Ninja Foodi/Air fryers/Rice makers

Anything from pizza to pasta, from steak to cake.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Ninja Foodi/Air fryers/Rice makers

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:07 pm We have a Ninja Foodi. Air fryer, slow cooker, pressure cooker, the works. Bloody good. Even makes yogurt, apparently. I tried and ended up with four pints of sour milk.

Admittedly I didn't actually read the instructions on what to actually do.
Guy I work with uses his new Ninja to cook massive batches of chickpeas or kidney beans, which then go into other things.

My question to him was "you know you can buy those in tins right?"
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:32 pm Guy I work with uses his new Ninja to cook massive batches of chickpeas or kidney beans, which then go into other things.

My question to him was "you know you can buy those in tins right?"
In 1gal cans & 5gal buckets...
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Knocked up a carrot cake today.
Not quite ready for GBBO yet, but it was really quite nice. Mascarpone used for the fondant.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

A baked cheese cake, bloody gorgeous!
Then failed badly with a gruyere gratin. Tasted ok, visually a disaster.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yamaha rocket 3
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Whole roast chicken cooked in 30 minutes and beautiful and succulent. Wife even does yorkshire puddings in there and they come out excellent too! Air fryers are fab and make no mistake. :thumbup:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I was browsing these yesterday having done baked spuds in the oven. 86p for spuds and 70 minutes in a 200°C fan oven - which probably cost more than the spuds. So, recommendations? The Ninja Foodi looks OK but probably a bit OTT for my needs I suspect.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

On the basis of recommending what you have, the Ninja Foodi 10-in-1 Multifunction Oven DT200UK. It’s bigger than most / all air fryers but we use it daily instead of either of the other* ovens we have.

It does everything a normal oven does but takes next to no time to heat up, add in air frying, it has soon be come the go to appliance when cooking for the two of us and potentially more.

* oven in the range cooker barely gets used unless integrated oven is full (more than 6-8 dining), that oven now only gets used when the Ninja can’t cope (4+ dining).

I’m currently eyeing up the Ninja Woodfire grill as it’s been getting some good reviews but haven’t currently got a need or space for it (amongst the Weber gas grill, kettle BBQ, Ooni pizza oven, mini home built Tandoor oven etc :D )
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Silly Car wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:05 pm On the basis of recommending what you have, the Ninja Foodi 10-in-1 Multifunction Oven DT200UK. It’s bigger than most / all air fryers but we use it daily instead of either of the other* ovens we have.

It does everything a normal oven does but takes next to no time to heat up, add in air frying, it has soon be come the go to appliance when cooking for the two of us and potentially more.

* oven in the range cooker barely gets used unless integrated oven is full (more than 6-8 dining), that oven now only gets used when the Ninja can’t cope (4+ dining).

I’m currently eyeing up the Ninja Woodfire grill as it’s been getting some good reviews but haven’t currently got a need or space for it (amongst the Weber gas grill, kettle BBQ, Ooni pizza oven, mini home built Tandoor oven etc :D )
I spotted that (I was looking at the Lakeland web site). Probably more than we need tbh. I do use the convection oven on the Panasonic microwave combi quite a lot (as long as it's not something that's going to make a mess).

I did wonder if air fryers were another of these things that save you time on cooking, which you then spend+ on cleaning them (Particularly having seen Pietin's post about roast chick'n).
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:13 pm
Silly Car wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:05 pm On the basis of recommending what you have, the Ninja Foodi 10-in-1 Multifunction Oven DT200UK. It’s bigger than most / all air fryers but we use it daily instead of either of the other* ovens we have.

I spotted that (I was looking at the Lakeland web site). Probably more than we need tbh. I do use the convection oven on the Panasonic microwave combi quite a lot (as long as it's not something that's going to make a mess).

I did wonder if air fryers were another of these things that save you time on cooking, which you then spend+ on cleaning them (Particularly having seen Pietin's post about roast chick'n).
I’m not going to lie, we’ve stopped cooking chickens in our air fryer oven because of the mess made inside it and it is a right tw@t to clean (much like convection microwave ovens - been there, done that, current microwave is a bog standard ‘ding and go’ type that cost next to nowt in a supermarket)

I’m guessing some of the stand alone air fryers allow parts to be bunged in the dishwasher to ease cleaning :dunno:

Even with the cleaning issues, I still would be without it.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Ours is basic and small, so no whole chickabiddy in it.

It has, effectively, a saucepan & fitted collander.

Pics 6 & 7

Any grease etc will drip into the pan. Wipe that out, bung both in hot soapy, brush, rinse, draining board.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:33 pm
Ours is basic and small, so no whole chickabiddy in it.

