appears to come from behind.
It takes longer to reach your ear drums as it travels round the ears pinner. An out of phase front sound source, cancels itself out to a large degree thus fooling the ears that is coming from the back as the out of phase-ness is what the ear is used to hearing when sound comes from behind in the real world IYSWIM
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Interesting... and presumably this works because you're expecting music to be in time and to a rhythm?

If it were just random sound would it work?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:30 pm Interesting... and presumably this works because you're expecting music to be in time and to a rhythm?

If it were just random sound would it work?
if the phase in a stereo piece of music is 180deg out of phase it cancels itself out completely in mono so if you have a surround system for the telly it will only come out of the back speakers as mixers found out to their cost as granny and her mono tv couldn't hear anything but those with surround sound heard it from only the back speakers. we transmitted some commercials completely out of phase once, and the only one who heard it was one of the assistants who had his surround on and it came out the back, not good for drama as the programme gets ruined we have a line of out of phaseness drawn on the mixers, past which granny gets nowt.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

the dolby boxes sense out of phase signals and route the out of phase stuff to the back which is fine if you intend to do it but crap if the dialogue gets routed there by mistake.
5.1 +7.1 etc is different as each speaker is fed separately