New rider advice

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
tricol

New rider advice

Post by tricol »

Morning all,

So, I am just 100 miles into motorbike ownership/riding. It's been a real thrill so far, not being hooked up to an earpiece being reminded of those lifesavers every 2 seconds. Lots of what I learnt has stuck thankfully, and I feel (quietly) confident on the new Trident. Last night I got out for another quick spin as the roads were dry and the sun was out, although not very warm yet. I found that I was fluffing quite a few of my gear changes. Now, I'm sure it will come good with more and more miles, but on a few occasions I was missing changes altogether, rather than just not being smooth. I learnt on an SV650 mostly (about an hour on a Z650, too) and I didn't seem to have as many issues with that changing on that. It feels like the gear shifter is much closer to the footpeg on the Trident that on the SV. Or maybe not and I need to work on my foot position.

- Does anyone have good tips for smoother gear changes?
- Anything else to start working on now I'm in the puppy stage of learning?

I'm sure the fountain of knowledge on here will help!
Rockburner

Re: New rider advice

Post by Rockburner »

Welcome, and well done for jumping into biking. :)

I think the most basic advice at this point will be 'take it easy'. Don't go rushing into road-situations because sometimes you'll get caught out and that can hurt. Basically - ride at comfortable (for you) speeds as you gain in confidence, and don't let anyone else push you into riding in any way that you're not comfortable with. Don't start 'following' other bikes because they appear to know what they're doing. By all means observe and learn, but always ride YOUR ride, go into corners at speeds that YOU are happy with for example.

:)
non quod, sed quomodo
tricol

Post by tricol »

Yea, that is the first thing I've told myself, to ride for myself and well within my comfort zone.

I'm not new to being on 2 two wheels, I'm a keen mountain biker and when I was younger I had a couple of scooters. My only regret was not getting this done much sooner!
Horse

Post by Horse »

When you say 'fluffing', how does it go wrong?

Usual suspects are:
- high hear too soon, engine won't pull comfortably
- rushed, will feel abrupt
- mismatched revs, will feel as if either the brakes are on or the throttle is opened suddenly

You should be able to pivot your toes out around the lever, to be able to press down or lift up the lever. Sat on the bike, engine off, can you do that? Some bikes have adjustments for the lever position - but first, which part of your foot is on the footrest? Instep for gearchanging, ball for spirited cornering.

Do you have very big feet in bulky boots? eg Steel toecaps might restrict moved/space.

If rushed, allow yourself more time. Slow earlier for corners to give space and time.

If lumpy, try to smooth the actions:
- roll the throttle closed as you squeeze the clutch
- press with your toes
- ease out the clutch (don't just let it go)
- match revs; higher revs for down, lower for up

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/p/diy ... g.html?m=1
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
tricol

Post by tricol »

Thanks Horse. I actually think it comes down to not quite getting my toe on the gear lever correctly, maybe slipping off it. It's also mostly shifting up the gears. I'm fine with the clutch side of things. I have RST Tractech EVO 3 boots. They don't feel overly bulky on my feet. The toe box is stiff, that probably needs time to soften a bit.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

@tricol Congratulations, and welcome! And very well done for being keen to learn :thumbup:

Here are a few sources of help and advice to boost your skills?
  • Survival Skills offers both online learning and, better still, on-road skills development. I have done a couple of courses (on-road) and highly recommend it, particularly for a new rider. (It happens to be run by @The Spin Doctor here.)
  • Once you've got a thousand or more miles under your belt, I highly recommend doing a BikeSafe workshop too. They are run across the country.
hawker

Post by hawker »

When I was first learning to ride, an experienced friendDavid, told me that when I passmy test I will think I can ride, but, he said, you can't not really! The first thuing that you should do after passing is sign up for some Advanced Riding Lessons. That will teach all sorts of things that will make you a better and safer rider. I took his advice to heart and did exactly that. It proved to be excellent advice by teaching me about better roadpositioning etc., etc. I started with the Police Instructor to do a BIKE-SAFE course that went well. I remember his comment at the end, " Well that was good, You are clearly not the sort of rider who will go out and immediately kill yourself, but continue with Advanced Training, regardless. Ipssed the IAM- test plus bought the Survival Sklills book and had other training sessions as well. Thank you Kevin, wherever you are!!? :) :thumbup:

David's Advice proved to be invaluable I think, engraining good habits right from the start!
exportman

Post by exportman »

Hello and welcome

I have been riding for over 40 years an IAM Observer and Bikesafe instructor. I am still learning. Take your time, build up your confidence. If something goes wrong don't dwell on it at the time, file it away and review it later when you have time to think about it. We all make mistakes from time to time, hopefully they are not too painful. Above all enjoy riding.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Don't ride like a twat
Honda Owner
tricol

Post by tricol »

Thanks everyone. Yes, very much keen to learn. I have tended to beat myself up quite easily when riding technical stuff on my MTB, so I'll take an easier on myself approach with this.

