In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Horse

Re: In todays news...

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:46 pm I don't usually ... , but had a thought.
Having a thought? Well done! :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Yorick wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:46 pm Any more ministers who resign will be seen to have some integrity.
But plenty left wondering how they have decided that, after all that has happened - Sunak was fined, remember, for attending one of the parties that Johnson claimed never happened - 'now' is the tipping point.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:46 pm I don't usually get involved in political discussion, but had a thought.

Any more ministers who resign will be seen to have some integrity.
Them who fight hardest to defend Johnson will be seen as just as bad as him. Complicit even.

If a new team is brought in, it'll probably be made up those who seem to have some integrity.

Maybe.
Tricky one that. If others resign now I think people will say that they clung on until there was absolutely no chance of survival and that they aren't resigning on principle they're jumping a sinking shit. Sunak and Javid have stolen a march on the likes of Patel and Tank Girl..

I'd be surprised if Sunak has any further ambition but the other three do/did.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Johnson could also go if a general election is called, which would require all of the opposition and lots of tories...it's a 2/3rds majority is it not?
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:03 pm
Yorick wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:46 pm I don't usually get involved in political discussion, but had a thought.

Them who fight hardest to defend Johnson will be seen as just as bad as him. Complicit even.

If a new team is brought in, it'll probably be made up those who seem to have some integrity.

Maybe.
Tricky one that. If others resign now I think people will say that they clung on until there was absolutely no chance of survival and that they aren't resigning on principle they're jumping a sinking shit. Sunak and Javid have stolen a march on the likes of Patel and Tank Girl..

Freudian slip? :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I don't think BoJo will go, he'll have to be kicked out of the job
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

slowsider wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:12 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:03 pm

Maybe.

Freudian slip? :)
Oops. :lol:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Boris won't resign, resignation requires a modicum of decency, Boris hasn't a milligramme of decency never mind an ounce, plus he still has the likes of Raab, Gove, Patel and his goto GILF Nadine telling him it'll all be all right. You'd literally have to drag him screaming and drooling out of Number 10, he's fully convinced normal standards of behaviour don't apply to him.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Bigjawa wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:14 pm Boris won't resign, resignation requires a modicum of decency, Boris hasn't a milligramme of decency never mind an ounce, plus he still has the likes of Raab, Gove, Patel and his goto GILF Nadine telling him it'll all be all right. You'd literally have to drag him screaming and drooling out of Number 10, he's fully convinced normal standards of behaviour don't apply to him.
Be a heck of a leaving do though. :thumbup:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

In an ideal world Johnson will call a General Election in a hissy fit (if I'm going down, you're all going down with me'...) :D
Last edited by mangocrazy on Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Their resignation letters in full. Interesting

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-62058236
irie

Post by irie »

As I emailed our MP, Gillian Keegan, on 11th January 2022:

"Hello, hope you're well.

It's obvious that the PM's days are numbered. He'll have to go with good grace or get elbowed out of the way, his call. You're a nice honest person which is why I voted for you, and in my opinion it would be wise to try to distance yourself as best you can from the PM.

Regards,
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Le_Fromage_Grande

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:27 pm In an ideal world Johnson will call a General Election in a hissy fit (if I'm going down, you're all going down with me'...) :D
Labour still wouldn't get a majority, they'd be lucky to have enough seats to form a coalition, they really are a shower of shit, worse than the current shower of shit.
Honda Owner
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:55 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:27 pm In an ideal world Johnson will call a General Election in a hissy fit (if I'm going down, you're all going down with me'...) :D
Labour still wouldn't get a majority, they'd be lucky to have enough seats to form a coalition, they really are a shower of shit, worse than the current shower of shit.
Dyed in the wool Tory voter, by any chance? :D
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:02 pm

Most voters are dyed in the wool one way or another, Generally people will vote for the party they always vote for. The floating voter makes up a fairly small percentage.
irie

Post by irie »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:30 pm
Most voters are dyed in the wool one way or another, Generally people will vote for the party they always vote for. The floating voter makes up a fairly small percentage.
I am a floating voter.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Le_Fromage_Grande

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:55 pm
No, I think I've mostly voted Lib Dem when I could be arsed to vote, I now live in a very safe seat, we never see a politician, when I lived a mile away in a marginal seat the feckers were always coming round pestering me, I found the best way to get rid of them was to ask what they were going to do about a specific issue, they would mumble a bit and practically run away.

I've also been a member of a few unions, and firmly believe that unions are a good thing, doesn't mean I think unions are always right like some of the fools I worked with.
Honda Owner
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

irie wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:56 pm
wheelnut wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:30 pm
I am a floating voter.
As opposed to a voting floater?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I am another floating voter. I am naturally conservative with a small c, but what I would really like is a left-wing of the Tory party government, with a strong hint of pragmatism, prepared to work with any other party for the good of the country.

That is never on offer, so I support whoever promises to come closest to that ideal. That usually means Conservative, but not if they start getting stupid.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I'm proud of my track record of never having voted Conservative.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Pirahna wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:51 pm I'm proud of my track record of never having voted Conservative.
Why?
Honda Owner