Concept 2

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
MrLongbeard

Concept 2

Post by MrLongbeard »

Glad I bought it instead of renting / leasing all those years ago, usage is going up and aside from updating to a PM5 it's not cost me a penny.
Will be interesting to see what my total for this years season is in April next year.

So thanks to the boss (weeksy) for brining them up over at the other place back in the day 8-)
desk.jpg
desk.jpg (321.05 KiB) Viewed 195 times
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Concept 2

Post by weeksy »

i'd love the space and money for one
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

I'd love more space to have it set up full time, but it don't take a minute I suppose.
They are going for silly money now on the ebay, IIRC I only paid £350 for this one
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I've just been cleared by the cardiologist to get back on mine. I haven't used it since May - it's too hot in the summer and I use the boat for any rowing. 😀

I've had an irregular heartbeat for a couple of years (OK, about 4) and it's been getting worse and the rower really kicked it off (so did trekking in Nepal but hey ho) so I didn't get back on the rower in September like I'd normally do. I thought I'd get it checked out and the doc said its atrial fibrillation, I'm at a greater risk of a stroke and has put me on some meds including warfarin. He's got the doses sorted now and said I can get back rowing "But don't be stupid!"

Cardio workouts then 😀 starting in January as I'm going away for Xmas and New Year. If I put some effort in during 2022, I'll chalk up 7 million meters on the beast. It's never missed a beat (it's a Model D with PM4).
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

I've just started using my son's Concept 2 bike, as an alternative to walking which I have been doing since my heart procedure last year.

I think a rower would be a bridge too far for me - I am happy with the bike and linking it to a Polar chest band means I can keep an eye on heart rate in addition to the comprehensive data provided by the PM5.

My cardiologist signed me off in September and I now liaise with my GP if there are any issues, not that there have been. I know the situation and it was made clear to me that, as long as I continue with an exercise regime and a healthy diet I'm good.....well, other than the fact that my heart is 25-30% less efficient than a normal heart :) .

I've been off the Warfarin since March and a couple of others since September but will be on aspirin, a statin and two heart meds for the rest of my natural I'm told.

Come the New Year I'll start to use some exercise bands I've bought to add some variety :thumbup: .

Kev
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

2xtwins wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:25 pm I've just started using my son's Concept 2 bike, as an alternative to walking which I have been doing since my heart procedure last year.

Kev
What procedure did you have Kev?

I had a heart attack in 2006 and a triple bypass in 2007. I've been on aspirin and meds to control my blood pressure (always going to be high I'm told) ever since the op but it hasn't held me back. I did a marathon on the rower in 2012, climbed a few mountains and been trekking in Nepal twice, Annapurna circuit in 2018 and Everest base camp and Gokyo in 2019. Both treks and one mountain taking us over 5000 metres alt. The C2 has been my primary fitness equipment since 2011 - I had a cheap rower before that and for me it's the best bit of home equipment you can get.

Something's not right with the ticker now though so the heavy stuff is out for now, no more time trials and no more mountains. I'm 71 in January so taking things a bit easier is probably the best thing.
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

Yambo wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:29 pm
What procedure did you have Kev?
Nothing as involved as you.

Just the one stent, although the initial prognosis was that they couldn't even do that. Long and short was that my LAD was blocked and that part of the heart had died and they didn't think they could get a stent in. Then the cardiologist came back 24 hours later and literally said that she couldn't damage the heart any more than it already was so would give it a go. She was amazing - it took a bit longer than expected but we got there in the end.

Left ventricle also had a blood clot which was why I was on Warfarin for longer than planned. All good now and BP and all numbers are good.

It's really good to hear how active you've been -gives me food for thought, certainly. Thanks.

I'm 62 in a couple of months but don't plan on slowing down just yet. I have nine grandchildren and love looking after them / spending time with them and feel like I've been given a second chance.

Kev
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

@weeksy you wanted a thread.......

Looks like my season totals have gone through the roof since the first post
row.jpg
row.jpg (319.59 KiB) Viewed 66 times
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Which model are you running? How's the reliability?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Model D bought cheap from ebay
The supplied PM3 crapped out on it so was replaced with a PM5, aside from that it's been faultless, a bit of 3 in 1 oil on the chain every once in a while and wipe down the seat runner with Mr. Sheen is all the maintenance I've done
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I used to use one daily in the gym, missed it when I stopped work so bought a cheap one from eBay. It needed a bit of TLC and was nowhere as smooth as the stuff I was used to, I sold it along with everything else when I sold up in the UK. This has got me thinking if I'd go back to using one again, it's been a few years. €1200 for a new one.