KTM 890 (non-R)

Anything you like about motorbikes
Slenver

KTM 890 (non-R)

Post by Slenver »

I've seen a variety of KTM threads in passing and have tried to search and catch up, but can't find everything I've seen in the past.

What I've gleaned seems to be that almost everyone on the site has at some point bought and then sold a 790, some are planning to buy one again, or a new 890, and nobody trusts the reliability. Is that right?

Anyway, I'm still musing what to buy next to replace the 1290 SD GT (still for sale btw) and wanting something relatively small, light and fun. Was always assuming a Street Triple of some kind might be best, but everyone in the press does keep banging on about 890s.

I've still not seen an actual review of the newer non-R 890 which seems to have slipped under the radar a bit (or else I've not been concentrating), so what's the view here? Doesn't seem to be a whole lot different to the R except it comes in sensible colours (I like all-black bikes, don't like colours much), is prob better for the road and is a lot cheaper.

Any views?
Supermofo

Re: KTM 890 (non-R)

Post by Supermofo »

I think 44 Teeths review on youtube summed it up. They said the Street was a really nice bike bike but a bit dull, the 890 (R) was a hoot. But I did note that half the test was conducted with a ! on the dash and immobiliser fault or something similar overwriting everything.

Then Tricky's blew up. And another on Youtube went into limp mode in a review I was watching.

Then I went on the KTM forum and poll said upwards of 40% of people had issues their 790.

So the 790/890 is off my list. Which is a shame as I think I'd love one and it sounds like my ideal bike. I think if I was buying new on a 2 year PCP deal with a view to chop it in at that point, I'd happily go ahead but I'd rather a long term ownership.
Numnut

Post by Numnut »

My current 790 seems fine - it's a 2020 model and a few of the more leaky parts of the earlier models have been revised. I trust it as much as I trust anything else I've owned - the gsxr1000 I had before was weeping oil out the countershaft (I think) seal at the front of the engine, one of the blades I had melted it's reg/rec. So far none of the 3 ktms I've had have done anything as bad as that! My first 790 had a leaky rocker cover, and coolant hoses. Both replaced quickly under warranty.

I've not seen much about the standard 890 though - a couple of people on the FB owners group have had a go, and 1 person bought one, the other thought it was a bit underwhelming and overpriced when a 790 is lots cheaper. If you're on FB, then the group is KTM 790 & 890R Duke UK Owners. There's lots of happy owners on there!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Numnut wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:56 pm few of the more leaky parts of the earlier models have been revised.
Didn't know that, that's good to hear. I was under the impression they hadn't changed anything yet.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Supermofo wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:58 pm I think 44 Teeths review on youtube summed it up. They said the Street was a really nice bike bike but a bit dull, the 890 (R) was a hoot. But I did note that half the test was conducted with a ! on the dash and immobiliser fault or something similar overwriting everything.

Then Tricky's blew up. And another on Youtube went into limp mode in a review I was watching.

Then I went on the KTM forum and poll said upwards of 40% of people had issues their 790.

So the 790/890 is off my list. Which is a shame as I think I'd love one and it sounds like my ideal bike. I think if I was buying new on a 2 year PCP deal with a view to chop it in at that point, I'd happily go ahead but I'd rather a long term ownership.
Yeah, I saw the 44T thing, and that was partly what got me interested in it compared to the ST... though I'm not sure how new/old I'd be buying and an older ST is still a good option.

That was partly it though - lots of 890R reviews, but not much on the new 890.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Worth saying that my SD GT has been completely trouble-free over the 8,000 miles I've had it, though it's not the same bike of course.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Slenver wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:17 pm That was partly it though - lots of 890R reviews, but not much on the new 890.
I've heard a few journos say the Striple S is probably the best one for the road. But try and find an S review. They are all for the RS.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I've owned a 790, i've ridden several, they're absolutely ACE to ride... but for me, they do have some quirks. But so do most bikes. I read of issues on the MT09/FZ09 forum, but in honesty it's less than the 790 forums etc..

