How much is your next motorbike likely to cost ?

Anything you like about motorbikes

How much will you spend ?

£0>£2000
7%
£2000>£4000
10%
£4000>£6000
34%
£6000>£9999
28%
£10,000>£14000
14%
£14000>£20000
3%
£20000+
3%

Total votes: 29

weeksy
Site Admin

How much is your next motorbike likely to cost ?

Post by weeksy »

I wonder if some/many are like me with how they view prices these days, i see £15,000 bikes as bonkers... But then i see £30,000+ cars are completely batshit crazy..

My threshold for a bike i'd say is £8000 and even that is stretching it for me... But if wanting to stay newish, that's limiting my options a lot...

So what's your likely next motorbike going to cost?
Bigjawa

Re: How much is your next motorbike likely to cost ?

Post by Bigjawa »

Whatever a new Himalayan costs, so 4k ish.

I'm loath to spend big money on vehicles, 15k on a bike or 30k on a car is lunacy to me.
Druid

Post by Druid »

Like you I think new bike ( and car) prices are daft. My last couple of bikes cost £5000 and I can't see me spending any more than that on the next one
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Depends how much I can shift the Guzzi for.

I might be able to scrape together about £6k.... which is the most I've ever spent on a bike.

My next car will probably be £10-12k depending what I can get for my part-ex, £10k is the most I've ever spent on a car.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I've no plans for another bike, but it'd be at the cheaper end of the market.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

The last few bikes I have had I have bought new. I usually get a servicing deal thrown in so that's two years stress free. I don't plan on buying another for a couple of years and who knows what my circumstances will be when I do.
Lockdown refugee
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

All of the above, but £20k is probably taking the piss.

I don't really set a budget for things, bikes or otherwise. I see something I like then I work out if I think the price is worth it :D
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Yeah as I said in another tread I've stopped looking at some new bike tests as the prices are so high I don't bother. Case in point the new 44 Teeth test of the new 1290, I almost watched it and then thought what's the point I'll never be able to afford one.

My 690 is the most I've ever spent on a bike at £6300 new. Although adjusted for inflation it seems I paid £8800 for my new Fazer 600 in 1999 :shock:

Next bike is likely to be an XSR/Tracer or Z9 and all 2nd hand prices have gone up in the last 6 months so we'll see if they stay that way. Ideally I want newer than 2016 (age of my 690) and less miles. I'm hoping the max I'll spend is £7k but happier with £6k. I suspect I'll be going a bit over the £7k but we'll see. It's even bought the GSXS back into contention as budget though they are....they are cheap!

Same as my car it was £10k and that's about my limit. I had a budget of 9-12k. After visiting a couple of dealers I nearly ended up being suckered into £14k before finding the Mazda. My Dad gets WhatCar off his neighbour and average family hatchbacks are often £25k plus and into the low £30k's with toys.

As far as I can see PCP has seen absolute prices rocket as people just see the monthly's and not the total.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Hmmm let's look at the trend of my new bike biking history;

Peugeot speedfight 120, £?? dunno, a couple of grand maybe, probably less
CCM R30, £5000
Speed Triple, £10,000
Fat Bob, £15,000
Next, £ not difficult to extrapolate £20,000+ if I go brand new again, but I've no plans anytime soon.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Depends what I want or need to use it for really, use dictates the type and cost of bike.
Current bike cost me sub-4k but only does 6 miles day, if I were commuting big distances again it would be something costlier and most likely newer.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

I have bought bikes at full price from dealers, each time believing that I would keep the bike 'forever' and thus justifying the purchase (at the time I had money - inheritance iirc). Never worked out that way, though, and the last bike I bought was about 3K, over 10 years old, and I can't see any reason not to keep it 'forever' because even a 10+year old bike is now actually a reliable every day machine.

But now I wouldn't countenance buying new at all. Yes I might be able to buy the latest and greatest, but that's not what I want any more, so I'm utterly uninterested in new bikes now, especially at the prices they're offered at.
non quod, sed quomodo
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The GSXR was €15k which is a lot, but it was in a promotion reduced from €19,500. It's still worth nearly what I paid for it.

I fancy a new Husky, but that's another 10k which I can't justify when I'll just crash it a lot and there's nowt wrong with my current Husky.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I get the heebyjeebys if I spend more than 2k on a vehicle.
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

Not in the market for another bike but if I was it would be used and probably similar to what I paid for my last one (around the £5k mark). If I get a new (used) bike my wife would probably want one too.... Since I was happy with my last bike but the second she got her Tiger I decided it was time for a change :lol:

Happy with reliability of bikes so wouldn't see a need for new, plus I don't want to be beholden to finance and the final value.

Which is a lot more than I'd spend on a car... Last car I bought was about seven years ago and was a couple of grand. It's either going to die a death with us or if someone prangs it it'll get written off in a flash. I used to sit with people who paid £200 to £500 finance monthly just to commute four miles each way, never could understand that.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I think I've probably bought my last bike (KTM Duke 690) and that was at the end of 2017. I've got more bikes than I can honestly use and they do all that I need or want. But new prices are bonkers, especially for the desirable stuff. Like Supermofo, I simply don't bother looking at new bike tests much any more, as it's all immaterial - I'll never afford one. If I was 20 years younger I'd probably be angling for a V4 Tuono, but for me now they're just OTT both in price and performance.

We're all conditioned to want more, more more, but sometimes you need to step back and realise that what you have is fine for what you need.

And yes, I'm sure PCP has inflated prices of bikes and cars. I require ownership, not renting/leasing, but appreciate that it opens up the mirage of 'owning' a better spec bike than you could afford if buying outright.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

As my bikes are commuters, I try to buy for what an annual season ticket costs. The theory being, if I get two years out of the bike, then the extra years savings over a second season ticket has covered consumables and servicing and often as not a fair chunk of petrol too. Its a very financially viable plan or would be if I didn't have the attention span of a 5 year old and keep changing my bikes! :roll:

This plan was formed when my season ticket was c£2k though and now its over £4k. That should be a good thing as in theory I can buy nicer bikes to commute on, but when I do, it pisses me off to see bikes over £4k being ruined by being a year round commuter, so I tend to favour old snotters. Or, I try to keep under £4k or buy a £1k scooter and play round changing £3k bikes for fun, sort of, kind of, wind in the right direction type thing. :crazy:

tldr: £4k max.
Potter

Post by Potter »

If I like it and really want it then it will cost whatever it costs.

There isn't anything I want to spend my money on, so at the moment it would have to be very cheap to tempt me to buy something that I only half want because it's cheap.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I honestly don't know, but like young Potter, it would have to be something that I really wanted, there's nothing that appeals to me enough to spend much money.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:59 pm I honestly don't know, but like young Potter, it would have to be something that I really wanted, there's nothing that appeals to me enough to spend much money.
I thought the Z900RS was getting some attentive glances from you ?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

weeksy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:05 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:59 pm I honestly don't know, but like young Potter, it would have to be something that I really wanted, there's nothing that appeals to me enough to spend much money.
I thought the Z900RS was getting some attentive glances from you ?
Yes, but it doesn't quite do it, for £10K I've got to really want it, I really like this

But I don't think Honda are going to make it, but if they do I'm guessing it will be £15K
Honda Owner