Ninja Foodi/Air fryers/Rice makers

Anything from pizza to pasta, from steak to cake.
Noggin

Re: Ninja Foodi/Air fryers/Rice makers

Post by Noggin »

Lots of peeps want the multi cooker option. In that case the (probably) big ninja jobbies

If she just wants a quick and easy mini oven that uses less grease and (probably) less power, then a square air fryer. Unless she wants one with a turny thing in it so she doesn’t have to move the chips herself.

But then it has to be a removable turny thing or cooking things that can’t be turned (spring rolls, pastys, cakes etc) can’t be put in there

:1 :1 :1

:D :D :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

formula400 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:58 pm the wife is after an air frier, but I am clueless on them, where do I start???
I got one of the ones below to try them out and its been very successful. I bought one for my step dad and he is "cooking miracles" in it now.

They are much of a much really and you dont need to spend fortunes on them. My mate has a twin cooking dept Ninja but just got one like mine for bigger stuff. He now uses that one more than the Ninja. So think if a bigger oven would suit you more than 2 smaller ones?

https://tinyurl.com/jjuaez9d
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

A pack of Lidl chicken wings, rubbed with olive oil then tipped some A&O Big Phat Greek seasoning on them and into the air fryer for 20 minutes, turning them half way. Heaven! :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I'm currently baking soda bread in mine! Kind of needed as the oven didn't work! But also, good to know if it does work as it will still be cheaper to run than the oven, and I do make a lot of it!

Currently if I make soda bread I have to plan a whole load of baking to justify turning on the oven. So, if this works, then it will be awesome :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:00 pm I'm currently baking soda bread in mine! Kind of needed as the oven didn't work! But also, good to know if it does work as it will still be cheaper to run than the oven, and I do make a lot of it!

Currently if I make soda bread I have to plan a whole load of baking to justify turning on the oven. So, if this works, then it will be awesome :D :D
Soda bread! You live in France...they'll throw you out! :lol:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:03 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:00 pm I'm currently baking soda bread in mine! Kind of needed as the oven didn't work! But also, good to know if it does work as it will still be cheaper to run than the oven, and I do make a lot of it!

LOL I don't tell the French!! LOL

I can't eat a whole baguette in a day so it seems daft to buy them as I throw more away than I eat!!

And, I got given about 10 x 1.5kg bags of wholemeal flour last winter, so I am trying to bake bread and pitta to use that up! Just need to keep buying milk and I can make soda bread for months :D :D :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:06 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:03 pm

LOL I don't tell the French!! LOL

I can't eat a whole baguette in a day so it seems daft to buy them as I throw more away than I eat!!

And, I got given about 10 x 1.5kg bags of wholemeal flour last winter, so I am trying to bake bread and pitta to use that up! Just need to keep buying milk and I can make soda bread for months :D :D :D
Baguettes go stale between the bakers and home. :D (There was a funny article on that in the English language newspaper/magazine in Brussels). So, they serve it up as 'toast' for breakfast.

I gave up on 'fast' bread when I read up on the gluten thing...the Irish like soda bread and have more coeliac disease. (Proper coeliac disease rather than 'gluten intolerance'). I'll have a bacon sarnie on 'duck food' bread though....in for a penny... :lol:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:20 pm Baguettes go stale between the bakers and home. :D (There was a funny article on that in the English language newspaper/magazine in Brussels). So, they serve it up as 'toast' for breakfast.

I gave up on 'fast' bread when I read up on the gluten thing...the Irish like soda bread and have more coeliac disease. (Proper coeliac disease rather than 'gluten intolerance'). I'll have a bacon sarnie on 'duck food' bread though....in for a penny... :lol:
They are only good very early in the day! I do sometimes wrap them in a cloth and reuse the next day - but for that you have to pout a bit of water over the outside and then rebake - after that, they are only good whilst warm!! LOL

I wonder why the Irish have more coeliacs? It's weird cos the bread is so very simple with no additives (much like the french bread, but different!!) - but, I like it and hopefully I don't eat enough to cause any issues !!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Well it seems to be a success, but it took ages! I only have the mini oven so I think this mix was too big. (I did have to cut the top off as it was too high for the drawer!)

It was supposed to be 30 mins at 180 and I did 1 hour at 130 - mostly because of it had been 180 it would have burnt to death at the top!!

So next time, half size loaf and probably it will take the right amount of time. So probably not worth it :(

But, the corner I nicked tastes lush :) :)

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:31 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:20 pm Baguettes go stale between the bakers and home. :D (There was a funny article on that in the English language newspaper/magazine in Brussels). So, they serve it up as 'toast' for breakfast.

