Brake Calipers

Anything you like about motorbikes
Noggin

Brake Calipers

Post by Noggin »

How easy/difficult is it to service brake calipers?

Do you need special tools?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Brake Calipers

Post by weeksy »

Hmmm. Yeah you do. But they're easy enough to buy.

What bike?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Not really, however if the pistons are stuck, there is a special tool to remove them, but I've never needed one.
Skub

Post by Skub »

It's easier to work the piston/s out evenly while still connected to the system. Like most jobs it's handy enough if nothing is seized.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I service my own calipers.

A quick service (without taking the calipers off completely or removing the pistons) is very easy. Squirt a bit of brake cleaner around, use a toothbrush to get in the narrow bits and a bit of fine sandpaper on the pad retainer pin.

If you want to remove the caliper/pistons completely you'll need a brake bleeding kit and as brake fluid is corrosive, you'll need to be careful.

There's some really good Youtube tutorials for doing it - shall I find you one?

What bike do you have and do you want to remove the calipers completely and change the brake fluid, or just give them a quick clean/new pads?
Last edited by Trinity765 on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lockdown refugee
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Pretty sure nothing about this is going to be easy or simple, but I need to find garage space and get it working to save my sanity!!

weeksy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:54 pm Hmmm. Yeah you do. But they're easy enough to buy.

What bike?
1996 Monster 600 (I'll check the year but pretty sure its an P plate so think that makes it a '96?)

I know I will start with the engine but till I get it in a garage and on stands I'm just thinking out loud - well, thinking on here!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Trinity765 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:07 pm I service my own callipers.

A quick service (without taking the callipers off completely or removing the pistons) is very easy. Squirt a bit of brake cleaner around, use a toothbrush to get in the narrow bits and a bit of fine sandpaper on the pad retainer pin.

If you want to remove the calliper/pistons completely you'll need a brake bleeding kit and as brake fluid is corrosive, you'll need to be careful.

What bike do you have and do you want to remove the callipers completely and change the brake fluid, or just give them a quick clean/new pads?

They'll have to come off as it will need new brake lines as well

It's been stood for years. I did the timing belt, plugs and filters 2 summers ago and then bailed on the engine due to no strength in one arm and a head injury (from cycling badly!!)

Totally understand about brake fluid. I've done quite a bit on bikes but, whilst I've done pads, I've never messed with calipers. And all my spannering (bar what's mentioned above) was pre Aug 14 2017!!

I'll ask for a tutorial when I've got the engine running!! LOL
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Noggin wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:12 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:07 pm I service my own callipers.

A quick service (without taking the callipers off completely or removing the pistons) is very easy. Squirt a bit of brake cleaner around, use a toothbrush to get in the narrow bits and a bit of fine sandpaper on the pad retainer pin.

If you want to remove the calliper/pistons completely you'll need a brake bleeding kit and as brake fluid is corrosive, you'll need to be careful.

What bike do you have and do you want to remove the callipers completely and change the brake fluid, or just give them a quick clean/new pads?

They'll have to come off as it will need new brake lines as well

It's been stood for years. I did the timing belt, plugs and filters 2 summers ago and then bailed on the engine due to no strength in one arm and a head injury (from cycling badly!!)

Totally understand about brake fluid. I've done quite a bit on bikes but, whilst I've done pads, I've never messed with calipers. And all my spannering (bar what's mentioned above) was pre Aug 14 2017!!

I'll ask for a tutorial when I've got the engine running!! LOL
Ah, well you'll have no issues sorting your brakes out :thumbup:
Lockdown refugee
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Trinity765 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:20 pm
Ah, well you'll have no issues sorting your brakes out :thumbup:
Oh, I'll be back here asking stupid questions. Been a long time since I've had a spanner in my hand!! Like I say, never messed with calipers before, just want to know if I need to buy something to make it possible to do the job when it gets to their turn!! LOL (When it gets to their turn I'll be asking pointers for the YouTube link!! :D )

Got new HT leads, need to find a battery, then see if the little bugger will turn over.

If it does, fuel lines, brake and clutch lines, a new (secondhand) tank and probably a host of other things!! :roll: :roll:

But if I don't get it running things will be quite difficult this summer!! :lol: :lol:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Iccy did a whole how to for his CBR in the "owners bikes" section.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mechanicking isn't really my thing, but one bit of advice:

If there are twin discs, ensure that all four pads (not just three) have the friction material facing the disc.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

If it’s been sitting a while it might be easier just to buy an overhaul kit with new seals and pistons.

That way you just junk the old stuff and make sure the callipers and seal grooves are clean then bang in the new bits.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Monst ... SwISNbkTc-

No idea of the quality of this , just an example.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Scotsrich wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:04 am If it’s been sitting a while it might be easier just to buy an overhaul kit with new seals and pistons.

That way you just junk the old stuff and make sure the callipers and seal grooves are clean then bang in the new bits.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Monst ... SwISNbkTc-

No idea of the quality of this , just an example.
My plan had been to but the seals and take the callipers apart to clean/make sure the pistons are ok. TBF, the whole bike cost me £200 - I'm not overly keen to spend serious money on it just yet - although, I guess that is a kit for all three callipers? So you are probably right - I'll have a look at the callipers on the bike when I get to it next and decide then :)

DefTrap wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:51 pm These are excellent
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-CLUTCH ... Sws29bxgdw
Cool. I do have a bleeder kit though, or would this be better? (I'm still a little challenged on one arm, so need things to be easy for 1.5 arms!!) :)
maccecht

Post by maccecht »

You are welcomee to take them all off the bike and post them to me and I will strip and rebuild them for you free of course just postage.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Noggin wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:40 am
Cool. I do have a bleeder kit though, or would this be better? (I'm still a little challenged on one arm, so need things to be easy for 1.5 arms!!) :)
If you have kit you're comfortable with I'd go with that, just that these are great for a few quid. I normally prime the system by sucking with me big ol' lungs then finish off with the little bleed hose.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:54 am
Noggin wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:40 am
If you have kit you're comfortable with I'd go with that, just that these are great for a few quid. I normally prime the system by sucking with me big ol' lungs then finish off with the little bleed hose.
It's been a long time but I'll see how I get on!! :D :D

maccecht wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:49 am You are welcomee to take them all off the bike and post them to me and I will strip and rebuild them for you free of course just postage.
:o Wowzers. Thank you. I kind of want to try and see if I can do it. But if it's above my skillgrade I may well take you up on that. Thank you, really kind of you :) :) :)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

fyi, your Monster might only have one front calliper, a lot of them were single disc.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:55 am fyi, your Monster might only have one front calliper, a lot of them were single disc.
I do think it is single. But need to get to it to check. Probably will find out before I find a garage! Just so I can have the bits to hand for when (hopefully) I find a garage to work on it!! :D :D
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I had a badly seized set of calipers on my Thundercat so I stripped them and replaced the seals. It was a long time ago but I don't remember the seals costing a significant amount so that looks a bit pricey. The seals I took off were still in good condition so it may be worth having a look before spending that much.
The job was simple but getting the pistons out wasn't, it took wooden blocks and a G clamp to hold the other pistons in place while an air compressor forced a stuck one out. As long as it wasn't needed urgently it's one of those jobs that I'd do myself again.