What bikes would you never ride?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Count Steer

What bikes would you never ride?

Post by Count Steer »

Given the typical rampant prejudice against some bikes by some riders - you know the drill, BMW riders have beards and smell of wee, Homdas, Hardly Worthitsons, Cruisers generally etc etc etc almost ad infinitum - what would you a) never own b) never even be seen riding?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yorick

Re: What bikes would you never ride?

Post by Yorick »

KTMs :obscene-birdiedoublered:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'd give everything a try once.

I reckon you can have fun on any bike if you have an open mind.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yo' mamma.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

The only thing I wouldn't try to ride (and probably wouldn't have before) is something with those 'ape-hanger' type bars!!! I couldn't get my right hand to them now - before I didn't think I'd have the balance to ride like that!! LOL

I'm not keen on some of the 'feet forward, lean back' bikes because, when I have tried them, I've really struggled with balance. I've not actually fallen off one, but I did my CBT on a baby version and almost gave up on the idea of a bike licence. Then got on a 'proper' bike for the rest of the week and it was so simple and I loved it!

But - if I can reach the bars and control the bike at that reach, I'd give pretty much any bike a go!! :D

Funnily enough, my physio keeps laughing about the 'ape-hanger' bikes and saying that he's working towards me being able to ride one - I keep saying he can stop working, just before that is a possibility!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

A) Bikes that cost too much, either in time or money. At the moment that's any bike.
B) I've ridden round my neighbourhood on an electric tricycle, I have little shame but will draw the line at a H.O.G. back patch.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I'm game to have a go on anything but will probably never ride a sports bike again but that's only down to decrepitude!
Would probably never buy: anything potentially temperamental/maintenance heavy eg Ducati, KTM. Sports bikes unless I was doing track stuff (also see above). Once upon a time I'd have said Harleys and cruiser style generally but then again, I would have probably said I won't buy anything without a shaft drive. :lol:
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I'm looking forward to @Taipan replying :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I'll ride any bike,even a bike or style of bike that I don't like,if nothing else it would reinforce or change my attitude to that bike.
When I was 16 I was bought a cheap used Puch Maxi step thru moped & a bomb helmet so I could get to the building sites I was working on.
I was embarrassed to be seen on the thing but it got me into bikes,& as soon as I could afford the bank loan I got a sports moped & a full face helmet.
Parting with my own money to enjoy the 'ownersip experience' of certain marques is another matter... .
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:45 amYo' mamma.
I’m ruling out Fat Annie from Spittal Hill too.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

I'll ride pretty much anything, but I am not happy on bikes that are top-heavy and high in the seat too. They might be fine on the move but they are a PITA.

The original BMW Funduro fell into that category. I was given one as an instructor bike at the first school I worked at (last in, and no-one else would ride the bloody thing, so I was gifted it - as soon as another trainer left, I grabbed his GPZ500). I had to plan my training routes around high kerbs so I could actually get on and off it. I never worked out how BMW managed to take a relatively light Aprilia engine and build such a heavy bike out of it! The engine was one of the worst ever too.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:09 am I'm looking forward to @Taipan replying :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Easy one for me, any Sports Bike. :thumbup:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I wouldn't turn down a ride on anything. Either you discover for yourself or you end up with blind prejudice.

Having said that, one of the most disappointing sports bikes I've ridden is a Buell X1 Lightning. It's only "advantage" was excess weight (or "mass centralisation" according to the bumf). It was a bit like taking a lightweight, agile RS250 and dumping half a dozen bags of cement under the tank.

Handling was "great" if you were able to prearrange everything up ahead but a bit like pushing a grand piano though a winding corridor. Choose the wrong trajectory or change your mind and the sheer inertia of the thing would insist you keep going.

On the road it was ok for pottering about, the plush suspension and inertia works in your favour for ironing out the bumps. Like say a big comfortable Chesterfield (sofa).

If I was offered a go on one, I might baulk at the idea. Doesn't really suit my style of riding. Harley with ape hangers and suicide forks? Let me through!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I'll try anything, but am not keen on stuff with a high seat - my legs are too short. Also not comfortable with feet forward stuff, it feels weird and not fully under control.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Bustaspoke wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:32 am
Parting with my own money to enjoy the 'ownersip experience' of certain marques is another matter... .
Gowan, gowan, gowan....what 'certain marques' would that be?
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:59 am
B) I've ridden round my neighbourhood on an electric tricycle, I have little shame but will draw the line at a H.O.G. back patch.
Ooh! Electric tricycle, do tell! Although you should start a 'strangest/daftest' thread. I've got one to add to that. :lol:
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

I'd take a ride on anything,it's all information,but there are bikes I can't ever see myself owning.

I've had great craic from a step thru 125 Innova and a scooter SH300i,I don't think there's a bike I wouldn't be seen on,I don't care enough what others think is cool or not.

Machines I'm not drawn to are the big trail type such as the GS. I don't get them at all.
I can't see me ever owning another bike that exceeds 200kgs. Ideally for me lighter bikes are where the fun is. My 04 ZX10R was a perfect example of this,it felt like a toy,far lighter than the current crop of litre bikes,but I'm done with sportsbikes on the road,I haven't the restraint to ride them in a sensible manner and I'm too old to bounce well.

I've never ridden a Harley,so I can't in all honesty say I wouldn't enjoy one. There are no dealers in this country and I don't know anyone who rides one,so that's unlikely to change. Visually,the big,gaudy chrome machines are not to my taste,but the more understated models,such as Mr.Longbeard's Harley look very cool.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Ridden and owned lots of bikes, from a Lifan electric powered scooter (it was fine) up to 200 bhp sportsbikes (S1000RR and Hyabusa) to a Harley.

Only thing I won't ride again is anything with a significant tune +50% or more) but still on stock brakes, suspension and chassis. Only times I have ever been truely scared was on the Harley I had that had all of the above. Never, ever again. I actually value my life.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

I'll have a bash on pretty much anything, just so I can have an informed opinion about em.
Can't see me buying a Harley anytime soon though.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

I'd have a go on pretty much anything, though I suspect I'd draw the line at anything sub 125cc as it'd just be too damn slow