Formula 1, 2021 season, tips, info, pics, thread.

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
weeksy
Site Admin

Formula 1, 2021 season, tips, info, pics, thread.

Post by weeksy »

https://www.crash.net/f1

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/972710/1/ ... ates-day-3

Putting this thread here for you lot to discuss the upcoming F1 season. It's not a thing for me as i have no interest, but i know some do.
Nobby

Re: Formula 1, 2021 season, tips, info, pics, thread.

Post by Nobby »

Ferrari to win the first five races.
Hamilton throws his toys out and walks.
Vettel gets his arse handed to him by Stroll
Damon Hill steps in to replace George, and is leading on the last lap , when up steps Mick and nerfs him off into the barrier.
Red Bull ramp up the Batteries which overheat. The fire can't be put for 6 hours.
Environmentalists pitch up at the following round ,invade the pitch, dig sections and poor oil over the place. George Davis was innocent.
McLaren announces that they have sold all to a German manufacturer.
I stay awake for at least 2 of the races.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I'm sitting here trying to work out how I get to see motorsports out here. It doesn't seem that simple even in French!!

But, about to order a tv box to go with the internet - I think I can see some of it through that - and it will help improve my French!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Hard to see anything but Hamilton pissing off into the distance with Bottas trailing behind getting in Verstappens way.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Redbull and Max win the first few before Mercedes sort out their floor and reliability and then Lewis will romp away.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Not sure about this new format. In fact, having watched the last couple of programs, I'm not even sure what's exactly happened.

I think Hamilton just "won" the grid order for a sprint. The second thing I think (practice 2??) was just driving around needlessly.

So I am expecting a "sprint" to see who qualifies first on the grid for the actual race OR it could be a separate thing entirely and then we get "real" qualifying" before the actual race. <dunno>
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Yesterday's quali was for today's sprint race, and if I've got the right end of the stick the sprint race results give the grid positions for Sunday's race.

Which is all a load of smoke n mirrors pony show, no team is going to risk their car in a sprint race for 3 points and grid position, it'll be a procession, albeit with maybe some of the whipper snappers at the back going full kamikaze mode.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Really not liking that qualifying results are based on the sprint race rather than how fast the drivers qualified.
It also penalises people like Russel who really, really outperformed his car in 'quali' and then was likely to fall back a bit in the sprint race and will likely see him fall back more in the full race. Feels like his first points of the season are being snatched from him....though hopefully he (and Williams) by some minor miracle manage to still be in the points at the end of the race.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Bit rich for Horner to be so critical of Hamiltons driving given Max's track record for what he calls "hard racing" and frequently bumping wheels with many other drivers. No mention of Max weaving side to side the whole way along the straight on lap 1 when one move is permitted. I am no Hamilton fan boi but it was a racing move that went wrong and nine times out of ten the other driver catches the slide, rejoins and loses a couple of places instead of a 51G sideways impact into the tyre wall.

Funnily enough i have only watched MotoGP at Silverstone once and was stood at that exact spot ...... i wouldnt pay to go see F1 though
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

That is not correct. Only one move is permitted in the braking area. Excessive weaving down the straight is frowned upon but Max was trying to break the tow, not interfere with anyone mid corner.

Hamilton torpedoed Max up the inside on the fastest corner on the circuit.

Punted him off into hospital. Should have been a drive through stop-go. Not a meaningless slap on the wrist. He has benefitted too much from his mistake.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

+1 Racing move.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:39 pm That is not correct. Only one move is permitted in the braking area. Excessive weaving down the straight is frowned upon but Max was trying to break the tow, not interfere with anyone mid corner.
And thats why opinions vary.

I saw a driver initially trying to break a tow but also weaving on any straight bit of track to block an attack. As soon as he stopped the weaving on the old pit straight and maintained a straight line for 50m Hamilton tried up the inside into Copse forcing Max to keep a central line. He knew Max races hard and closes the door on opponents so backed out of it on turn in and sure enough Max closed the door quickly instead of leaving racing room which he could have done maintaining a central or even a wide line but went for the apex. End result was a rear tyre clip and off he went.

Sometimes hard racing works in your favour and intimidates opponents as they know you will force it and it makes them think twice but sometimes it bites you on the arse
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

You can't "force" anyone out of the way from behind. Max was entitled to take the corner as he saw fit. After turning in, onboard footage shows he opens the steering slightly to give Lewis the one car width he has to allow. Lewis took two.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:06 pm You can't "force" anyone out of the way from behind. Max was entitled to take the corner as he saw fit. After turning in, onboard footage shows he opens the steering slightly to give Lewis the one car width he has to allow. Lewis took two.

Again we disagree.... He was alongside before turn in and if he was backing out of the move how could he have taken more width as you say 2 cars , more speed carries you wide, less lets you turn in

i wont continue as its pointless. You have your opinion, i have mine, neither will change ;)
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Show me a picture where he is "alongside" without using the words "almost", "nearly" or "not quite".

He had an overspeed on Max, Max was at the very limit of being able to make the corner on a compromised, defensive line, Lewis dived up the inside with no possibility of making the corner without intersecting the racing line with Max.

Max had the option to back out to avoid a collision but Lewis was never in front of him, therefore Max was entitled to take the racing line. Lewis' job in attempting to overtake was to avoid causing an accident.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

If you go racing, put your big boy pants on. It is racing, they make hard moves on each other, one has more experience, the other has more hunger perhaps? Hamilton was racing, as was Verstappen, both went at it hard and that is how it pans out.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I don't understand the relevance of the "more speed carries you wide" comment. You say that as if that "proves" Lewis was not two car widths away from the apex when he clearly was.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

the_priest wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:16 am If you go racing, put your big boy pants on. It is racing, they make hard moves on each other, one has more experience, the other has more hunger perhaps? Hamilton was racing, as was Verstappen, both went at it hard and that is how it pans out.
In some ways I agree but I can't see any circumstance where Lewis stuffing it up the inside does not result in a collision or at best, Max having to run off the track. You're not supposed to do that when attempting an overtake - from behind.

Even if you are for one fraction of a second, almost alongside.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:23 am
the_priest wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:16 am If you go racing, put your big boy pants on. It is racing, they make hard moves on each other, one has more experience, the other has more hunger perhaps? Hamilton was racing, as was Verstappen, both went at it hard and that is how it pans out.
In some ways I agree but I can't see any circumstance where Lewis stuffing it up the inside does not result in a collision or at best, Max having to run off the track. You're not supposed to do that when attempting an overtake - from behind.

Even if you are for one fraction of a second, almost alongside.
Verstappen and Horner are coming out all whiny pants. Max has "form" - it's hard racing - and it is the stuff that Max deals out but he is obviously not big enough to take it.