MSV ACU Licence courses.

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
singlesman

MSV ACU Licence courses.

Post by singlesman »

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of these race licence courses?
My youngest son, (20) is keen to have a go on track but doesn’t have a bike licence, he did his cbt, ( now expired) at 17 and has been racing motocross fairly competitively for four years but has no road bike experience at all.
Just trying to gauge if it’s worth trying to get into track days this way or if we’d be wasting our money trying.
Any guidance much appreciated, cheers, Paul.
KungFooBob

Re: MSV ACU Licence courses.

Post by KungFooBob »

They're pretty simple.

There's a class room test with multiple choice questions at the end about what flag means what and fire extinguisher requirements..

The on track section includes how to form up on the grid and a practise start, they usually do a few laps to check you can actually control a bike, but it's not a trackday.

The only advantage for your lad is that if he gets an ACU license, most track day organisers accept them instead or road licenses and he'll be able to do ACU practice days at Mallory.
singlesman

Post by singlesman »

Thanks KungFooBob, that sounds promising. Will hopefully save a lot of the time and expense involved in getting a full bike licence, which I don’t think he can get until he’s 24 anyway?
Will get in touch with MSV and check availability.
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Yeah it does look like you need an unrestricted licence, which as you say means min age 24.

https://www.msvtrackdays.com/bike/faq/

The race licence route is probably the best one, you can use your trackday bike to do the practical part of the course. It's a good idea anyway as it will familiarise your lad with track etiquette. Due to current virus restrictions there may not be many courses running but keep your eyes peeled and something will be along sooner or later. The courses are run by the racing clubs themselves, Bemsee being arguably the biggest, but other clubs will cover different parts of the country.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

singlesman wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:50 pm Thanks KungFooBob, that sounds promising. Will hopefully save a lot of the time and expense involved in getting a full bike licence, which I don’t think he can get until he’s 24 anyway?
You can't buy a big bike until you're 24 ?
singlesman

Post by singlesman »

Think power is restricted until you have a full licence, did look into it a while back and can’t remember now but pretty sure your A2 licence is only good for 43hp. He could ride a restricted 600 but it seems fairly pointless and the acu licence route seems to make more sense.
Also, I’m a complete hypocrite and really want to keep him away from a bike on the road as long as possible, would far rather keep him racing Mx, doing track days or short circuit racing because although it was a very long time ago I can still just about remember how we used ride on the road as 20 year olds. :shock: It’s awfully busy out there now.