Recommend me a compressor

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
Nidge

Recommend me a compressor

Post by Nidge »

I'm looking at getting a compressor for the garage any recommendations? Capacity? CFM? Belt drive versus direct drive? Oil versus no oil? As a compressor virgin it's all a bit confusing. Currently this one is piquing my interest, it seems to have all the right numbers and comes with a basic accessory kit but as I mention it's all a bit new to me

mangocrazy

Re: Recommend me a compressor

Post by mangocrazy »

I'd have a look on the SGS Engineering site. They have a helpful guide to different compressor types, how much CFM you'll need for particular tasks etc., and they're also competitive on price.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Belt driven for sure, they are much quieter. Oiless don't last as long and are also noisier IME.

As for cfm, what are you planning on doing with it?
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

cheb wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:45 pm Belt driven for sure, they are much quieter. Oiless don't last as long and are also noisier IME.

As for cfm, what are you planning on doing with it?
Mainly inflating, cleaning etc but inevitably it will also be used to shift the stubborn nuts in the Harley primary etc
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Once you've got a compressor you will find all sorts of uses for it... :D

So buy the biggest bestest one you can afford. Using windy guns does take a fair amount of sustained CFM, especially if it's a big nut and putting up a fight.
cheb

Post by cheb »

You might find that cordless drivers are better for shifting tight nuts than a windy gun. Nice to have, but technology has moved on.

Air tools are stupidly inefficient, I've an air tool the size and function of a Dremel and it outbreathes my compressor. The compressor is driven by a 3hp motor.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

60gal 2 stage 6hp.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I'd always reach for a leccy rattle gun over air, but having a compressor is just so damn useful for so many thngs. Just being able to get tyre pressures right without all the fuss of a filling station is a time and hassle saver.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:56 pm I'd always reach for a leccy rattle gun over air, but having a compressor is just so damn useful for so many thngs. Just being able to get tyre pressures right without all the fuss of a filling station is a time and hassle saver.
Us poor folk use a foot pump :(
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:53 am
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:56 pm I'd always reach for a leccy rattle gun over air, but having a compressor is just so damn useful for so many thngs. Just being able to get tyre pressures right without all the fuss of a filling station is a time and hassle saver.
Our camper van would soon cure you of that notion. 66psi.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:53 am
Not sure if you have Lidl or Aldi where you are, but they do compressors for about £80 that are perfectly sutable for stuff that doesn't require mega CFM. Once you've had one, you'll wonder how you ever got by without one... I was sceptical until I got one, now I have seen the light, brother... :)
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

My last compressor was dry and very noisy so this time I bought an oiled one, the difference is not noticeable.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Thanks for all the input especially the link to the SGS buyers guide @mangocrazy https://www.sgs-engineering.com/help-ad ... d-i-order/

I've just ordered this with free next day delivery https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc50h-5 ... or-air-kit
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

That looks bang on @Nidge A nice chunky compressor with some handy add-ons to get you started. Top job. One thing I find really useful is the air blow gun. It makes so many things so much easier. If you're clearing out threads after tapping it's really good. Just make sure the hole you're firing into is pointed away from your face...