Where I was riding yesterday :)

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Where I was riding yesterday :)

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Wales goat track.JPG
Wales goat track.JPG (342.18 KiB) Viewed 410 times
My kind of road!

The XJ6 is actually surprisingly good two-up on these roads. It's reasonably nimble and the re-tune / re-engineer of the R6 motor is spot on for this kind of riding... it pulls from 2k, and has decent torque from 3k, so even when I arrive at a bend in the wrong gear, the motor is generally flexible enough to pull me out of trouble. There's enough grunt to climb 1:4 hills at low revs too.

The YSS shock on the rear is a big upgrade too - this is its first real test two-up since I fitted it.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Horse

Re: Where I was riding yesterday :)

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:58 am so even when I arrive at a bend in the wrong gear,
[X] poor obs
[X] get some training

:D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:02 am
The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:58 am so even when I arrive at a bend in the wrong gear,
[X] poor obs
[X] get some training

:D
It happens... :)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Skub

Post by Skub »

I'd be in a hurry to get off roads like that!
Can't even enjoy the scenery. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
The Spin Doctor

Skub wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:12 pm I'd be in a hurry to get off roads like that!
Can't even enjoy the scenery. :(
There were some stunning views.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I think the term is "varied" for a ride that will include single tracks with grass/gravel/moss down the middle. My rides are varied and when I've said I like to challenge people, what I mean is all kinds of roads and if I can get an easy ford in there, I will. If you ride those roads "as fast as you can" once you get onto a nice open road with sweeping bends it feels like you have 10 minutes to prepare for a corner :lol: A bit like wearing tight shoes just for the pleasure of taking them off.

I'm doing a recce of a north Wales route I have today which includes all of those as well as a gated road - I'm doing it on my own which will be a pain - will take pics.

I'm also stopped at a Chocolatiers- oh yeah!
Lockdown refugee
Skub

Post by Skub »

Trinity765 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:41 am I think the term is "varied" for a ride that will include single tracks with grass/gravel/moss down the middle. My rides are varied and when I've said I like to challenge people, what I mean is all kinds of roads and if I can get an easy ford in there, I will. If you ride those roads "as fast as you can" once you get onto a nice open road with sweeping bends it feels like you have 10 minutes to prepare for a corner :lol: A bit like wearing tight shoes just for the pleasure of taking them off.
That sounds like banging your head off a wall because it's lovely when you stop. :wtf: :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Trinity765 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:41 am I think the term is "varied" for a ride that will include single tracks with grass/gravel/moss down the middle. My rides are varied and when I've said I like to challenge people, what I mean is all kinds of roads and if I can get an easy ford in there, I will. If you ride those roads "as fast as you can" once you get onto a nice open road with sweeping bends it feels like you have 10 minutes to prepare for a corner :lol: A bit like wearing tight shoes just for the pleasure of taking them off.

I'm doing a recce of a north Wales route I have today which includes all of those as well as a gated road - I'm doing it on my own which will be a pain - will take pics.

I'm also stopped at a Chocolatiers- oh yeah!
Sounds like the Surrey Scrambles! We had fords, gravel, single track roads with a bit of neeeeeeowwwww, scrape, scrape thrown in. Happy days. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
The Spin Doctor

Skub wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:48 am

That sounds like banging your head off a wall because it's lovely when you stop. :wtf: :lol:
Just puts everything into perspective :)
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Was that an A road or a B road?
wull

Post by wull »

Scootabout wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:30 pm Was that an A road or a B road?
Shite road
The Spin Doctor

Scootabout wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:30 pm Was that an A road or a B road?
C :)
The Spin Doctor

Wull wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:35 pm Shite road
Nope... just mud and grass.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

I always seem to find myself on roads like that on the Welsh National Rally. I can't resist the temptation of the 'short cuts', despite remembering as soon as I'm on them that going the long way round would have been quicker. I hope they'll hold it next year. It's been cancelled two years running because of covid. Actually three times, because there was an attempt in 2020 to postpone it till October, which didn't work out.
The Spin Doctor

Scootabout wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:28 pm I always seem to find myself on roads like that on the Welsh National Rally. I can't resist the temptation of the 'short cuts', despite remembering as soon as I'm on them that going the long way round would have been quicker. I hope they'll hold it next year. It's been cancelled two years running because of covid. Actually three times, because there was an attempt in 2020 to postpone it till October, which didn't work out.
I remember doing the Welsh National with Bike Breaker, as she took her Velocette LE on the course. She did the daylight hours by herself but we teamed up for the night time as she was a bit worried about seeing anything ahead of her with the 'light' on the front of that bike.

That was the year I finished joint 1st (but got marked down to 2nd because my 600 Hornet was a few months younger than the TL1000R that scored the same as me).

As placings were based on the 'special' tests, the scary thing is that I must have answered more questions on Welsh history correctly than any of the Welsh entrants ;)
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:43 pm
I remember doing the Welsh National with Bike Breaker, as she took her Velocette LE on the course. She did the daylight hours by herself but we teamed up for the night time as she was a bit worried about seeing anything ahead of her with the 'light' on the front of that bike.
Did Bike Breaker make the move onto this forum? I don't remember her posting (ought to D.A.S..)
Another of her adventures iirc was changing a cylinder head gasket in the middle of the Scottish rally one year :P
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yes, occasionally pops in to post pithy rejoinders (whereas the rest of us just extract urine :) )
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
David

Post by David »

Scootabout wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:31 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:43 pm
Did Bike Breaker make the move onto this forum? I don't remember her posting (ought to D.A.S..)
Another of her adventures iirc was changing a cylinder head gasket in the middle of the Scottish rally one year :P
In fairness (and with due respect to BB) a head gasket on an LE is a 10 minute job.
The Spin Doctor

David wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:17 pm In fairness (and with due respect to BB) a head gasket on an LE is a 10 minute job.
In daylight, yes.

Not QUITE so easy in the dark, and miles from anywhere up in the Brecon Beacons, which is where she replaced one when riding with me!
David

Post by David »

Yes, there are far les LE service points in the Brecon Beacons....and not many street lights, either..