Would i own one again, yes, in warranty... without doubt.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Supermofo wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:23 pm
Slenver wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:17 pm That was partly it though - lots of 890R reviews, but not much on the new 890.
I've heard a few journos say the Striple S is probably the best one for the road. But try and find an S review. They are all for the RS.
Yep, know what you mean. They're all for the RS and conclude by saying it's too track-focussed. So review the other one them, numbnuts :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I wasn't keen on the RS, despite being really nicely built, it came over all a bit Ford Focus to me.
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

@Tricky will be along soon, I'm sure.... He may even try to sell you a STriple RS, leaving him clear to have another bite at the 890r 🙂
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-rev ... duke/2021/
KTM 890 DUKE (2021 - on) Review

Few road-going motorcycles make you feel as invincible at full lean as the KTM 890 Duke R. Light, perky and fitted with sticky Michelin Power Cup 2 tyres and beautifully set-up WP suspension it handles and rides more like a factory superbike than a humble naked.

Related: KTM 890 Duke R review
It’s undeniably impressive, but pricey, which is where this non-R base model comes in. It’s still light, fun and well equipped, but lacks the top shelf brakes and tyres that makes the R so appealing and with less power and more kilos, the 890 Duke feels decidedly ordinary.

Some will prefer its softer nature, its ability to carry a pillion and the lower price tag, but it’s still expensive and for the money Triumph’s Street Triple R or the Yamaha MT-09 are a better bet.

The way the R model’s top spec suspension and tyres work are worth the ticket price alone, but the same can’t be said of the base model’s cheaper set-up. It still has WP Apex units, but they aren’t set to such wonderful perfection.

The 890 Duke is still nicely balanced, reassuring and although steering geometry is slightly slower to keep things more stable it’s still agile and accurate, but its non-adjustable forks and preload adjustable rear shock don’t offer the same sublime plushness and control.

It’s the same story with the tyres. The 890 Duke is fitted with the latest Continental ContiRoad sports touring rubber, which work well enough, but compared to the R’s sportier Michelins they don’t have the grip to chuck the KTM confidently on its side or charge into corners at speed.

Put simply all of the R’s on-road sparkle has been removed with the base model. KTM have used slightly lower spec Brembos compared to the R model’s Stylemas, but happily they’re not lacking in power or feel.

The 890 Duke is more comfortable, spacious and everyday-usable than the R. KTM have dropped the seat height from 834mm to a short rider-friendly 820mm and the pegs are lower for more legroom.

Ground clearance is less as a result, but you’ll need to be going some to scrape the pegs on the road. It still has a commanding, upright, over-the-front riding position and is very naked with little wind protection.

Its 889cc parallel twin cylinder engine is the same as the R’s, but power is down from 119bhp@9250rpm to 113bhp@9000rpm thanks to new mapping. An A2 licence version is also available.

Maximum torque is also down from 73lb-ft@7750rpm to 68lb-ft@8000rpm. That doesn’t sound much of a drop on paper and in real life the KTM 890 Duke is still quick when you wind it up, but acceleration is noticeable flatter, making it less playful than the R. On top of that it’s also 4kg heavier (now 169kg, dry), which further clips its wings.

The 890 Duke is the one to go for those who don’t want to corner like Jeremy McWilliams and passengers can now come along for the ride, too, thanks to a new pillion seat and pegs.

But if you crave a dash of supermoto-like craziness from your KTM it’s going to feel lacking and even the satin black paintjob of our test bike looks sombre compared to the retina-busting orange-wheels on the R.

MCN’s online owners’ reviews show the previous-model 790 Duke has had its fair share of reliability problems. KTM say they are constantly improving build quality, so only time will tell if they’ve been addressed with the 890.

It’s easy to justify the cost of the KTM 890 Duke R, just for the way it excites and devours corners, but it isn’t such good value in base trim, especially as it’s more expensive than the Yamaha MT-09 and Triumph Street Triple R.

So, if you really fancy the idea of an 890 Duke you need to bite the bullet and spend the extra for the all-singing R version and that extra grand will be the best you’ve ever spent.
Build quality and finish out of the box are impressive and it’s well equipped with a colour TFT, riding modes and aids, but you’ll have to pay nearly 700 quid extra for our test bike’s Tech Pack that includes an up/down quickshifter, engine braking control and launch control, adjustable throttle maps and the ability to adjust traction control in nine stages.
Not exactly a glowing review of "buy it buy it buy it..."

