Ducati's MotoE electric prototype already on track

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/99484 ... eady-track
Ducati CEO Claudio Domenicali reveals the factory's electric MotoE prototype has already been tested on the race track.

Ducati CEO Claudio Domenicali has revealed that a prototype of the factory's 2023 MotoE racer has already made its track debut.

GPOne.com reports that, during a meeting with Italian media, Domenicali revealed that Ducati's MotoGP test rider Michele Pirro was riding the bike at Misano.

MotoGP
Peter McLaren19 Dec 2021

Claudio Domenicali, Emilia-Romagna MotoGP, 21 October 2021
Ducati CEO Claudio Domenicali reveals the factory's electric MotoE prototype has already been tested on the race track.

Ducati CEO Claudio Domenicali has revealed that a prototype of the factory's 2023 MotoE racer has already made its track debut.

GPOne.com reports that, during a meeting with Italian media, Domenicali revealed that Ducati's MotoGP test rider Michele Pirro was riding the bike at Misano.

An official unveiling of the electric machine could be made in the coming days.

The surprise news that Ducati would take over from Energica as the single MotoE supplier was made in late October, with Domenicali explaining:

"At Ducati, our core values are style, sophistication and performance so we decided to enter electrical mobility from the top and there is no better way than competition to test and learn.

"We want our engineers to become as good as they are at developing internal combustion engines and I think everyone can say our engine in MotoGP is one of the fastest, if not the fastest.

"For motorcycles the main problem [with electric] is the weight, and so we have a program in order to make the motorcycle as light as possible. I think that was one of the winning [parts] of our bid for Dorna."

Domenicali then told the Italian media that, "A separate racing department was created. A special working group. And in a few months a prototype was created.

"It is an envied group because it practically has carte blanche [to do what it wants with the design]."

MotoGP manufacturers have agreed to phase out fossil fuel in the premier class from 2024-2027 by switching to sustainable fuel (in conventional engines).

By also entering MotoE, Ducati is confident it can future proof its company by gaining expert knowledge of both electric and eFuel/biofuel technology.

The MotoE World Cup was formed in 2019, with Energica signing up to supply machinery for the opening four seasons.
How long then until MotoGP becomes electric realistically? above article specifies 2024-2027, but will we really see a complete switch to electric MotoGP by then ? If so, will that affect your thoughts on it ? Will you still watch it without the roar and noise ?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Ducati's MotoE electric prototype already on track

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

TBH I don't really care whether the bikes are electric, petrol or something else, they're not really related to road bikes any more, so it's now just about the show rather than developing better bikes.

Given the choice I'd have them all on Supermoto bikes racing on a mixed surface track.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:11 am Given the choice I'd have them all on Supermoto bikes racing on a mixed surface track.
I used to love watching Supermoto. Seeing VdB and the 2 brothers who's names escape me now... but even the British level, it's just fine fine entertainment.

All it would take is 1 of the lads to get one and book a few trackdays on Kart tracks and i'd be an easy sell.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:24 am Will you still watch it without the roar and noise ?
Nope.
I've tried watching Formula - E, and I spent an hour watching Extreme - E https://www.extreme-e.com/en/teams/X44 yesterday, they're both soulless, I felt I'd get as much entertainment sitting in front of a row of washing machines @ Curry's

Oh I get it, it's the future and there'll be no stopping it, but it ain't for me
Le_Fromage_Grande

weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:18 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:11 am Given the choice I'd have them all on Supermoto bikes racing on a mixed surface track.
I used to love watching Supermoto. Seeing VdB and the 2 brothers who's names escape me now... but even the British level, it's just fine fine entertainment.

All it would take is 1 of the lads to get one and book a few trackdays on Kart tracks and i'd be an easy sell.
Stefan and Boris Chambon
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:02 am
weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:18 am

Stefan and Boris Chambon
Nah, not those 2... after them... one was world champ in S1 and the other world champs in S2.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I'm still hoping hydrogen powered bikes will be a thing and the glorious sounds will continue unmuted by the green fanatics.

I've watched a bit of Moto-E and while the racing has been entertaining to a degree,it's lacking the necessary soundtrack.

If battery bikes is all we are going to get,I'll probably watch it purely for the racing,but unless something fundamental changes,it'll be diminished without the wail of an infernal combustion engine.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Adrien CHAREYRE
Thomas CHAREYRE
Le_Fromage_Grande

weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:17 am Adrien CHAREYRE
Thomas CHAREYRE
Adrien on the Husqvarna and Thomas on the TM, Thomas always looked faster but fell off a lot.
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »