Courtesy bike whilst they service the Tiger: Street Triple R

Anything you like about motorbikes
gremlin

Courtesy bike whilst they service the Tiger: Street Triple R

Post by gremlin »

As I rocked up this morning I saw a shiny, new Tiger GT-Pro 900 outside, which I thought I was going get to play on. But no, they wheeled out a 21 plate Striple R. Fair play, change is as good as a rest, as they say.

First impressions as I sat on was, 'Where's the bike?'. Small doesn't even come close, Not so much low, but just short and narrow. Felt like my knees were touching. Set off and straight away the difference in riding position became very apparent, feeling like I was tipping forward and I could feel the weight on my wrists more then I remembered from other similar bikes. That and the narrow seat meant both wrists and testicles seemed to be taking all my weight.

Engine-wise, it's eager. Very eager when given its head. I had it in 'Road' mode and it was chomping at the bit a-plenty, though the traffic was being a PITA this morning, along with the myriad of speeding devices that litter the route. I was really expecting it to be a bit more revvy, but it's still quite languid in low revs, coming to life only when ragged a bit, though smooth as you like, with that engine/exhaust note you only get from the Triumph triple. Standard exhaust sounded a bit muted, mind. Arrow can would be a must.

In comparison to the Tiger, the instrument panel is almost under your nose, with these odd blue lights on top, indicating, I'm guessing, your approach to the red line. Not sure why they're there, as I just found them a distraction. I'm surprised they haven't thrown a full TFT screen on it. I know many of the newer Triumphs have them.

My only disappointment in the package was the cornering. Maybe I'm out of practice but when I did find a curve or roundabout it felt like it needed too much heaving over, rather then just dropping in. I suspect this is more me than the bike, as people rave about it's 'flickability'. Maybe I'm too much into pushing on the big wide bars of the Tiger rather than shifting weight on the seat like some circus ape.

Looks wise, I like it. All grey and red and aggressive angles. Looks like a quality bit of kit, as well. I'm very impressed with the Tiger's build quality, albeit I'm having to have the right hand switch gear changed today (£85+vat+fitting. Could have been worse).

Would I have one? No, but that's more a reflection on the bike's target demographic audience being 25 years my junior I would imagine. :)
Mr Moofo

Re: Courtesy bike whilst they service the Tiger: Street Triple R

Post by Mr Moofo »

when I rode on a while ago, I thought it was lovely. But tiny - and I'm not.
Stunning quick - and I thought it handled really well!
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I like them! I had the standard 2009 which I had to wait six months for as there was a waiting list for them then and went on a factory tour to see them being built. After 63k miles I traded it in for a 2012 R with Arrows which I did 50k on and then traded that in for the 2019 RS which is now up to 24k. It has lots of toys as standard that the others don't have, traction control, quick shitter, slipper clutch, bar end mirrors, fancy dash. After it's recent big service, new tyre, new clutch and brakes I've never been happier with a bike.

I have concerns about the clutch as I'm on my third, one was a recall and one a warranty claim. A friend told me he knew someone who used one for track day fun but gave up with it because of clutch problems.

In the horses for courses sense, it's the right bike for me on UK roads.
Lockdown refugee
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Trinity765 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:00 pm quick shitter,
I have that with too much shellfish. :o

Just got back from picking my Tiger up. On the way there, the roads were quieter and the sun was shining. You could almost think spring was here. Anyhow, changed the setting to 'Sport' or whatever the quicker one is called. Made quite a difference to the exhaust note and the throttle response. I found out the brakes were quite good thanks to Selsden's elderly driving population. I even managed to crack a smile on some roundabouts once I managed to convince my hips that I was a young buck once again. God, I'll regret that tomorrow.....

I will stand by thoughts on size though. Contrary to other fields of interest, it does matter with bikes. How anybody over six foot could get comfy on the Striple and not need a chiropractor on standby I do not know. The Tiger is a lovely place to be, all upright and squishy gel seat and wind protection. My arms are free to pursue a life free of torture,and let's not even discuss the discomfort my testicles had to endure on the Striple. :lol:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

gremlin wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:13 pm My arms are free to pursue a life free of torture,and let's not even discuss the discomfort my testicles had to endure on the Striple. :lol:
Perhaps it's because I don't have testicles :thumbup: I had TechSpec tank grips on the first two Streets which helped with braking and I'll get them for this one soon - maybe before Pembrey.
Lockdown refugee
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Trinity765 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:21 pm
Perhaps it's because I don't have testicles
I'm starting to question whether I've got any left after today. ;)
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Just because...
Attachments
STRS.jpg
STRS.jpg (142.83 KiB) Viewed 469 times
STR.jpg
STR.jpg (48.34 KiB) Viewed 469 times
ST.jpg
ST.jpg (894.64 KiB) Viewed 469 times
Lockdown refugee
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I'm surprised the ladies of the Gremlin household let him take his testicles out for the day.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:39 pm I'm surprised the ladies of the Gremlin household let him take his testicles out for the day.
I've met Mrs G. She rools the roost.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

gremlin wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:06 pm First impressions as I sat on was, 'Where's the bike?'. Small doesn't even come close, Not so much low, but just short and narrow. Felt like my knees were touching. Set off and straight away the difference in riding position became very apparent, feeling like I was tipping forward and I could feel the weight on my wrists more then I remembered from other similar bikes. That and the narrow seat meant both wrists and testicles seemed to be taking all my weight.
S'why I didn't replace my binned speed triple with a new striple
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Tall blokes can look silly on them :cry:
Lockdown refugee
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:00 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:39 pm I'm surprised the ladies of the Gremlin household let him take his testicles out for the day.
I've met Mrs G. She rools the roost.
Ain't no arguing with that!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I noticed the newbie 660 s version is available at 7.5k new. Seems good value, only a few hundred more but 15bhp up on the Trident.

https://www.lind.co.uk/used/triumph/str ... /70964.htm