Has it Been a Good Biking Year for You?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Skub

Has it Been a Good Biking Year for You?

Post by Skub »

There's not many more pleasant riding days left now for me,the manky Autumn wet weather has arrived here and looks set to get no better.

It's been a good Spring and Summer for me and I managed not far off 10k since last August,every mile purely for pleasure,no commuting or chores were harmed in the process. I'm still on a short leash,so the maximum of 4 hour trips were at times lifesavers. I look forward to times when I can just ride for a day without having to meet obligations of any kind.

Bike cleaned properly,helmet cleaned,just my fly-sodden jacket to launder and I'm ready for the Spring,or any dry opportunity with no salty roads before that.

I have the bike more or less the way I want it now,so I don't know of anything else I need. Maybe the odd titanium bolt here and there is about it.

How about you folks,was it a good biking Summer,and do you have Winter improvement plans?

Happiness is a clean helmet. :silent:

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Has it Been a Good Biking Year for You?

Post by weeksy »

In terms of motorbikes, not bad, not amazing.

However a lot of that is both my fault and life's other stuff getting in the way. Whilst I have a bike I love, motorbikes are very much 2nd best to MTB and I basically end up only taking the XSR for a run to the supermarket or out locally.

In honesty, I could fairly easily sell it and I don't think it'd be a massive loss to me.
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

Couple of changes in the garage.
Roughly 15k ridden.
Loads of off road including competitive riding.
GS Challenge at the weekend went well considering 13wks post surgery and a new 8” scar. Placed far higher than I thought as surgeon said “no contact sports”…..
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

PitaNaanRoti wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:41 pm Couple of changes in the garage.
Roughly 15k ridden.
Loads of off road including competitive riding.
GS Challenge at the weekend went well considering 13wks post surgery and a new 8” scar. Placed far higher than I thought as surgeon said “no contact sports”…..
And somehow we've heard none of any of this?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

The complete opposite really! :D Due to bloody arthritis I've had to give up bikes! Mind you, I love a scoot and am kinda enjoying being reunited with a Tmax again! Every cloud and all that...
Last edited by Taipan on Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taff

Post by Taff »

I've gone from doing 250 commuting miles a week to having done 300 miles in 2021.

My pedal bikes have done significantly more
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Tbh, not that great.

Not a lot of riding, (but some was good)
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

My biking these days is lived through you guys and giving other the benefit of my broad knowledge.

So the more fun you have, the more enjoyment I have. The problems you have, the more I can stick my oar in.

:D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I do more miles on the Husky than the GSXR. Bit I'm not selling it anytime soon.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Some good some not so good, really enjoyed riding on the road this year, I'm not sure why, haven't enjoyed track days much this year as most have been wet, all have had a lot of people falling off, causing lost sessions.

Projects have been a bit on and off, mostly due to hurting my left elbow mountain biking which has made the physical side of working on a bike painful.
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Not as many miles as I hoped, but I bought the GSXR1100 which was nice.

I might tax the K1200RS next month for 6 and use it as my winter bike and SORN the GSXR.

I hit a massive pothole on the GSXR and it's now got a leaky fork seal, so I reckon it's off to Brooks suspension for new springs and a valve job over winter.

Hardly done any miles on the Bullet, which is a shame.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

So-so...

Work's been very slow so not done the miles I would have normally, nor enjoyed the days out with the trainees.

And as my Biker Down presentation has been dropped by Kent Fire & Rescue, I've not been riding to Rochester every month this summer as I normally do. (After almost a decade of volunteering my services I was a wee bit miffed to be told my services were no longer required by the Assistant Buildings and Works Manager, not the firefighter I'd worked with on the the Biker Down project from the very beginning!). And I've also likely delivered my last 'Crash Course' presentation on the Ride Skills days at Brands, so no laps of the Indy Circuit this year - the only 'perk' I got from KFRS.

I haven't had the rides-out to deliver presentations this year either - all of those have been online, with including a presentation for RoadSafetyGB, and a virtual appearance in NZ for Shiny Side Up 2021. I've got a real face-to-face one scheduled for mid-October in Gloucester so if the weather looks good, we'll do a two-up overnighter on the bike. If it rains, I'll just hammer there and back same day in the car with the wipers going :)

Had some good days out, but the hit and miss weather has made it difficult to plan too much, particularly as my partner's been under pressure working from home trying to catch other peoples' mistakes because THEY are working from home and there's no-one in the office. As it's a legal practice, it's pretty important. It's made scheduling trips difficult.

Did get in a week's two-wheeled hol to Wales just a few days back, and put in just under 1000 miles, with barely any of it on dual carriageways, let alone motorways.

I will try to get the CB250RS re-reg'd as a classic this month... and get a ride out on it before the salt hits the road.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
wull

Post by wull »

Not really, no racing, National license will have lapsed albeit I could probably get an extension. 2 trackdays on the road bike which were crap due to bike issues and just commuting miles with no pleasure rides at all.

Hopefully better next year.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

This year has been quite good actually. Built on last year with the missus getting more into riding, leading to some thoroughly enjoyable rides together instead of going out in the evenings and pootling around. The highlights of the couple riding being her riding to Wales on her 125. Having ridden her bike a few times I'm genuinely impressed with her enthusiasm, effort and ability to ride from Medway to Llandovery in one day. The return journey was even more telling as we fought our way through south London rush hour traffic with her yelling across the intercom that I was blocking gaps that she could get through and to get out her way.

Bought an R1200RT.

I did a track day at Cadwell Park for the first time.

Joined RoSPA and whilst I was very sceptical at the start, it has helped me enjoy my road riding again. I never used to just go for rides, especially by myself but needing to go out and practice has brought me out my comfort zone.

Would like to get a weekend away in the diary before the weather turns properly miserable and to get some loose plans made for next year too.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just been thinking. Because I'm retired and the weather is perfect all year round, I don't panic and need to grab the chance while I can.

Hence I don't ride the GSXR so much.

Hmmm.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Done a few more miles - enjoyed it - both bikes are great for what they do.
Didn’t have a boys weekend to France but I’m in two minds about touring with others -
Still get inspiration from this place
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Until last few weeks I would have said no, but something clicked with the griso recently and I learned that it needed a little bit of telling to get the best out of it. Last few times I've ridden it I've felt so much more confident and less of a passenger
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Less miles than I'd have thought, but every one of 'em was for fun or to decompress so were enjoyed, even those that were commuting.
Dunno, it's been a funny old year, between the weather, work, my mood, commitments I've had a thunk or 2 about why I bother with a bike, but sod it, it's a toy, it makes me happy.

Winter plans? Maybe, might see how tricky a DIY stage II is, if my current tuner can handle it then it might be on the cards.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Despite everything (Triumph troubles), it's been great!! The times that I've gone out for the day or gone away (erm....Wales mainly), it's all come together nicely and I haven't had to change plans or cancel anything.

I'll check this years mileage from the service book - I had a service in Feb and see what I've done but a fair few miles.

The Mach festival was a right hoot - though I got there and back on someone else bike, I did spend the entire time drinking, laughing and making friends. I also ran a welsh trip for the club - had a great time as always. The track day at Prembery with you guys was absolutely awesome and I'll be going next year if you do the same and I've done some lone rider stuff which is my therapy.

I'm out this Sunday to recce the Cease Fire cafe for a ride I'll do in October for the club. The club are also having a couple of big events in October that I'll be going to.

I ride all year (with plenty of ACF50 applied) as I only really try to avoid ice, though the rides will be shorter. I may organise The Rock Cakes at Stonehenge run on the shortest Sunday (I make my own rock cakes for that one) and it can be a bit of a spirited ride to get there and back before the sun sets :P

I've been invited to join the Sanders who travel on their narrow boats during the winter (they have one each - how cute) and when I asked what I'd do with my bike they said "we'll stick it on the boat" so I've got to do that, if only for a photo of my bike on a narrow boat :bblonde:

Regardless - I much prefer riding in the summer, who doesn't, so looking forward to the end of March 2022 already.
Lockdown refugee
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

On the whole a good year.

I’m disappointed that I stuck with the Sprint for most of the summer when I knew deep down it was just too much hard work 2 up. Weekday evening runs with the lads were just a struggle.

Much better the last couple of months after I got the GS. I even went out on it by myself which I haven’t done for years.

Hopefully there won’t be too much delay getting it back from the dealer and I can get a bit more fun out of it before it’s put away for the winter.