£700 for the QS/blipper etc... which to me is just fucking wrong on many many levels, if you build it with the software in it, then bloody sell it with it... that would instantly stop me buying one.
G.P

Post by G.P »

I had a 790 and thoroughly enjoyed it, it makes you ride like a twat though :). Its appears to well put together and I had zero problems with mine. I only did around 4k miles and a couple of track days on it but every single one was fun.
I would consider another 790/ 890 but I'd go for the ADV version and deffo newish.
I've ridden the the Triumph street RS and as a long term keeper I'd go for the Triumph over a 790/890. It just feels more grown up and solid, to me.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

If you are interested in the newer 890 ADV then Boothy from 44 teeth has just done a review of the ADV and the ADV R versions ;)

Skub

Post by Skub »

It sounds to me ownership of any KTM is an adventure. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
G.P

Post by G.P »

Skub wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:54 am It sounds to me ownership of any KTM is an adventure. :lol:
Are you here all week? :D :D
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

weeksy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:13 am KTM 890 DUKE (2021 - on) Review
Interesting. TBH, I do find some of that review a little confusing... it starts by complaining about the lesser brakes, but then says they're fine later on. Then complains about the lack of performance, which is something like 7% less. Plus the tyres which, while important and not cheap, are ultimately consumables.

Still, I daresay it all adds up. Aside from the price, I'd be more interested in the R version anyway, it's just that they insist on more minging colourschemes the higher up the ranges you go. Not everyone who wants a good-handling bike wants to ride around on some 1980s dayglo abortion.

weeksy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:13 am£700 for the QS/blipper etc... which to me is just fucking wrong on many many levels, if you build it with the software in it, then bloody sell it with it... that would instantly stop me buying one.
I get your point here, but I don't think it's entirely fair. As more and more tech is purely software, it's inevitable that all bike/car companies have to do this. Few people complain about a price difference between a BMW 320i and 330i or Mini One and Mini Cooper etc. It's almost only software. Maybe car companies are just better at bundling in trim and cosmetic differences to mask it.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

If you went to buy a BMW and they said "it's £1000 for Traction control/Anti-skid" you'd say no. Or if it had the flappy paddle gearbox fitted with all the bits on the car but wasn't activated... Again, you'd frown. It's not like KTM have to add any components, they just have to activate the options in the software. I understand that someone has to pay for the Tech and research, but if that's the case, factor that into the price. Don't flannel it up as an 'extra', because it's really not.

The brakes, assuming they're the same as the ones on the 790 are absolutely fine, they're better with better pads, but most bikes are better with decent pads, so no arguments from me there.

I rode the 790 more than a few times on track and at Inters pace was never anything other than perfect. Sure if you want to run in fast you may need the R versions of the suspension, but IMO the 790 and i assume the 890 are perfectly acceptable for 99% of people.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:20 am If you went to buy a BMW and they said "it's £1000 for Traction control/Anti-skid" you'd say no. Or if it had the flappy paddle gearbox fitted with all the bits on the car but wasn't activated... Again, you'd frown. It's not like KTM have to add any components, they just have to activate the options in the software. I understand that someone has to pay for the Tech and research, but if that's the case, factor that into the price. Don't flannel it up as an 'extra', because it's really not.
I know Ducati used to charge to 'unlock' certain features already on the bike so it's not just KTM. Dunno if they still do but definitely read in a mag a while back about certain things being locked on the Panigale unless you paid to unlock them. I should imagine the cruise control on the Tracer is the same. I also think BMW have locked extras on their bikes.

Plus it's not just bikes, they've just robbed the idea from cars. My car is Mazda 3 SE-L, but 1st owner paid £300 to unlock the Sat Nav so now it's SE-L Nav spec. I asked about Google car play and the salesmen said it's already in the car but I'd need to pay £300 more to unlock it :shifty: And that's before you get to bit about my 120bhp version being exactly the same as the 170bhp version except they just stop the car from making more power beyond certain revs :wtf: Watched a tuning vid where they chip tuned mine and taking off the restrictions makes it exactly the same as the higher spec car.

It's all bollocks. They make the top spec car/bike then down spec it and charge to add it back in. Very shady.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Fair enough... but deffo seems harsh... even more so as on the 790 it was all free.