It has, effectively, a saucepan & fitted collander.

Pics 6 & 7

Any grease etc will drip into the pan. Wipe that out, bung both in hot soapy, brush, rinse, draining board.
I looked at that as a possible. Q? Can you get 2 decent sized spuds in for baking?

It's the old question. Do I go small/budget and then find I should have got a more all singing and dancing one or go large and find it's completely over spec for our needs. :D I am drawn to the two compartment ones though as I can see that doing two things at different temps/times could be :thumbup: (Or just using 1 compartment as needed).
Horse

Post by Horse »

As everything, it's a compromise.

We already have a microwave (with grill - never used) and a slow cooker.

I'll measure it later. Claimed to do 500g of chips.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:03 am I was browsing these yesterday having done baked spuds in the oven. 86p for spuds and 70 minutes in a 200°C fan oven - which probably cost more than the spuds. So, recommendations? The Ninja Foodi looks OK but probably a bit OTT for my needs I suspect.
Maybe look at the InstantPot Vortex air fryer.

I think they've brought out a new two drawer one now. I bought the original just because I really objected to putting the oven on to heat up spring rolls!! :lol: Once bought I realised that it was way more than I needed in space (and so encouraged me to cook more than I needed to!) but also too big for my mini apartment. So I bought the Vortex mini which is perfect for one person and left space on the counter for me to keep the mini pressure cooker out all the time too

I have made shortbread in mine! small cakes are possible. Definitely jacket spuds :D I use it for cooking bacon but have resigned myself to cleaning it after every bacon cook cos otherwise it just gets yucky. I also reheat various bits of Chinese takeaway in it - first cook in a pan of oil, cool, freeze then reheat in the airfryer when I want it!

I have been told often that 'air' fryers are a gimmick cos they don't fry. I don't really care how they cook - they do, and that's the important bit!

It's not the cheapest, but this version has survived being leant to a couple of seasonaires - they actually want to buy it off me cos they love it too!! :lol:

Don't be fooled by the 4 in 1 thing. It's things like -

bake (same as airfry but you don't have a bipper to tell you to turn the thing in the tray over)
Roast - similar
Reheat - never used it!! LOL

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:03 am I was browsing these yesterday having done baked spuds in the oven. 86p for spuds and 70 minutes in a 200°C fan oven - which probably cost more than the spuds. So, recommendations? The Ninja Foodi looks OK but probably a bit OTT for my needs I suspect.

We bought a Devology Digital Air Fryer - 6.5L XL off of Amazon and its now just under £70. My wife was not keen on another kitchen appliance, but she does so much in it now, as do I. Its valued enough that if it breaks, another will be ordered the same day.

https://tinyurl.com/xd2afsb6
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

I got my Dad the cheapest, smallest Air Fryer that Argos offered a while back so that we could re-heat crosissants / cook frozen ones.

However today, on a whim I did a quick internet search and after 8 minutes in the microwave, some olive oil & seasoning then 8 minutes in the tiny air fryer, we had a perfect baked potato.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ChrisW wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:21 pm I got my Dad the cheapest, smallest Air Fryer that Argos offered a while back so that we could re-heat crosissants / cook frozen ones.

However today, on a whim I did a quick internet search and after 8 minutes in the microwave, some olive oil & seasoning then 8 minutes in the tiny air fryer, we had a perfect baked potato.
Coolio! The pre-microwave trick sounds like a winner. Tried microwaving 'baked' spuds years ago and they came out like big boiled spuds really so finishing them off in the air fryer sounds like a good combo. :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

ChrisW wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:21 pm I got my Dad the cheapest, smallest Air Fryer that Argos offered a while back so that we could re-heat crosissants / cook frozen ones.

I do baked potatoes in the pressure cooker then air fryer. But only cos me and microwaves have never really got on!! LOL

A friend recently posted that he'd done day old croissants in the airfryer (low temp I think and about 7 minutes IIRC ) and they were as good as fresh. I suspect he probably sprinkled them with water too. (We do that with day old baguette - dampen them and then bake in oven or, if smaller pieces, in airfryer!!)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Overcooked, cheap nasty sausages.

I loves a cheap sausage, supermarket budget ones are the bestest.

My actifry does them perfectly, but they have to be frozen. If you put chilled ones in the paddle just mashes them before the skin thickens.

Hmmmm, sausage.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I've got bored with electric gadgets that are just awkward small ovens. I'm getting to grips with a stove top pressure cooker, big saucepan goes in the dishwasher and lid is rinsed under the tap.
Beef stew yesterday, spag bol today, both quick 1 pot meals.