Vulcanet wipes?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Taipan

Vulcanet wipes?

Post by Taipan »

I think it was skub who referenced these the other day, but they come up on forums quite often. I looked at them once but thought they were too expensive. When I looked into them a bit more, there were all kinds of comments from heresy from detailers, to you cant beat lidl baby wipes from others, with a only a few championing them?

The key thing is people who have used them say they have a mesh type build and don't scratch your paint like a baby wipe will. Well I have a tub of wonder wipes which are also of mesh construction, but after cleaning my bike with them yesterday I'd say they would scratch the bike unless it was little more than dusty. Plus they left a smeary finish, which they tell me vulcanet wipes don't?

So what does the RTTL masses say; Vulcanet Wipes, is you in, or is you aint?
Skub

Re: Vulcanet wipes?

Post by Skub »

I bought a tub at the start of the month,mostly out of curiosity. I like them. They are very good at cleaning around nadgery areas such as brake calipers and leave a nice finish when hit with the microfibre cloth. Great for wheels.

They will remove dried on bug splatter,but not as easily as I thought. Used in conjunction with a wet T shirt (as recommended by RB) they work well on paintwork. I haven't seen any evidence of scratching.

I don't think they are a perfect solution for everyone,for example I don't ride in the wet unless I'm caught out,so there's no way you'd clean a bike properly using one wipe,in that scenario.

The two main cons are the obvious cost £35 a tub and I've always used at least two wipes,not the one they claim.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Skub

Post by Skub »

inewham wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:19 pm
Skub wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:55 pm Used in conjunction with a wet T shirt
;pics;

Oh God pass the mind bleach please :o
You did ask. :thumbup:

Walt Whitman
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

I think the £10 Dulux hand wipes are much better VFM and do a better job.

The Vulcanet wipes are saturated with cleaning solution so if you leave the wipe sitting on baked on dirt, the wipe will soften the dirt making the area easier to clean. A lot of money for not much benefit in my opinion but I think they're aimed at riders who only go out in the dry and want to give their bike a quick wipe down before putting it away for another week.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Gotta say the idea of wiping dried dirt and bugs with anything makes me cringe a bit esp on plastics. At least if you spray first with sdoc/muck off/etc or loosen the dirt with a rinse first it should help stop scratches.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:04 pm Gotta say the idea of wiping dried dirt and bugs with anything makes me cringe a bit esp on plastics. At least if you spray first with sdoc/muck off/etc or loosen the dirt with a rinse first it should help stop scratches.
The Vulcanet directions do say to cover the dried in bugs/tar/grime with the Vulcanet wipe for ten minutes (I think) which will dramatically soften the dried on crap so that it can be easily removed without scratching the paint. Worked well on my filthy GSA in fairness to Vulcanet.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:04 pm Gotta say the idea of wiping dried dirt and bugs with anything makes me cringe a bit esp on plastics. At least if you spray first with sdoc/muck off/etc or loosen the dirt with a rinse first it should help stop scratches.
My approach is Mr Sheen polish sprayed liberally on a clean bike - makes it much easier to lift the dirt and bugs off when I do clean it twice a year!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Beancounter wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:07 pm The Vulcanet directions do say to cover the dried in bugs/tar/grime with the Vulcanet wipe for ten minutes (I think) which will dramatically soften the dried on crap so that it can be easily removed without scratching the paint. Worked well on my filthy GSA in fairness to Vulcanet.
Same goes for a wet kitchen towel & I have rolls of those...
Skub

Post by Skub »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:00 pm
My approach is Mr Sheen polish sprayed liberally on a clean bike - makes it much easier to lift the dirt and bugs off when I do clean it twice a year!
You can't do/use that if the bike has matt paintwork.
Walt Whitman
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

£35 for some wet wipes??? You’re all insane!
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Nidge wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:16 pm £35 for some wet wipes??? You’re all insane!
Yes, no arguments there. I had resisted for years but had a moment of madness in P&H a couple of weeks ago.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Beancounter wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:07 pm Worked well on my filthy GSA in fairness to Vulcanet.

Now that's a ringing endorsement.... the only bikes I've seen filthier than Beanie's GS is anything I own...
non quod, sed quomodo
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Skub wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:21 pm
Always used it on the plastic matt sidepanels on the Hornet!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

? I washed my mate's Mr's Tracer the other week. That has matt blue paint which I couldn't get the drying marks out of until I Mr Sheened it, came out lovely with a really nice finish.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:41 am
? I washed my mate's Mr's Tracer the other week. That has matt blue paint which I couldn't get the drying marks out of until I Mr Sheened it, came out lovely with a really nice finish.
:think: Maybe it will work then.

Every day's a schoolday. :thumbup:
Walt Whitman
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Skub wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:58 am
Supermofo wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:41 am

:think: Maybe it will work then.

Every day's a schoolday. :thumbup:
Either that or I fubar'd her paint :think: :lol: She shoulda washed it herself.