60 Second Safety #01

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
The Spin Doctor

60 Second Safety #01

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Since last spring when we were still locked down, I've been producing a series of quick-fire 'better biking' videos each aimed at explaining one particular issue. This is the first... looking back, my production quality has improved a bit ;)

*** 60 Second Safety *** #01 - nearside junctions on rural roads
60 Second Safety is a series of short 'Better Biking' videos from Survival Skills Rider Training.

Welcome to the first of a new series of quickfire looks at hazards we're likely to encounter on the roads.

First I'll focus on the clues we need to spot, then I'll suggest steps we can take to reduce risk.

So here's our first video clip.

What can we see? The road sign tells us there's a junction ahead on the left and that we need to reduce speed now - there's also SLOW painted on the road.

But where's the hazard?

Is it the works entrance on the left? No. It's too close to the sign.

What about this driveway? Probably not although the mirror tells us the owner can't see out of it.

So let's carry on around the corner.

It must be this side turning out of sight around the bend, it's only visible at the last moment.

Remember - warning signs often tell us about hazards we can't see until the last second.

MORE INFO: Many of us tend to think that junction collisions happen in built-up areas. Well, it's true that MOST crashes involving motorcycles and other vehicles do happen on urban roads, but out on a rural road like this one, we're travelling a lot more quickly. And that means the turning driver has less time to see us and if we can't avoid a collision , the impact is going to be a heavy one.

Not surprisingly, collisions at the kind of junction you'll see in this video cause a lot of fatal crashes on the UK's rural roads.

============================
ENJOYED THIS VIDEO?
Find the earlier videos in the
60 SECOND SAFETY series
on my YouTube channel at:
www.youtube.com/survivalskillsuk

Get even more SUPPORTER &
SUBSCRIBER CONTENT in the archive at:
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills
==============================
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
iansoady

Re: 60 Second Safety #01

Post by iansoady »

Handy little reminder - look forward to the others.
Horse

Post by Horse »

iansoady wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:24 am Handy little reminder - look forward to the others.
No need to wait:

https://youtube.com/c/survivalskillsuk

There's about 30 of the '60 seconds' and 140 'Elevenses'.

Plus the interviews - some really interesting subjects - and other riding stuff, sort of 'proto 60 seconds'.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

I'll be adding the others on a weekly basis. :) As they go up most Thursdays on FB, I'll post them then :)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills