Yamaha Tech Max and 900 Tracer GT test rides

Anything you like about motorbikes
Hawkman

Yamaha Tech Max and 900 Tracer GT test rides

Post by Hawkman »

Yes, yes, I know... a scoot FFS. In my quest for a long distance commuter opinion falls into two camps - buy a snotter/drone and use that, or in the other camp ride something you actually like. So to appease the Gods of sensibility and challenge my own preconceptions I took a super scoot out for a test ride, and I'll get that out of the way first.

Both "bikes" were taken out on the same test loop. Not much to say about then 560cc super scoot, as it looks like a big scoot and obviously doesn't need as much input to ride. It has decent underseat storage - enough for a lid, and maybe a handbag or something. It has heated grips, and heated seat, and an electronic windscreen that can be adjusted on the hoof. Of course I set off and come to a dead stop at the first junction as I forget that the clutch is now the rear brake . Doh. It's brand new and feels wider, with the mirrors being situated out on stalks in front of the bike, precisely at car mirror level - and for this reason I am hesitant about filtering too much.

Once the road opens up into dual carriageway and back roads, it makes ok progress through the autobox, but obviously nothing like a "normal" bike - though it does come with Sport and Touring (or something) mode, which changes the engine response and apparently the suspension too (not that I could feel a massive difference). It feels balanced to ride, and is neutral in it's handling on road. I stop by my house, and the wife says something along the lines of "wtf you doing with a scooter?" Although it provides good wind/weather prototection, it's not as much as I hoped for. The mpg after a 30mile loop is only about high 50s, so not much better than the Tracer. Heated grips are mediocre on high setting, and I couldn't really feel much re the heated seat.

I drop it back off at the dealers to switch bikes, and banish the memory. It's not that the scoot is bad, I just don't get it and a new costs almost as much as the Tracer, so its a no from me.

Onto the Tracer - I'd been looking forward to this, and wasn't dissappointed. This is the one bike, where I did switch maps, suspension and traction control during the ride. It handles well, again the electronic suspension (which has two settings) does a good job on soaking up bumps and undulations. I end up leaving it in the first two more responsive settings for engine maps, where it pulls more. I don't really end up bothering the traction control and ABS too much. The screen is most probably the best out of the bikes I've tested, being manually adjustable on the fly. Being the GT version it comes with panniers, which may limit filering ability. MPG wise it returns about 50mpg on the test ride, which I'm mildly surprised with. It feels like an inline 4, instead on a triple it's that smooth. It also comes with a quickshifter, which does a good job with the throttle open. It's also comfortable - roomy enough to move about on, and pegs seem to be in the right position (I'm about 5'9"). The heated grips a very hot on their highest setting so no worries there, when it gets cold. Overall it feels more planted, possibly because it's more road based that the KTM 890 Adventure. It's neck and neck with the Ducati Multistrada 950S, but from memory, I think the Ducati has it's nose in front re handling. Sadly the dealer isn't interested in my bike as a part ex (due to bubbling in the fuel tank paint, a know KTM issue), and offers a paltry amount compared to a part ex offer I already have, so effectively removing the Tracer as an option for now.

Next up the KTM Super Duke 1290 GT.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha Tech Max and 900 Tracer GT test rides

Post by weeksy »

Well, that dealers may not be, but there's plenty of others out there.
Hawkman

Re: Yamaha Tech Max and 900 Tracer GT test rides

Post by Hawkman »

weeksy wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:14 am Well, that dealers may not be, but there's plenty of others out there.
Yes, indeed and they have made more money off me as I bought accessories along with the bike. I guess some can't be arsed, and other possibly aren't set up for moving bikes more than 5 years old, that aren't pristine.