Ninja Foodi/Air fryers/Rice makers

Anything from pizza to pasta, from steak to cake.
Mussels

Re: Ninja Foodi/Air fryers/Rice makers

Post by Mussels »

My problem with anything that plugs into the mains is low wattage, ok if you aren't cooking much but not much good for a bigger quantity.
I can heat things much faster on an electric hob.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Well yeah...

My air frier (tiny oven!) is 1.5kW and, I dunno....about big enough to fit 3 bean cans in. The "proper" oven is 7kW and big enough to fit a few dozen bean cans I'd guess. Bean cans being a standard unit of volume.

So in terms of "bean cans per kW" (SI unit again) the proper oven knocks the tiny oven into a cocked hat. But most of the time the proper oven is 3 bean cans full a 33 bean cans empty, so the tiny oven makes more sense.

BTW I bet you can get a BFO commercial fan oven which cooks as well as an air frier, but on a big oven scale. And it probably only costs £20k or something.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

When shopping for a new cooker I was hoping to find one that had air fryer performance on a bigger scale but there was nothing ike that. :(
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Just seen this thread......2 weeks ago my missus bought one of the Ninja 2 drawer Airfrier things and since then our normal fan oven hasnt been turned on.

Full roast dinner yesterday done in it as well and i will admit the Brownies she made last week are her best ever :mrgreen:

Just the 2 of us so the capacity is enough and the running costs are less than the normal fan oven
Ant

Post by Ant »

Did bacon in ours this morning.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Using our air fryer to do par baked baguettes in the morning. They do need turning about 2 mins before the end to be evenly cooked though.
Means unlike having to have the Aga companion oven on for 20mins before it's up to temp and then 7mins to cook the bread, it's 7 mins from start to finish and uses MUCH less elec than the big oven.
Will be using the actual 'Aga' (well, Esse) range during the winter when the extra heat is needed and, compared to each kWh produced by normal elec is about 1/4 the price*

* if kerosene and elec stay roughly the same price as now.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Bigyin wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:23 pm Just seen this thread......2 weeks ago my missus bought one of the Ninja 2 drawer Airfrier things and since then our normal fan oven hasnt been turned on.

Full roast dinner yesterday done in it as well and i will admit the Brownies she made last week are her best ever :mrgreen:

Just the 2 of us so the capacity is enough and the running costs are less than the normal fan oven
I know people who cant give them away. I like them but cant see what they do that the Foodi cant apart from cooking times when doing two different items but we can adapt :lol: Foodi cooks a roast to perfection. Keeps the juices in the meat and you can eat the fatty bits. Roast Chicken has never tasted so good nor been so succulent. Look into the silicon liners for the drawers as when they start to look burnt its hard to get them looking clan again.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I toasted some homemade wholewheat soda bread in mine this morning :) I got rid of the toaster once I realised that the Vortex thingy could do toast :D - probably would have a toaster if I had more space, just cos the Vortex is bastard noisy. But it's ded handy in such a tiny apartment to have something that does so many different things :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I'm obsessed with dippy eggs in mine after i think Panda mentioned it on here.

Good cheap snack and super easy, hardest part is getting the eggs out and into the egg cups...:)

I have done a few lasagne's in their too which have come out really nice. I rarely use the over now, the only time i do is when i have too much to fit in the air fryer...

I just have one of these cheap ones, got it for my bday off the familam.

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/salte ... 27010.html
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Greenman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:07 pm I'm obsessed with dippy eggs in mine after i think Panda mentioned it on here.

Good cheap snack and super easy, hardest part is getting the eggs out and into the egg cups...:)

I have done a few lasagne's in their too which have come out really nice. I rarely use the over now, the only time i do is when i have too much to fit in the air fryer...

Are these eggs in the shell? (I seem to remember Dazzle doing 'boiled' eggs in the air fryer) or are they coddled eggs? If coddled they normally do 'em in buttered ramekins so they do come out/don't stick).
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:26 pm
Greenman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:07 pm I'm obsessed with dippy eggs in mine after i think Panda mentioned it on here.

Are these eggs in the shell? (I seem to remember Dazzle doing 'boiled' eggs in the air fryer) or are they coddled eggs? If coddled they normally do 'em in buttered ramekins so they do come out/don't stick).
I literally just whack the eggs on top the plate in the air fryer straight from the egg box and turn it to 120 for 9 mins. 2 eggs at a time. Spot on dippy eggs each time.

I done them for 11 mins originally but they come out a bit hard.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Greenman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:33 pm
I literally just whack the eggs on top the plate in the air fryer straight from the egg box and turn it to 120 for 9 mins. 2 eggs at a time. Spot on dippy eggs each time.

Cheers. (I misread your post first time, for some reason I read it as the eggs are difficult to get out of the egg cups. :D I bought some tongs with silicone grippers for getting stuff out of mine - better than the metal ones I had as they won't scratch the non-stick. They'd be ideal for eggs).

Are these large eggs and at room temp when they go in? Might have a go at this. :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've done this in mine too. Bloody aces. Until I'm cooking something else breakfasty in there, then I just fry the egg :1 :1 :1
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:53 pm
Greenman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:33 pm

Cheers. (I misread your post first time, for some reason I read it as the eggs are difficult to get out of the egg cups. :D I bought some tongs with silicone grippers for getting stuff out of mine - better than the metal ones I had as they won't scratch the non-stick. They'd be ideal for eggs).

Are these large eggs and at room temp when they go in? Might have a go at this. :thumbup:
Large eggs from the fridge.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Mine has a cooking tray which spits into two parts. I put these both in the dishwasher. This takes up quite a lot of dishwasher space, more than an oven tray.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

the wife is after an air frier, but I am clueless on them, where do I start???
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

formula400 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:58 pm the wife is after an air frier, but I am clueless on them, where do I start???
Good question. I'd say with an idea of what you plan to cook in it and for how many. (I know, it might sound daft but it looks like most are bought, just because, then people start working out what to do with them). That'll tell you what size you need +1 drawer/2 drawer. Look at the available space, some are pretty hulking and can't be used under cupboards.

(I'm glad I went multi-cooker - Ninja Speedi - because it spends more time steaming and on steam/bake than on air frying or grilling - I started with baked spuds as the main aim, to save using the big oven to cook 2 spuds at 200°/70mins - steam/bake works well and is a bit faster :thumbup: ).
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

formula400 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:58 pm the wife is after an air frier, but I am clueless on them, where do I start???
Start with asking why she wants one and what she expects it to do?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

The multi version ones seem goo, but I have an Instant Pot Vortex (well, actually the mini!) and it does just do the air frying/baking bit. But it does it well

I've also got the instant pot pressure cooker for the other stuff :D :D I've got the larger one - 6ltr I think - that a friend bought me but that's in the garage as I mostly use the 3ltr mini version. The bigger one is too big for one person :D
formula400

Post by formula400 »

She’s seen them about and thought they would be good.
Guess I’ll ask her what she wants from it 😂😂😂
CBR650r :mrgreen: