Top 5 most iconic sportsbikes ever - Right or wrong ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Top 5 most iconic sportsbikes ever - Right or wrong ?

Post by weeksy »

https://www.44teeth.com/top-5-most-icon ... ikes-ever/

What's the thoughts then on this list of Iconic ?

For me, the list is a bit hit and miss. I'd remove the K5 gsxr, i'd also remove the RC30. Instead replacing with a Ducati 1199 and a MV Agusta 1000 F4.
But this as always will come down to personal preference.

I also think the 1998 R1 needs to be higher up the list.

5. 2005 – 2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000 K5
I can remember when the K5 Gixxer Thou’ came out and every dick and their dog wanted one. Back then it was dubbed by many as the fastest, most bonkers-est thing to hit the roads since forever. And even now, 15 years on, the model still enjoys a decent following. And for good reason. It’s a bike that has the perfect blend of solid performance, a fast engine and reasonable handling, and all before the fun was castrated with umpteen traction control and power modes. Ok, I know all that stuff is moving the job forward but it’s taken some of the charm and character out of a lot of bikes.
No, the closest thing most ‘K5’s got to rider aids was an aftermarket quickshifter; but that was back in the day when people realised the throttle worked both ways. 176bhp put the Gixxer right at the sharp end of the superbike tree, at a time when there was strong competition. Unfortunately, the K5 was the last world-beating Gixxer, with BMW S 1000 RRs, ‘big-bang’ Yamaha YZF-R1s and Gen 4 Kawasaki ZX-10Rs just round the corner. But it’s still got a special place in a lot of people’s hearts

4. 1987 -1990 Honda VFR750R RC30
If you say the RC30 is a more iconic sportsbike than the RC45 to the wrong person (i.e. fans of the ’45) they can get a bit eggy. But really, they just need reminding of the facts of life. Developed for HRC’s assault on the newly formed World Superbike Championship, the VFR750R RC30 was as trick as trick got back then. Titanium con-rods, gear driven cams, close ratio box, slipper clutch and Showa forks, you name it. And it worked. All that kit helped Fred Merkel win the inaugural World Superbike Championship in 1988.
By 1994, the ’30 was getting a bit old in the tooth so Honda released an updated RVF750 RC45. Another ‘homologation special’, the revvier, fuel injected, more race focused ’45 enjoyed championship wins all throughout the mid to late ‘90s. You might call the RC45 the ultimate ‘90s race bike, but without the trail blazing RC30 it probably would never have existed. And that’s why the Honda RC50 placed fourth in our top five most iconic sportsbikes countdown.

3. 1998 Yamaha YZF-R1
When I was seven-and-a-half-years-old there was only one thing on my Christmas list. The fat bloke obviously didn’t get the memo though, because instead of a Yamaha YZF-R1 under the tree, all I found was a tin of Linx Africa and Dr Doolittle on VHS. Oh well. Since I was a kid I’ve had a serious soft spot for the whole R1 dynasty. And it was a soft spot that turned into a raging hard one the day I finally got to ride one.
150bhp might not sound like a lot by todays standards, but back in 1998, it was a real game changer. It was Yamaha’s answer to Honda’s FireBlade and Ducati’s 916, number two and one in our countdown. And what an answer. It had the best power to weight ratio of any superbike before it, and not just because of its power, but because it was dead light too. More R1s were sold in the UK than any other country. In fact you’d rarely see one in a dealership; because as soon as they received them, they were sold.

2. 1992 Honda CBR900RR FireBlade
Whether you are a fan of the FireBlade (that’s not a typo, it had a capital ‘B’ until 2004, when it was dropped in honour of the retirement of Tadao Baba, Designer and Project Leader) or not, there is no denying that Honda’s flagship superbike has been a benchmark in the sportsbike class for over 25 years. The FireBlade is a household name (well in any self-respecting home, anyway).
Since its launch in 1992, the ‘Blade has gone onto win the hearts and minds of motorcyclists the world over. As well as Isle of Man TT races, British Superbike Championships, World Superbike Championships and Le Mans 24 Hour races. So you’d have to agree, the original one is a super important motorbike.

With all that power (122bhp) and such little weight (185kg), the Blade was said to be a real widow-maker. And at the time it was, but it probably had more to do with that 16 inch front wheel. When Tadao Baba was drawing up plans for the 1992 Blade, he wasn’t particularly bothered about the fact that 17 inch front wheels were all the rage for sportsbikes of the day. They were much maligned and a pain in the arse to replace. And it wasn’t until the Millennium ‘929’ Blade that Honda decided to make 17 inchers OE fitment. But you still voted it number two in our most iconic sportsbikes countdown.