They are only good very early in the day! I do sometimes wrap them in a cloth and reuse the next day - but for that you have to pout a bit of water over the outside and then rebake - after that, they are only good whilst warm!! LOL

I wonder why the Irish have more coeliacs? It's weird cos the bread is so very simple with no additives (much like the french bread, but different!!) - but, I like it and hopefully I don't eat enough to cause any issues !!
It's because the glutens in 'fast bread' don't have time to 'develop' like yeast doughs which take time so you get the glutens cross-linking sort of thing - which is why the dough turns stretchy. Apparently us humans aren't too good at dealing with 'raw' wheat flour.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:05 pm
It's because the glutens in 'fast bread' don't have time to 'develop' like yeast doughs which take time so you get the glutens cross-linking sort of thing - which is why the dough turns stretchy. Apparently us humans aren't too good at dealing with 'raw' wheat flour.
Ah ok, that makes sense! Took me too long to work out 'fast' bread!! LOL

Practicing making 'proper' bread is something I do want to do, but my place is rarely warm enough for proving and I'm rarely organised enough to actually do it!!

Luckily, I don't often eat much bread :D :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:19 pm

Practicing making 'proper' bread is something I do want to do, but my place is rarely warm enough for proving and I'm rarely organised enough to actually do it!!

Most 'white sliced' ie bread made with the Chorley Wood process is 'fast'.

You don't need it to be warm to prove dough. Lots of French bakers do it overnight in a chiller, it just takes longer. Too cold will kill the yeast but there's an East European bread where they chuck the dough in the outside water butt...as long as it's not frozen...although they've been known to break the ice to chuck it in...when the CO2 in the bread is sufficient, the dough floats and it's ready to bake.

So, make the dough and just wait. When it's doubled in size, which it will...bake! :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:29 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:19 pm

Most 'white sliced' ie bread made with the Chorley Wood process is 'fast'.

You don't need it to be warm to prove dough. Lots of French bakers do it overnight in a chiller, it just takes longer. Too cold will kill the yeast but there's an East European bread where they chuck the dough in the outside water butt...as long as it's not frozen...although they've been known to break the ice to chuck it in...when the CO2 in the bread is sufficient, the dough floats and it's ready to bake.

So, make the dough and just wait. When it's doubled in size, which it will...bake! :D
I've done chelsea buns proving overnight. I just have a serious lack of space!! Might just try leaving in out cos it's not that cold up here at night now, so if it doesn't do it during the day, it can have the night to do it :D :D A nice wholemeal 'proper' loaf would be awesome (maybe I'll do rolls in the airfryer as they'll cook better than a loaf!! LOL)
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Actually, thinking about it, obvs, you can freeze dough and it doesn't kill the yeast, it just goes dormant. (I've merrily frozen chunks of sourdough dough or 'levain' as the French would call it. Don't do it any more....M&S make it far better than I ever did. :lol: )
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:45 pm Actually, thinking about it, obvs, you can freeze dough and it doesn't kill the yeast, it just goes dormant. (I've merrily frozen chunks of sourdough dough or 'levain' as the French would call it. Don't do it any more....M&S make it far better than I ever did. :lol: )
My friend freezes her cinnamon rolls after the first prove. Second prove after the defrost and then bake - they are freaking awesome :D
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Looking at Airfryers...

Are they any good, what features are Important, best brand, do they save you any money.???
Yamaha rocket 3
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Dodgy69 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:55 pm Looking at Airfryers...

Are they any good, what features are Important, best brand, do they save you any money.???
I bought a Ninja Speedi multi-cooker and I haven't used the 'air fry' function once. I use the steamer function and the bake function. Basically they're little ovens with fans in. I have a Panasonic microwave/oven combie thing and that's been a good investment but tbh these air fryer things are....little ovens.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Dodgy69 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:55 pm Looking at Airfryers...

I love mine because I used to get really fed up having to wait for the full sized oven to heat up to cook one portion of something!! Mine's a mini version by Instant Pot - think it's called a Vortex.

It very simple. There are more complicated versions. In the larger one in the same make you could bake a cake! I've successfully done shortbread and LOADS of other stuff - breakfasts, the egg is all I use the pan for! I barch deep fry spring rolls n other stuff for the freezer then reheat in the air fryer in one person size portions!

I am led to believe they are cheaper to run, partly because they heat up quicker, cook for slightly less time etc. I haven't tested this theory but cooking for one in a full sized oven is definitely more expensive than using the airfryer!

Oh, for it's size, mine's a noisy bastard - but the bigger one was even worse!! :lol: :lol:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I definitely want the dual double draw one.
Yamaha rocket 3
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Dodgy69 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:09 pm I definitely want the dual double draw one.
If cooking meals, it does seem the one to beat. I use a pressure cooking, hot plate and air fryer and very very occasionally a microwave. But rarely more than two for any meal :D