YAMAHA YZ/RD350 SUPERMOTO BY SPOKEN MOTO

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

YAMAHA YZ/RD350 SUPERMOTO BY SPOKEN MOTO

Post by weeksy »

https://www.bikebound.com/2018/02/16/ya ... supermoto/

As the days pass and we see more bikes, it's getting harder and harder to find things to provoke either interest or discussion. But we'll keep plodding on and seeing what you fellas think.

Yorick

Re: YAMAHA YZ/RD350 SUPERMOTO BY SPOKEN MOTO

Post by Yorick »

The spannies look cool.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Well, its different anyway.
The gold cylinder head fins look a bit John McCriricks watch, dunno why on earth anyone would get a gold anodised cylinderhead* and the styling is a bit Mad Max.
I never knew Banshees only had one carb though. The expansion chambers look like a bit of work unless they are off something else (maybe a Banshee? But obviously I've never even seen one of those so I dunno) and not much work needed? Unless I missed it they didn't say much about the spannies.
By the two filler caps it looks like they kept the autolube so thats a massive plus from me cos premix is a pain in the fucking arse on any bike you have to fill up at a filling station.

*You'll see the jokes on me when an item lands through the post.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Yeah, just checked and the spannies look like they might have been off a Banshee, these aren't exactly the same but they're not a kick in the arse off the same style.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Loads of work gone into that. The writeup is interesting.

A stroker with a nitrous button.... :shock:

I keeping thinking I'd rather have a nicely sorted TDR,but I can appreciate the engineering gone into this bike. The visuals might grow on me.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Skub

Post by Skub »

demographic wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:31 pm
I never knew Banshees only had one carb though. The expansion chambers look like a bit of work unless they are off something else (maybe a Banshee? But obviously I've never even seen one of those so I dunno) and not much work needed? Unless I missed it they didn't say much about the spannies.
Once we modified the frame to accommodate the RD motor, we really wanted to run the chambers up high and tight to the cylinders. That required running a single carb — banshee style. My tuner gave me crap about sacrificing top end so I thought a shot of nitrous would keep him quiet.

The chambers are actually FMF Fatty Banshee pipes that we cut into pieces and rebuilt to fit.
Walt Whitman
demographic

Post by demographic »

Skub wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:10 pm
Once we modified the frame to accommodate the RD motor, we really wanted to run the chambers up high and tight to the cylinders. That required running a single carb — banshee style. My tuner gave me crap about sacrificing top end so I thought a shot of nitrous would keep him quiet.

The chambers are actually FMF Fatty Banshee pipes that we cut into pieces and rebuilt to fit.
Ah, 2/10 for my reading comprehension then.
To be fair, that article did have a shitload of filler to make up the wordcount.
Ideally they talk less about the people and more about the bike.
Skub

Post by Skub »

demographic wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:18 pm Ideally they talk less about the people and more about the bike.
You sound like me there,demo. :lol:

Having said that,they do sound like interesting company.
Walt Whitman
G.P

Post by G.P »

Its bonkers, I love it, but having ridden a YZ490, i'd rather it had a 490 unit in it.
Still, most interesting "custom" posted for a while.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Ya can't just cut and chop expansion chambers. They're designed to an exact spec. Otherwise you'll lose power.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Yorick wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:05 pm Ya can't just cut and chop expansion chambers. They're designed to an exact spec. Otherwise you'll lose power.
You can however cut them at the welds and rotate them to another angle which may or may not help the fit without changing the cone dimensions as far as the engine is concerned.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

demographic wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:15 pm
Yorick wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:05 pm Ya can't just cut and chop expansion chambers. They're designed to an exact spec. Otherwise you'll lose power.
You can however cut them at the welds and rotate them to another angle which may or may not help the fit without changing the cone dimensions as far as the engine is concerned.
Ooooooooo. Get her...
demographic

Post by demographic »

Yorick wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:16 pm Ooooooooo. Get her...
There's a reason I know that trick and its possible I might have to do it myself before too long.
I used to be a coded welder a long time ago and as long as I scrounge a welder up I'll give it a bash.

I have other spannies I can use but theres one tank I would rather use on the bike and that one has clearance issues with the standard spannie.
The one I might end up adjusting never really fit but I suspect was badly jigged when manufactured.
Or put it this way, its buggerall use as it is and with luck I'll be able to salvage it.
Potter

Post by Potter »

That's the bit that killed my pig really, he deliberately built in a fault, then added something else to try and mitigate it.
I don't like how it looks, but I'd have given him kudos for the build, but designing in faults and adding bolt-on NOS to make up for it just says poor designer to me.

I come from an era when custom bikes were done to make them better than the mass produced standard stuff, but he's deliberately made it a fundamentally more flawed bike than anything that left the factory.