Game pc

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Monstyr

Game pc

Post by Monstyr »

I’ve asked my local shop to build me a pc worthy of Mordor to keep my teenager off his mums pc and as a consequence her off my back complaining about no access to it when she needs to work.
He will use it to play some mid range type games with his friends but longer term it’ll serve him for the rest of his school years and perhaps beyond.

CIT Midi ATX Gaming Case ( Window ) Antec 500Watt Plus Power supply Asus B360-Plus Gaming Motherboard Intel i5 9400F ( 6 Core ) Processor Kingston 16Gb DDR4 Ram memory Adata 960GB SSD Data Drive
Geforce GTX 1660 6Gb Graphics card
DVD - RW CD Rom
Wifi 802n Adaptor or Internal card
Bluetooth external adaptor
Logitech Wireless Keyboard & Mouse C

This is what they will deliver on Wednesday all going well, I specified a Bluetooth and WiFi card and keyboard but the specs I’ve left to them as I don’t understand them.

So, what have I bought?
the_priest

Re: Game pc

Post by the_priest »

That looks pretty decent actually. Good thing is that you have DDR4 RAM and the I5 CPU. Nice enough graphics. 16GB RAM is fine for such systems and so long as the OS is on the SSD he is fine. A normal HDD would be a good backup drive, and they are cheap enough.

Here is hoping he likes it. Don't forget a decent screen, at least 24" is advisable.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

How much did it cost - my 14 year old son is pestering for a gaming PC.
Honda Owner
Monstyr

Post by Monstyr »

About 800 for this spec, I was offered a more budget option buy went with this version, I bought his sister a laptop when she was sixteen which cost me 500 at the time so was intending to get him something to do school then college stuff on, I just thought adding a bit of functionality to it now means I wont be forking out for a PS5 anytime soon so it could actually save me money in a bizarre way.
For the moment I intend to plug into a big tv screen rather than a monitor, when he gets down to more academic tasks which probably wont be until the autumn I'll get a proper monitor for it.
My immediate puzzle is where the hell to put it amonst the chaos of a teenagers bedroom