In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
irie

Re: In todays news...

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:58 am
irie wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:48 am
Potter wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:52 am I cannot demonstrably show that masks are helping in any way, ...
Posted this before* but here it is again - the latest research published on the BMJ which among other measures researches mask effectiveness.

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj-2021-068302
My post was just about my data.

I said "I can't" - we've had no increased or decreased incidences of catching covid regardless of mask use, or not.
But "I can" show it's had a detrimental effect, based on a group of about 100k working people.
I have provided evidence that it is most likely that masks do help (after analysis of a large sample size).

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just heard a numpty on the radio moaning about no leccy.

First he said food was going off in the fridge. Hmm, put it outside the back door.
Then said they only had the wood burner to keep warm. Hmm

Hardly stuck out in the Arctic :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Potter

Post by Potter »

irie wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:51 am
I have provided evidence that it is most likely...
I'm not so happy with "likely" or even "most likely", I'm sitting on evidence with a sample size of 100k people and its cold facts. The curves didn't change on transmission regardless of whether masks were mandated indoors or not. I'd be interested on what the military have found where barrack rooms of multiple men live together, in our case it made absolutely no difference.

I'll have a look at what the academics say, but I generally make my decisions based on reality if I can and I feel that's a reasonable sample size to make a judgement, if transmission rates didn't move over months regardless of mask use indoors or not, then I don't think it's a hasty conclusion.

I'm open to be proved wrong in time, sometimes things are true even if it seems the contrary is likely, but it was "most likely" that WMDs existed in Iraq remember.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:43 amThe curves didn't change on transmission regardless of whether masks were mandated indoors or not.
Did anything else change through that period (vaccination, etc.) and do you know how thoroughly various measures were followed or enforced?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The F35 that was reported as crashed in the med last week...

I think I'd have jumped out too.

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

WTF? How did it crash on take off? I thought that bit was relatively simple (from an onlookers POV of course!!!)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

It was going far too slow to ever take off, I dunno if the F35 uses a catapult for take off?
irie

Post by irie »

Noggin wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:25 am WTF? How did it crash on take off? I thought that bit was relatively simple (from an onlookers POV of course!!!)
I think the F35 wasn't going fast enough to develop enough lift to be able to fly after clearing the ramp. The reason(s) for this will become apparent in due course.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Taff

Post by Taff »

It's rumoured that an intake blank was left in the lift fan intake (the open flap behind the cockpit). This provides vertical lift for short take off, or not as it seems to be in this case.

Having worked on RN flight decks, (on sea harriers and lynx) I find it absolutely gob snacking that procedures allow this to happen.
The person that recorded this video and forwarded it on had probably lost their job after spending time in DQs
Taff

Post by Taff »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:36 am It was going far too slow to ever take off, I dunno if the F35 uses a catapult for take off?
Other variants do, the UK opted for the variant with vertical take off / landing and a ski ramp
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I guess not enough vertical thrust then!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taff wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:01 am It's rumoured that an intake blank was left in the lift fan intake (the open flap behind the cockpit). This provides vertical lift for short take off, or not as it seems to be in this case.
I'd have guessed that's unlikely, simply 'cause the fan would 'choke' if the bung was still there. On a plane as sophisticated as the F35 I can't believe the computers wouldn't realise that the fan isn't able to suck enough air in during the preflight....but then stranger things have happened I guess!

It looks like it either doesn't have enough power, or the fan wasn't driving doesn't it? So it could be a "simple" engine failure or maybe the fan drive system broke. It uses a driveshaft and clutch pack to turn the lift fan using the engine, if either of those two bits failed the fan wouldn't make any vertical lift.

irie

Post by irie »

Judging by what Dazzle said above, my guess is that there was a sudden failure which triggered the avionics to instruct the pilot to eject. But hey, what do I know.
Taff

Post by Taff »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:23 am
Taff wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:01 am It's rumoured that an intake blank was left in the lift fan intake (the open flap behind the cockpit). This provides vertical lift for short take off, or not as it seems to be in this case.
I'd have guessed that's unlikely, simply 'cause the fan would 'choke' if the bung was still there. On a plane as sophisticated as the F35 I can't believe the computers wouldn't realise that the fan isn't able to suck enough air in during the preflight....but then stranger things have happened I guess!

It looks like it either doesn't have enough power, or the fan wasn't driving doesn't it? So it could be a "simple" engine failure or maybe the fan drive system broke. It uses a driveshaft and clutch pack to turn the lift fan using the engine, if either of those two bits failed the fan wouldn't make any vertical lift.

As I said, the intake blank being in place is just the rumour that's going on in the fleet air arm groups (which is likely to have come from someone onboard) , and the general consensus is that it's unbelievable for that to happen but here we are with a very waterlogged cab.

Iirc the fan only spins up when the rear nozzle is rotated downwards and it does that in a very short time, virtually a crash engagement. And yes, warnings would have been screaming at him hence the ejection.
It's all guesswork until it's recovered and the AIB investigation is published, assuming we recover it before the Chinese get there.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taff wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:07 am and it does that in a very short time, virtually a crash engagement
Yeah that clutch is a very impressive bit of kit. I was working at R-R when it was being developed (working in a different dept) and they were very proud of it, so it was always in company bulletins. It's something mad like 15,000bhp engaged in half a second.
Taff

Post by Taff »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:46 am
Taff wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:07 am and it does that in a very short time, virtually a crash engagement
Yeah that clutch is a very impressive bit of kit. I was working at R-R when it was being developed (working in a different dept) and they were very proud of it, so it was always in company bulletins. It's something mad like 15,000bhp engaged in half a second.
I was working in (but not for) R-R in Filton and there was a buzz about the place for the clutch and nozzle rotation mechanism, and the engineering challenge to get them to work. 👍
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Taff wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:07 am

It's all guesswork until it's recovered and the AIB investigation is published, assuming we recover it before the Chinese get there.

As it fell off the front of the carrier, I'd like to think the Chinese getting there first would be difficult.

But this is the Navy we're talking about and their desire to sit around in the same place is limited I think. :lol:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yambo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:05 pm
Taff wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:07 am

As it fell off the front of the carrier, I'd like to think the Chinese getting there first would be difficult.

But this is the Navy we're talking about and their desire to sit around in the same place is limited I think. :lol:
The BBC news article says they (the Navy) can't find it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

irie wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:13 am Judging by what Dazzle said above, my guess is that there was a sudden failure which triggered the avionics to instruct the pilot to eject. But hey, what do I know.
The Soviet VTOL naval aircraft (Yak-38?) had an auto eject feature to save the pilot if things went belly up during the hover. I think they had to disable it after a few inadvertent ejections!

In fact IIRC the prototype of the super sonic successor to said aircraft was actually bought by Lockheed in the 90's when they were first developing the JSF, which ultimately became the F-35.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Saga Lout wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:33 pm
millemille wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:12 pm
Mask wearing smacks to me of being an easy action to take by the government; it doesn't cost the treasury anything and it appeals to a certain set of voters.
And they're a visible symbol of compliance.
FFS, most things we do are a ‘visible sign of compliance’. We pay our taxes, we do 30 in a 30 limit, we try not to murder people too often, it’s not an onerous law and it certainly doesn’t infringe on ‘your liberty’ any more than any other law.