Insignificant Things That Make You Happy.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: Insignificant Things That Make You Happy.

Post by Count Steer »

Yambo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:00 am In Turkish the letters of the alphabet are always pronounced the same - all 29 of them.

The letter C is always pronounced like an english 'J' so 'can' meaning life is pronounced jan.

In English, the letter i can be pronounced differently, as in hit and sir. In Turkish you would write them hit and sır.

There is no W or Q but there ıs a soft G - yumushak Ğ which follows a vowel and lengthens it so dağ (mountain) is pronounced daar.

It's all quite logical and is the easiest part of learning Turkish. But then you get onto verb endings and possessives and it starts getting difficult.

Council = belediye; Marmaris council = Marmaris Beledıyesi. My Turkish bank is İş Bankası, the 'si' and 'sı' on the ends beıng the possessıve.
There's a reason it's so logical though eh? Written Turkish pre the 1930s is a bit different. :D Good ol' Kemal A decided to 'westernise' the language (but iirc kicked out a lot of imported words) and it was done quickly and logically.

Makes it easy to get a quick grip on basic written Turkish - spoken is a bit more :shock:
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

While we're on the subject of English pronunciation... would anybody like to hear my favourite Limerick?

Yes, of course you would. :) Here goes:

There was a young lady from Slough
Who one day developed a cough
She wasn't to know
It would last until now
I hope that young lady pulls through.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

There was once a Duchess of Bray,
You may be surprised when I say,
Despite her high station,
Rank and education,
Still spelt cunt with a K.

I like a smutty limerick. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Taking a car for an MOT retest, having bought two new front tyres and having it pass, so that it can be taxed for another year. :thumbup:

Wait, hang on. It's not my car, it's the Gremlinette's.

Mods: can you move this post to the 'Insignificant things that boil your piss' thread? :angry-cussingblack:

Maybe we need a 'Mugged off dads' thread. :lol:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

gremlin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:03 pm Taking a car for an MOT retest, having bought two new front tyres and having it pass, so that it can be taxed for another year. :thumbup:

Mods: can you move this post to the 'Insignificant things that boil your piss' thread? :angry-cussingblack:

I think I'd own that thread
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:23 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:03 pm Taking a car for an MOT retest, having bought two new front tyres and having it pass, so that it can be taxed for another year. :thumbup:

I think I'd own that thread
You’ve both only got the one, try three.
Three cars and three insurances, three of everything including three six figure lump sums I promised each of them towards a house ( that I paid out in a oner last month), etc.
My bank phoned to check I wasn’t elderly and vulnerable and being coerced by them :D
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Potter wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:30 pm being coerced by them :D
Only since the day they're born, right? ;)

I should add that me forking out was after one of my lectures on prudence with money and prioritising expenses and that if she wants the car she needs to budget and pre-plan for future costs and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah....
Potter

Post by Potter »

gremlin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:49 pm
Tbh it was a farce, the bank rejected one transfer and said I had to call them, so I did and this dopey sounding bloke asked me a load of questions off a screen about whether I was being coerced to send the money. It was for my daughter and I told him she was sitting right next to me and he didn’t even flinch, just carried on asking questions, she could have had a knife to my throat.

TBH I wish I could do more, young people have got a tough time getting the sort of things that we took as basic rights, like a decent house that isn’t priced about four times what they should be.
David

Post by David »

Potter wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:49 pm
Tbh it was a farce, the bank rejected one transfer and said I had to call them, so I did and this dopey sounding bloke asked me a load of questions off a screen about whether I was being coerced to send the money. It was for my daughter and I told him she was sitting right next to me and he didn’t even flinch, just carried on asking questions, she could have had a knife to my throat.

TBH I wish I could do more, young people have got a tough time getting the sort of things that we took as basic rights, like a decent house that isn’t priced about four times what they should be.
yes dad, it's turrible...can oi 'ave mine or is it sharp thing time again?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

It’s cold and it’s snowing. Gonna be a lovely last week of the season
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Felix

Post by Felix »

My first full week at work without being rained off. OK half day today as van was in garage getting new tyres but making that up tomorrow. Two days this week i was even down to working in the T-Shirt :lol: Its the Midges i feel sorry for
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I love the driving part of my job cos I get to see sunrises and sunsets and often an awesome full moon

Today I’ll be grinning a lot cos not only was there a full moon, at one point I was driving down a long straight, trees on one side, mountains either side and ahead, and it was like driving towards the moon. Blooming awesome. Sadly no photos as had passengers and so couldn’t stop. But it was proper lush 💗💗
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

The range of birds I see in my garden.
In Lancs the variety is quite surprising. Yesterday I saw a Greenfinch.

We have the common ones , lots of Blackbirds, Sparrows, Starlings, etc, but also I regularly see Wrens, a variety of Tits, Finches, etc.
I'm yet to see a Nightjar, which would be amazing to see.

My wife was asking me about the various types of Tit, I googled Cold Tits to show her a picture and didn't get the pictures I was expecting :lol:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:34 am
My wife was asking me about the various types of Tit, I googled Cold Tits to show her a picture and didn't get the pictures I was expecting :lol:
Aren't they Coal Tits? Although I suppose even they can get a bit nippy. :D

cheb

Post by cheb »

Herons, red throated mergansers, cormorants, herring gulls, black back gulls, common gull and the occasional swan on the sea loch outside.

It's odd seeing a flotilla a swans glide by on the sea.

There's also plenty of raptors and owls but I'm not sure which ones. Sea eagles, golden eagles for sure. And whatever causes small greyish birds to explode judging by the feathers in the garden. And something eats the dead small rodents the cat brings me as tribute. I leave them outside on The Rock of Sacrifice to placate The Gods.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I see Parakeets sometimes in the car park at work :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I crippled myself last year lifting a very drunk f-i-l up te steps into his place. Anything I did set my back off again and i'd end up laying down flat for half hour to recover as best as i could. Today I carried some concrete bricks thorough the house and down the bottom of the garden. Baby steps, but a month ago I couldn't have lifted one of them out of the car! Looks like playing pacman at the gym is working! :thumbup:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:47 am I crippled myself last year lifting a very drunk f-i-l up te steps into his place. Anything I did set my back off again and i'd end up laying down flat for half hour to recover as best as i could. Today I carried some concrete bricks thorough the house and down the bottom of the garden. Baby steps, but a month ago I couldn't have lifted one of them out of the car! Looks like playing pacman at the gym is working! :thumbup:
You need a wheelbarrow or a trolley. I have both.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It'd be hard to get the FiL up the steps in a wheelbarrow.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Pool repairs finally finished!
Just need to replace the lamp and add 75000 litres of water!