1. 1994 – 1998 Ducati 916
The Ducati 916 is possibly the only 25-year-old motorcycle that looks as if it could have rolled off the production line yesterday. It’s as beautiful today as it was back then. It single-sided swinger, upside-down forks and under-seat cans set it apart from the rest. Maybe that’s why you’ve voted it the world’s most iconic sportsbike. Or maybe it’s because the 916 won more World Superbike championships than any other bike in the 90’s. Three of which with Carl Fogarty (and one with Troy Corser). But it didn’t just win races, it won ‘bike of the year’ awards here there and everywhere. And despite them not being cheap, they sold like hot cakes.
Like the other bikes in our top five, the 916cc twin-cylinder set new standards in performance whilst its steel tube trellis frame (which it later shared with the 748) gave it an agility that was unrivalled by its Japanese contemporaries.

It’s often referred to as designer Massimo Tamburini’s greatest work. I mean, just look at it. It’s official, the Ducati 916 is the most iconic sportsbike, ever.
KungFooBob

Re: Top 5 most iconic sportsbikes ever - Right or wrong ?

Post by KungFooBob »

I said it before and everyone poo-pooed me, the K5 was an exceptional machine, there was nothing like it at the time.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Four ideas to throw in the pot? Quotes added to explain.

BSA Gold Star 500. The bike every cafe racer wanted.

The BSA Gold Star is a motorcycle made by BSA from 1938 to 1963. They were 350 cc and 500 cc single-cylinder four-stroke production motorcycles known for being among the fastest bikes of the 1950s.

Vincent Black Shadow

American author Hunter S. Thompson once said of Vincent’s world’s first “superbike”: “If you rode the Vincent Black Shadow at top speed for any length of time, you would almost certainly die. That is why there are not many life members of the Vincent Black Shadow Society.”

The Vincent Black Shadow qualifies in almost every respect as the world’s first “superbike” both in terms of the sheer power and speed it was capable of, and in terms of the riding experience it delivered: a bike so powerful that you might indeed expect to end your life on earth and go to join the choir invisible if you persistently pushed it to its limits.

Ducati Mike Hailwood Replica

Ducati celebrated Mike Hailwood’s 1978 TT win by producing the Mike Hailwood Replica from 1979 - 1986

Yamaha 350 LC

Yamaha RD350 YPVS is a motorcycle that Yamaha made from 1983 to 1986. It was launched at the Cologne motorcycle show as "the nearest thing to a road going racer ever produced".

Ok, for completeness, a fifth:

Yamaha R1

My words: amongst the Blades, GSXRs, etc., this was the one that seemed to stop people in their tracks. The 916 stopped people because of the Foggy connection etc, the R1 because of everything else.
Last edited by Horse on Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:38 am Image

Unless you tell us what they are and why... then.. well... meh.
Horse

Post by Horse »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:39 am Unless you tell us what they are and why... then.. well... meh.
They might not be 'the best' if stacked against more modern stuff, but they were - and, for some people, still are - iconic.

I've added two more, with names and info for all of them.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

The Gold Star could be ordered in road, trials, or clubman trim so you could have 2 sports in one bike….My dad had a couple- clubman was a handful with a it’s close ratio box (pulling away from a standstill was like pulling away in 3rd) so yes I’d certainly say an iconic sports bike.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Kind of hard not to include the original GSX-R 750 surely the first true race rep of the modern era?

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You need to define "Sportsbike" really - if you're gonna say it's any bike that's sold as being fast, then the Vincent Black Shadow, Brough Superior and Triumph Bonneville are surely all way more iconic than a mid-life Gixer?

However, I believe the spirit of the question is aimed at post 1990-ish plastic faired superbikes. In which case my own list would pretty much match the OP. I'd maybe bin off the K5, it might be a very capable bike but to me it's just A N Other Japanese litre bike that came along half way through the products life (half way to date anyway!). Surely the K1 is a better fit?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:18 am I said it before and everyone poo-pooed me, the K5 was an exceptional machine, there was nothing like it at the time.
Folk rave about that one, but the riding position was a bit cramped. Nothing special about it.
Better than the K3, but the K7 was better than the K6 in every way.

IMHO