When is a KTM adventure bike NOT a KTM adventure bike

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

When is a KTM adventure bike NOT a KTM adventure bike

Post by weeksy »

New CFMoto 800MT heading to UK: KTM-based adventurer to hit dealers in summer

CFMoto have confirmed the first big bike from their deal with KTM will arrive in dealers in June – with prices starting below £10k.

Called the 800MT, the bike uses the 799cc parallel twin from KTM’s outgoing 790 Adventure. The unit produces an A2-restrictable 92bhp and 65lb.ft of torque.

It hasn’t lost too much of the tech we’ve come to associate with the original bike including slipper clutch, cornering ABS, ride-by wire throttle and multiple riding modes.

Plus there’s a high level of comfort tech that wasn’t on the 790, including cruise control, tyre pressure sensors and a 7 inch colour TFT dash with Bluetooth connectivity for navigation.

The chassis spec is more than respectable with fully adjustable KYB suspension, which will be a welcome addition for some riders. The suspension is 160mm front, 150mm rear with just a 825mm seat height – 25mm lower than the standard seat on the Adventure and 55mm lower than the Adventure R.

The only other spec downgrade is the swap to J.Juan brakes from Brembo, but the 320mm twin disc front-end and 260mm single at the back should be more than adequate.

The fuel tank is now a traditional shape, rather than the large twin saddle items on the 790, although capacity has only dropped by one litre, to 19 litres. There are plenty of the usual accessories you’d expect, including three-piece hard luggage, engine bars, centrestand and handguards.

There will be two versions when it arrives in the UK: the entry-level Sport and the fully loaded Touring option. As well as the luggage, the Touring model also gets the quickshifter/blipper as standard plus handguards, spoked wheels (with gold rims naturally) as well as an exclusive blue paintjob.

Both have a four-year warranty and the option of two-year interest free finance. Pricing hasn’t been confirmed but CFMoto say the Sport will start from around £9500, which is a near £2500 saving over a brand-new KTM 890 Adventure.
The Spin Doctor

Re: When is a KTM adventure bike NOT a KTM adventure bike

Post by The Spin Doctor »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:14 pm The only other spec downgrade is the swap to J.Juan brakes from Brembo
Who are now owned by Brembo... https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/ ... %20of,Juan
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

So the all new CFMoto is a 790 KTM in a different frock.

Is that a bit like the all new Husqvarna Norden 901 being a 790 KTM in a different frock
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Isn't the Norden an 890 in flip flops?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:40 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:14 pm The only other spec downgrade is the swap to J.Juan brakes from Brembo
Who are now owned by Brembo... https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/ ... %20of,Juan
I also notice in the small print that Brembo have taken over SBS, the Danish motorcycle pad manufacturer.

Is Brembo just buying up the competition?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:02 pm Isn't the Norden an 890 in flip flops?
My mistake, yeah its an 890 in a different frock

A bit like the Gas Gas 450 Rallye used for the Dakar being a KTM 450 Rallye in a different frock along with the Husquarna 450 Rallye also being a KTM 450 Rallye etc etc etc ;)
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Tbh they can’t make a worse job than KTM building it
The Spin Doctor

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:08 pm
I also notice in the small print that Brembo have taken over SBS, the Danish motorcycle pad manufacturer.

Yep. In my view.

The alternative argument is that it's consolidating the 'vertical supply chain' - ie, they supply everything to do with brakes.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I prefer the look of that to the 790. The tank does look very tall though. I know many bikers break their pelvis's on the petrol tank, but that'd take your ribs out too!
The Spin Doctor

Supermofo wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:09 am I prefer the look of that to the 790. The tank does look very tall though. I know many bikers break their pelvis's on the petrol tank, but that'd take your ribs out too!
Indeed.

There was a reason for the coffin tank models of the 70s where the top of the tank was level with the seat.

Then all you had to worry about was the gonad-removing filler cap!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:27 am
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:08 pm

Yep. In my view.

The alternative argument is that it's consolidating the 'vertical supply chain' - ie, they supply everything to do with brakes.
That's being charitable, I think. Brembo already make a large range of pads - does it make sense to have two competing brands in house?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

If its as simple as that why do they still have the J Juan brand too?

Companies buying up competitors etc is as old as business innit? Maybe SBS were on the verge of going under and Brembo saved em? Maybe the previous owners wanted shot cause it didn't fit with their portfolio? Maybe the guy who owned SBS wanted to retire? Maybe they come up with some fancy new way of making brake pads which Brembo couldn't afford to NOT own? Who knows.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:39 pm If its as simple as that why do they still have the J Juan brand too?
That question should be addressed to Brembo, not me.
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:39 pm Companies buying up competitors etc is as old as business innit? Maybe SBS were on the verge of going under and Brembo saved em? Maybe the previous owners wanted shot cause it didn't fit with their portfolio? Maybe the guy who owned SBS wanted to retire? Maybe they come up with some fancy new way of making brake pads which Brembo couldn't afford to NOT own? Who knows.
Indeed - who knows? But it's interesting that Brembo have swallowed up two competitors in a very short space of time. And SBS are/were one of the major players in the OE and aftermarket pad arena and that is/was their sole line of business. So you can view their actions altruistically as you are doing (big-hearted Brembo saves plucky manufacturer from going under) or you can take the more cynical view, as I do.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm sure SBSs former owners can cry themselves to sleep on their big pile of Brembo money if they're feeling particularly cut up about it :lol: After all they had to want to sell in the first place.

I've noticed the curiously romantic view alot. SBS and Brembo both exist to make money, ultimately that's what they're for. There's not really any pluckyness or cynicism involved.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

The purchase price was rather less than I anticipated, around €30 million. And as the company was valued at €40 million, that would look to be a bit of a bargain. So perhaps SBS did have cash problems.

The transaction entails a consideration of 224 million Danish Kroner, equal to approximately €30 million, which will be paid using available cash, and is subject to the customary adjustment mechanisms as for similar transactions. Enterprise Value is 300 million Danish Kroner, equal to about €40.3 million. The agreement is expected to be finalised in the first quarter of 2021.​

It will be interesting to see whether Brembo continue on the acquisition traii. They seem to have spare cash to splash.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Car sales tax in Denmark was something daft 180% last time I looked (my wife is half Danish). Maybe the owner just wanted a new car.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:34 pm Car sales tax in Denmark was something daft 180% last time I looked (my wife is half Danish). Maybe the owner just wanted a new car.
Which is why it was one of the cheapest places to buy parallel imports from for a while in the '90s.