Extra training is something I'm very much interested in. I have plenty of options near me. I do worry that once I venture a bit further from home after restrictions are lifting I'll come across faster bikers around me and maybe get a bit frustrated.

I suppose I also have to consider I have a brand new bike and that will take time to bed in as the miles pile on.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Ride at your own pace, ride at speeds you feel safe at, it doesn't matter what someone else thinks, you're riding a bike for you, not for someone else.
Honda Owner
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Check your releasing gear lever completely between changes.
Yamaha rocket 3
Horse

Post by Horse »

tricol wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:15 pm I actually think it comes down to not quite getting my toe on the gear lever correctly, maybe slipping off it. It's also mostly shifting up the gears.
Daft as it might sound ...

Work through the actions needed while sat on a 'dining room' or office chair.

Literally mime it all, arms out as if sat on a bike.

Start slowly, gradually build the speed.

Roll close Squeeze clutch lever
Toes lever up
Ease clutch out Roll throttle open

When you're riding, try to feel which actions don't flow and need smoothing.
Skub

Post by Skub »

The gear lever can be adjusted to whatever feels best for you. Coming out of a shop things like clutch and brake levers are usually set too high. Little things add up and can make a big difference ergonomically.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Horse

Post by Horse »

As Skub says, getting the levers comfy and the clutch biting point 'right' really helps.

With relaxed shoulders and a bend at the elbow, forearms should be close to horizontal (makes it easier to steer too), and that line continues straight forearm-hand-fingers over levers .

Clutch biting point ideally where fingers can still curl.

On full right lock, you still need clutch control. Rolling bars (if not the bolt-on variety) 'back' towards you can help.

Gear lever may come straight out of the gearbox, on a splined shaft. If at a really odd angle it can be moved.

If away from that shaft, on a mechanism, sometimes adjustment is possible.
tricol

Post by tricol »

It's a non adjustable clutch for reach. They feel okay other wise, I have big hands. Bit point is quite far out but it isn't a stretch with my hand. Would love to get out again tonight before the crap weather arrives but have other things to be doing.

My arms are in the position above, forearms level. My gloves also need to break in a bit more. I think most of this comes down to my left foot and timing. I'll get there. Thanks again for all the advice.
Horse

Post by Horse »

FWIW this sort of thing is s lot easier to identify and sort 1:1.

They'll be a tad busy when they reopen, but it might be worth going to the training centre and asking there.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Horse wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:57 pm FWIW this sort of thing is s lot easier to identify and sort 1:1.

They'll be a tad busy when they reopen, but it might be worth going to the training centre and asking there.
You are not kidding ..... i have full diary for weeks with a day off set aside for those who dont get through CBT first time to return and work again on it. :thumbup:

Horse gave the suggestion to run through your gear changing sat somewhere which can help but i would also say get on the bike, dont go anywhere and get your foot position on the left peg sorted as its a new bike to you so everything is slightly different. You need to be in the correct position to pivot your left foot out and round the lever for both up and down changes. Look down to start with to make sure your boot is catching the lever in the correct place and repeat this a few times on both up and down to adjust your position to get it spot on. You should be able to feel where your foot is on the peg and then lock that in.

Once you have that sorted then repeat it without looking down and look ahead as you would while riding and all going to plan the same feeling will be there for the position you need. After that then repeat somewhere quiet with plenty of room while riding the bike and always ease out the clutch, never just let it go. This should smooth things out and stop you missing the shift :thumbup:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Let someone else ride it as a comparison. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Horse

Post by Horse »

Bigyin wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:18 pm... without looking down and look ahead as you would while riding
It's amazing the number of people who have to look down at their hands and feet. Trust them to stay where they are, get used to feeling the controls while keeping your head and eyes up.