60 Second Safety #02 Filtering in heavy traffic

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
The Spin Doctor

60 Second Safety #02 Filtering in heavy traffic

Post by The Spin Doctor »

As the traffic slows I'm keeping well back and wide for a good view ahead and behind. I can move out once the car coming the other way is clear.

Speed? Slow enough to stop almost dead.

I'm watching for GAPS. They are TRAPS that could hide emerging vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists - even scooters whizzing out from the inside.

Two lanes are forming so vehicles could edge out to the right.

The van blocks my view and on the other side of the road there's a parked car.

Now with oncoming vehicles I'm looking for a landing zone to pull back into.

The parked vehicle has moved away so there's enough space to continue to filter cautiously.

The bus is another Vision Blocker.

The traffic light ahead is still red so do I stop now, or carry on up to the STOP line? Will it change? Is there space to stop ahead?

Red and amber. Check left and right for pedestrians. Check left and right for other vehicles including emergency services and cyclists...

...and green. Just watch for a car trying to pass on my nearside.

[This is the second in the 60 Second Safety series and it's still definitely work in progress - I'm still getting the hang of putting these short videos together!]
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills