building a workshop/ garage who to get south London

What non motorbike related things are you doing, making, building, planning or designing
Screwdriver

Re: building a workshop/ garage who to get south London

Post by Screwdriver »

formula400 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:28 am right, me and the wife have put an offer in on a house and there is no garage, but I have the go ahead to get something purpose built to house the motorcycles and cycles in the garden. I had a brick built garage built in my current house but can't use the same people.

Do I go brick or wooden work shop??? I am after a 4x3 building, with maybe some storage in the roof (building regs say 2.5 meters max though)
it needs to have electricity, and ideally insulated so I can leave bike gear in there and guessing a concrete base for it to sit on.

currently trying to work out what its going to cost and who builds them, again not sure on budget. 5/10k :shock: , the house will be in epsom. any suggestions or sites to look at.

cheers
I'll do it. Drop me a PM and we can take it from there.

The garage of your dreams...

S.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

message sent S.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Budget option

If its any help i have this at the moment which houses both the Ducati and the Yamaha ..... concrete base was already there, shed was about 600 quid if i remember right and it now has power and light on armoured cable from the main house. Its about 10 foot by 7 foot so if i need to work on 1 bike then the other one gets to go outside

It isnt insulated but i reckon a load of Kingspan sheets would be easy to lob into the spaces between the supports to provide a bit ......and yes there are a couple of locks added since that photo was taken, plus there is always a car parked pretty much against the doors "just in case" but this is rural Norfolk where people leave house doors open etc

The shed i put in at the previous place was 12 foot by 9 foot so a bit bigger and had it all fitted with light and power....shame the missus decided we had to move after 10 months there :D

For anything timber based bear in mind the prices of wood has rocketed in the last few months. A friend ordered a summer house in Feb and the same kit is now 1000 quid dearer

Brick will be a better option for you and wish i had a brick built one but this suffices and does the job for what i need
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Well this could run and run. Just waiting for some dimensions and ground layout and at the very least we should be able to see some designs. Once we have some design parameters, we can start thinking about the merits of brick vs wood etc. and work out costs.

Going to assume costs will be vastly different from the last time I built a shed but it is difficult to beat block for both cost and strength.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

cheb wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:03 pm I don't know if you can get small ones but refrigerated containers, reefers, solve the insulation problem.
I know a chap who has a container business hell flog you one and deliver it
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

20ft Container new delivered is 3600 plus vat waterproof and wind proof he does second hand ones too for 2500- ish plus vat.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Being picky, what type of steel are they made of? Single use tins, or rated for multi use?

I'll confess some of my knowledge may be out of date, it's over 30 years since I worked for a shipping company and learnt the basics of shipping containers.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Why stop at just one?

rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

cheb wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:53 pm Being picky, what type of steel are they made of? Single use tins, or rated for multi use?

I'll confess some of my knowledge may be out of date, it's over 30 years since I worked for a shipping company and learnt the basics of shipping containers.
I'm sure he'll tell you what type and grade of steel they are, he's being doing it for several decades :think:
Goliatropin

Post by Goliatropin »

Since you're looking for a 4x3 building with electricity and insulation, it sounds like a workshop might be a good fit for your needs. As for cost and finding builders, it might be worth checking out local classifieds or online marketplaces to see if anyone is offering services in your area.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Even conservative shed builds seem to price up as low grands rather than high hundreds at the moment, even if you DIY.

My bil bought a couple pallets of clay tiles a good 18 months ago (still hasn't done the roof) and the price of them has rocketed sufficiently that he's "hidden" them so as not to attract passing piker pilferers. To think a pallet of tiles would attract the tea leaves.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:25 pm Even conservative shed builds seem to price up as low grands rather than high hundreds at the moment, even if you DIY.

My bil bought a couple pallets of clay tiles a good 18 months ago (still hasn't done the roof) and the price of them has rocketed sufficiently that he's "hidden" them so as not to attract passing piker pilferers. To think a pallet of tiles would attract the tea leaves.
When the UK had that *hurricane* back in '86 or '87(?) a local farmer lost a bunch of tiles off his house. Price of tiles was ridiculous. There were a couple of derelict cottages in the area, so one night we removed the tiles from them, sold them to the farmer, got paid well to fix his roof & install them etc.

We later found out the farmer in question owned the cottages, so we sold him tiles he already owned... and yes, Carl was involved, as was his dad.
Goliatropin

Post by Goliatropin »

Goliatropin wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:21 pm Since you're looking for a 4x3 building with electricity and insulation, it sounds like a workshop might be a good fit for your needs. As for cost and finding builders, it might be worth checking out local classifieds or online marketplaces to see if anyone is offering services in your area.
One site you might want to check out is greasemonkeydirect.com - I actually got some really great tool kits from them recently for my own garage project.
ninja

Post by ninja »

I bought a 7'X11' worksop a couple of years ago. It was £2500. I lined the floor with decent plywood.
I'm pretty pleased with it.
Ant

Post by Ant »

If you're quite handy, fancy having a go yourself? Build the walls from block and clad the outside.

Use a mini digger to dig the footings and a concrete company to fill them up. You could employ some people to do some parts, for example if you're not confident on the digger, you can hire a bloke with a digger to dig the footings. Get a mate to help knocking up the mortar, the walls will go up very quickly.