Servicing, what would make you buy or walk from a sale ? Does it even matter ?

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
weeksy
Site Admin

Servicing, what would make you buy or walk from a sale ? Does it even matter ?

Post by weeksy »

Sitting with a minor internal debate on the ZX6R. Since we've had the ZX6R all the servicing has been done by me.

I've had the coolant done and the brake fluid done by MSG Racing when they fitted the quickshifter, but oil changes, plugs, air filter etc have been on me rather than a dealer.

So the question is, if you're buying a bike, are you looking at the history ? Or does it depend more on the overall condition and the person ?

Just debating if we need to put it into a dealer over winter (or more likely MSG racing) for a service and a valve clearance check.

Arguably with the XSR900 being a year old i need to think about it now too.

What do you do ?
Rockburner

Re: Servicing, what would make you buy or walk from a sale ? Does it even matter ?

Post by Rockburner »

I'd like to see the receipts and invoices for the parts, and possibly the old bits.

But if it's a private sale then it's about judging the bike on its merits.
non quod, sed quomodo
KungFooBob

Re: Servicing, what would make you buy or walk from a sale ? Does it even matter ?

Post by KungFooBob »

If I was paying £2k for a bike and it had no history, as long as it seemed in good condition I'd take it at face value.

If it was Italian, maybe not.

If I was paying proper money, I'd expect some kind of proof of service, unless it was considerably cheaper than one with history (and not a Ducati).
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:45 pm I'd like to see the receipts and invoices for the parts, and possibly the old bits.

But if it's a private sale then it's about judging the bike on its merits.
What he said
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Depends on price and age, if you're asking a high price I'd want a full dealer service history, mostly for when I'd move it on as servicing on a modern bike is pretty much oil and filter change and a look round.

I saw one of your 690s after you'd sold it, it was cleaner than a new bike.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:52 pm Depends on price and age, if you're asking a high price I'd want a full dealer service history, mostly for when I'd move it on as servicing on a modern bike is pretty much oil and filter change and a look round.

I saw one of your 690s after you'd sold it, it was cleaner than a new bike.
No disrespect to Weeksy, but a shiny bike doesn't always mean a well serviced bike.
cheb

Post by cheb »

My buying is generally time constrained so it'd take a lot to make me not buy a bike I'm interested in. That said, by the time I'm looking at them service history is moot. If it starts I'm happy.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Most bikes I wouldn't be that fussed depending on price but would prefer to see receipts.

A 690 Duke for example or a Ducati or something like that I'd wanna see a stamped up book and invoices. On my 690 I've got
1st service - dealer free
2nd service - dealer as under warranty
3rd service - dealer as valve check
4th service - me as just oil/filters
5th service - dealer as valve check

If I have it next year I'll be doing it and keeping the receipts.

Presumably you'll need a proper service as yours is still under warranty isn't it? Not that you'll need the warranty I'd imagine.

For your ZX6 I'd just keep all the receipts to prove it was serviced.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:34 pm

Presumably you'll need a proper service as yours is still under warranty isn't it? Not that you'll need the warranty I'd imagine.
Mine is a 19, so i'm guessing the warranty is up some time this year.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:38 pm
Supermofo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:34 pm

Mine is a 19, so i'm guessing the warranty is up some time this year.
I'd probably not bother then if it was me. But if I owned an XSR it'd not be going anywhere for a while so I doubt a service history from a dealer would make any odds to re-sale down the line.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:41 pm I'd probably not bother then if it was me. But if I owned an XSR it'd not be going anywhere for a while so I doubt a service history from a dealer would make any odds to re-sale down the line.
It's going nowhere, but that's part of the reason i'd service it too i guess. I've emailed Blade Yamaha to ask them for a price anyway.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:46 pm It's going nowhere, but that's part of the reason i'd service it too i guess.
Yup that's my reasoning. If I like a bike enough that I'm keeping it for years it's in my interests to look after it.
Skub

Post by Skub »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:40 pm
So the question is, if you're buying a bike, are you looking at the history ? Or does it depend more on the overall condition and the person ?

Just debating if we need to put it into a dealer over winter (or more likely MSG racing) for a service and a valve clearance check.

Arguably with the XSR900 being a year old i need to think about it now too.

What do you do ?
If it's Japanese,I'd make a judgement call on condition/owner. Service history wouldn't matter much to me. I wouldn't buy anything else without FDSH unless there were unusual circumstances,such as a guy who serviced it himself and knew his stuff.

With a new bike,I'm kind of in the same boat. I've changed the oil and filter myself already,because I do that every 4k or so,despite dealer service intervals,but it's probably a good idea to keep the warranty going for the 2 years and suck up a couple of bills.

Having said that,because I've ditched the stock cat etc and had it flashed,I've more than likely negated the warranty anyway.

I've a service due at 7500 and I'm currently at 6k,so I'll maybe decide then what to do based on what the dealer will stiff me for.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

Depends how long the seller has had it. If hes only had it 5 minutes and there are 5 other previous owners then there's no way to verify services unless each owner meticulously kept receipts for oil/filter/plugs.
But if hes had it for a few years and seems sensible then fine but I still want the service book stamped for at least the first service or no dice.
I don't bother if the books have been lost and theres only one key etc.
Taff

Post by Taff »

I would be more than happy to buy a bike without a service history as long given that it's coming in the condition that you keep them in.

Main dealer SH means absolutely nothing. This is based on having just got off the phone to the local volvo dealer that charged me for fuel filter change and brake fluid change that quite obviously haven't happened. (fuel filter was leaking before it went in and is as filthy and still leaking now, brake caliper bleed nipples & rubber covers are filthy and have not been touched)
what else haven't they done but charged us for?
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

It is down to what the bike looks like, how the seller comes across and what history is available. I've bought some very good bikes with no history and a bike with FSH that was not good at all because the servicing dealer was a chimp or gorilla (definitely an ape though).

I buy from a forum members with no worries in the main (remove the tassels from Taipan's bikes first) and have done so any how with no issues at all.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Depends.

I've bought vehicles with zero history that have been absolutely fine. I've bought vehicles with masses of history that have ended up needing tons of work (nothing dangerous but nothing that you would really have gleaned from the history or a test drive).

My one rule is don't buy from anyone who I don't like. It serves me reasonably well, hard to get a great feeling from the minimal interaction of a sale when everyone is on their best behaviour though. But if you get chummy enough the proper bellends will normally expose themselves (not like that!).
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I don't place too much importance on history if I'm confident it's been looked after, what would bother me is if I'd be able to sell it on without any history. Just that may stop me going to view it unless the price is good.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Still under Warranty, main dealer service history please, even though some main dealers are utter shite. Motorcycle "large town with a cathedral" being one, both the local Ford and Nissan garages are awful, neither ever changed a pollen filter and I'm dubious that the Ford lot ever went near the oil filter.

If it's out of warranty then I'd be happy with receipts for home services and respected garage for valve service.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:34 pm Most bikes I wouldn't be that fussed depending on price but would prefer to see receipts.

A 690 Duke for example or a Ducati or something like that I'd wanna see a stamped up book and invoices. On my 690 I've got
1st service - dealer free
2nd service - dealer as under warranty
3rd service - dealer as valve check
4th service - me as just oil/filters
5th service - dealer as valve check

If I have it next year I'll be doing it and keeping the receipts.

For your ZX6 I'd just keep all the receipts to prove it was serviced.
I once watched a dealer - quite openly - flipping over the pages in a service book and stamping the blank squares one after the other.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills