XJ1300 ???

Anything you like about motorbikes
Noggin

XJ1300 ???

Post by Noggin »

Someone ever so slightly mad has said that if I can insure his 'spare' XJ1300 (might be an XJR, I can't remember!!) I can borrow it for a couple of months!!!!! :o :o :o :o

So, I have to see if my insurance guy will be able to insure a UK reg motorbike for me to ride but owned by someone else :?: :?:

I'm guessing that won't happen, so the bike is safe!! But Damn it would be fun if it did happen!!

It lives about 5.5 hours from me but they said they'd bring it up here. I've sat on it and the arm position is really good for the bad one, AND, best of all, I can get the balls of my feet down on both sides :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've never owned a bike I could do that on!! :lol: :lol:

Sooo - bets taken - will I be able to insure it over here???
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
KungFooBob

Re: XJ1300 ???

Post by KungFooBob »

No idea about insurance, but XJR's are 'proper' motorcycles, on the list to own someday.
Skub

Post by Skub »

By all accounts they are a very pleasant bike to ride in a relaxed manner,but I've seen them hustled on effectively too.

I reckon it'll be fun and you'll get it insured for 50p. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I suspect that the insurance thing will be the big issue. Insuring someone else's bike for me to ride could be the stumbling block. But I'm hoping the guy comes back to me with a solution!! :D :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Are you not covered for third party risks to ride other bikes not belonging to you?

My current car or bike insurance allows me to do that.
Walt Whitman
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Skub wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:35 pm Are you not covered for third party risks to ride other bikes not belonging to you?

My current car or bike insurance allows me to do that.
I don't have bike insurance here yet (arguably I should have had the Ducati insured but as it's not had a battery and the engine didn't work, I could get away without insuring it!)

Very much doubt my transit insurance will allow that

But the biggest thing is - I really don't want to ride someone else's bike on 3rd party!!!! You know, fuck up fairy and all that!!!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Car and van insurance often allows you 3rd party cover on any vehicle, which includes motorcycles. At least in the UK anyway.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Noggin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:41 pm
But the biggest thing is - I really don't want to ride someone else's bike on 3rd party!!!! You know, fuck up fairy and all that!!!
Anyone else and I'd say not to worry,but yeah,you are right. :lol:
Walt Whitman
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Skub wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:44 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:41 pm
Anyone else and I'd say not to worry,but yeah,you are right. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I did wonder at you suggesting it!! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
G.P

Post by G.P »

Or get him to insure it (at your cost) with you as a named rider and have 90Days cover outside of UK...
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

G.P wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:49 pm Or get him to insure it (at your cost) with you as a named rider and have 90Days cover outside of UK...
That will be the next step if my broker can't/won't do what we'd like!!

Although, not sure he can insure it in the uk as they've moved here so don't have an address there now. Will have to see what the insurance guy says
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Is it UK or French registered?

Coz here it's illegal for me to ride a UK bike here on my Spanish licence.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:49 pm Is it UK or French registered?

Coz here it's illegal for me to ride a UK bike here on my Spanish licence.
Its UK registered

But, currently I still have a UK licence and it's legal to ride here on French insurance with a UK licence (till the end of December) - just not sure I can get the insurance cos it's a UK bike not owned by me!
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

They're heavy bastards.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bigjawa wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:41 pm They're heavy bastards.
But probably not the heaviest I've ridden!! LOL It didn't seem that bad to sit on and get upright. But I didn't ride it :)
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:43 pm Car and van insurance often allows you 3rd party cover on any vehicle, which includes motorcycles. At least in the UK anyway.
Check your policy, that's how all mine used to be, not any more! Not quite sure when that got removed without them telling me/me noticing but I had reason to check recently and are no longer covered!
Other bikes on the bike policy, cars on the car policy but no more 'vehicle not belonging to you'.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Its a moot point now.

The bike is UK reg and the owners are French residents
I can't get insurance to ride it
Not up for asking them to insure it for me

The biggest thing - it needs to be in the process of being French registered, which it isn't, to be allowed to be insured here. And the police are stopping UK reg vehicles to check this

So, it was a lovely offer but it isn't possible. Just have to wait on the Monster :D :D
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Hairybiker84 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:33 am
KungFooBob wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:43 pm Car and van insurance often allows you 3rd party cover on any vehicle, which includes motorcycles. At least in the UK anyway.
Check your policy, that's how all mine used to be, not any more! Not quite sure when that got removed without them telling me/me noticing but I had reason to check recently and are no longer covered!
Other bikes on the bike policy, cars on the car policy but no more 'vehicle not belonging to you'.
You have to confirm it when you take out the policy, it's now a specific thing you need to request, and check that is still there when they send you the 'super-duper renewal price offer'.
non quod, sed quomodo
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Noggin wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:34 am it needs to be in the process of being French registered, which it isn't, to be allowed to be insured here. And the police are stopping UK reg vehicles to check this
So the french traf-pol are checking that people are obeying the law? The bastards!

;)
non quod, sed quomodo
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Rockburner wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:53 am
Noggin wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:34 am it needs to be in the process of being French registered, which it isn't, to be allowed to be insured here. And the police are stopping UK reg vehicles to check this
So the french traf-pol are checking that people are obeying the law? The bastards!

;)
Not at all. They are quite right to

The difference is that in the past people have been able to drive UK reg vehicles knowing they'll probably get a pull if they do something wrong but not just because they are driving a UK reg vehicle.

It's why I'm struggling at the mo. I had been trying to get my transit sorted for about 18 months (still late but we used to get a lot of leeway). Trying = finding out late that I can't get a full CoC, that I need to go to DREAL (VOSA), and that I'd need it roadworthy (full MOT equivalent) to get a DREAL pass. Then trying to find someone to do welding at a price I could afford!!
The Transit has been parked up for a year because I can't afford the welding but also can't take it back to the UK yet. As soon as I can I'll do that. But I can't risk driving it around locally for stuff now

Same with the bike - even if I could get it insured, it's not worth the hassle now as I know it isn't in process of being registered here. I guess I could say I'm going through the process for the transit but I know I'm not, so not worth it!