Easing back into riding after lockdown

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Scootabout

Easing back into riding after lockdown

Post by Scootabout »

I imagine I won't be the only rider who, once we're allowed full rein for leisure riding again at some point, hopefully soon, will be a bit rusty. Do our gurus have any tips for easing back into it?
Rockburner

Re: Easing back into riding after lockdown

Post by Rockburner »

I'm no guru, but i intend to take it easy, concentrate on what I'm doing, and make sure the bike is checked over first.
non quod, sed quomodo
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I was surprised how normal it feels, although road conditions meant I wasn't pushing on. But wasn't exactly crawling. It comes back quickly
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I was OK yesterday, first time riding since well before Xmas. I
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Yes, check what I'm doing on Survival Skills.
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:32 pm Yes, check what I'm doing on Survival Skills.
Link?

Hint?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Oh, come on... you know them by now ;)

www.facebook.com/survivalskills
www.survivalskills.co.uk
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills

Lots of 'stuff' on getting back into the swing... :) webinars, 60 Second Safety videos, articles :)
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

I'm surprised no juvenile smart-alec twat has been along yet to say don't worry, it's just like riding a bike ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Tricky wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:40 am I'm surprised no juvenile smart-alec twat has been along yet to say don't worry, it's just like riding a bike ;)
Hands up all those (Noggin, not you until recovery complete) who found that, occasionally, riding a bike was falling off a log?

:wave:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I've been a ride and tour leader for a few years. In 2019 I was thinking that I'd have a break from it in 2021 but the tours that I had planned for 2020 have all been moved to 2021 while at the same time, I couldn't be less enthusiastic about it.

The first one is a big one in June, 22 people to Wales for five days. That's assuming that it can go ahead (I won't know until the Welsh Minister's speech on the 12th March).

My bike is more or less ready - it's just had its 24k service, it's booked in for a new clutch (under warranty) on 30th March and it has a recently fitted chain and sprockets. It needs new brake pads which I'll do myself, my tyres are about half worn.

So, I guess I should get some practice in. I'm on the waiting list for a check ride with the IAM and I'll get to Wales as soon as I can - on my own if that's the only option.

I'll be doing lots of Sunday rides, with friends and leading groups.

My biggest concern is building up the stamina for the June trip - while attendees know deep down that if they're not feeling it, they can stay in bed or have a day off, I don't get that pleasure and that's where the commitment comes in (and the wanting a break from it all). As we're all in the same boat and all grown ups, I will give them a speech at some point about taking it easy ( :wtf: ) and to watch out for more traffic than usual in Wales with plenty of city bred tourists around who have never driven in the countryside before and assuming they have the road to themselves.

I'm sure it will all be fine :P
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I've been lucky.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:39 am while attendees know deep down that if they're not feeling it, they can stay in bed or have a day off, I don't get that pleasure
You're a growned-up. If, on the day, you're not up to it, say so.

Select a suitable individual. Give them a map / GPS co-ords, what three words. Then tell them to play nicely. With any luck, they'll leave you alone in future.
Trinity765 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:39 am I'm sure it will all be fine :P
And it probably will ;)
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Horse wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:10 am
Trinity765 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:39 am while attendees know deep down that if they're not feeling it, they can stay in bed or have a day off, I don't get that pleasure
You're a growned-up. If, on the day, you're not up to it, say so.

Select a suitable individual. Give them a map / GPS co-ords, what three words. Then tell them to play nicely. With any luck, they'll leave you alone in future.
Trinity765 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:39 am I'm sure it will all be fine :P
And it probably will ;)
I usually have a back-up/plan B. The guy who was my back up initially, couldn't do it when we rescheduled (the first time) as he then had a (rescheduled) trip that clashed. Having said that, I think his has now been cancelled (Pyrenees) so who knows. It's an experienced group and there are a number of them that are quite capable of leading.
Horse

Post by Horse »

In that case, throw a 'sicky' to get someone else to take over ;)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yeah, check the bike over first. If you havent stored it properly you may have low battery, chain might have tight spots if it hasnt been lubed properly. Possible some surface rust on discs that will feel weird but will scrub off. I had an issue with the Ducati where a servo exhaust valve there to limit noise has a habit of seizing . My first Ducati it seized open, no big deal, this one it wouldnt open after the 4 month lay off and strangled the engine. I knew it might be an issue so took relevant steps to free it up and back to pulling like a scalded cat :)

I ride every day outside lockdown but hadnt been on any bike in almost 3 and a half months so apart from bike checks just ease back into it and dont forget that every motorist at some point will still try and kill you ;)
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

And also remember that many other drivers / riders around you will also be rusty. But will probably not have been as thoughtful.....

I've done few miles on the bike in the last year and barely more in the car and am aware that not only my bike handling skills are rusty (the bike, having been cossetted isn't!) but my "road sense" is a bit numbed. So I'm allowing more time and conscious effort to help offset that.
Horse

Post by Horse »

iansoady wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:10 am And also remember that many other drivers / riders around you will also be rusty. But will probably not have been as thoughtful.....
Very noticeable at the end of lockdown 1.
dayglo jim

Post by dayglo jim »

Like many others last week I was enjoying an essential journey in the sunny weather and saw two contrasting examples on 600 sports bikes. One was a slick holeshot from four cars back in TLGP style (the car drivers probably thought it reckless) in a nice sweeping movement (full bike gear); few minutes later I saw a poor overtake in too higher gear that forced the traffic to slow to let him in (trainers and joggers)>
Skub

Post by Skub »

Correct tyre pressures.

No bike 'mod' is as cheap,pleasurable and/or effective. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

iansoady wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:10 am And also remember that many other drivers / riders around you will also be rusty. But will probably not have been as thoughtful.....

I've done few miles on the bike in the last year and barely more in the car and am aware that not only my bike handling skills are rusty (the bike, having been cossetted isn't!) but my "road sense" is a bit numbed. So I'm allowing more time and conscious effort to help offset that.
This is more the sort of thing I was thinking of. I've been out now and then for shortish trips, so the bike should be OK. It was also serviced last autumn and I've not done many miles since. However, the last 3-4 months have probably seen fewer miles on the clock than during any comparable period since I started riding 21 years ago.